News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Was Douglas Adams a Discordian?

Started by Dimocritus, August 01, 2009, 06:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on August 02, 2009, 04:54:05 PM
Indeed.  We could always draw up a list of Saints, I guess.  It'll be hella long and contnetious, though.

Cain,
remembers the sainting of Bush started off the Civil War

Woah, no way. :lol: That's AWESOME.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I agree that generally any of this is Lo5ing at heart, but since the first post noted that this is *speculation*, I might as well go ahead:

- The BOGMM is similar to the concept in the PD of the universe being pure chaos (containing both order and disorder). It meshes with the idea of reality grids.
- Dirk Gently's main mode of operation is a combination of bavarian fire drill and going with the flow. He is probably one of Adams' most discordian-esque characters.
- As it is known (this was mentioned before) that Adams was part of the hacking community in the 80s, which probably had more discordians and discordian references than you can shake a stick at (the discordian calendar app is a core part of the GNU file utilities, and any GNU-based system will have ddate), it is difficult to imagine that he didn't come into contact with some discordian 'stuff'. That said, this doesn't mean that he recognized it as discordian, nor that he identified as discordian.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

the last yatto

Quote from: la neige cône on August 01, 2009, 09:15:31 PM
if discordia is the bowl of tulips, he is the whale

i like my answer better.
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Dimocritus

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on August 06, 2009, 02:02:41 AM
I agree that generally any of this is Lo5ing at heart, but since the first post noted that this is *speculation*, I might as well go ahead:

- The BOGMM is similar to the concept in the PD of the universe being pure chaos (containing both order and disorder). It meshes with the idea of reality grids.
- Dirk Gently's main mode of operation is a combination of bavarian fire drill and going with the flow. He is probably one of Adams' most discordian-esque characters.
- As it is known (this was mentioned before) that Adams was part of the hacking community in the 80s, which probably had more discordians and discordian references than you can shake a stick at (the discordian calendar app is a core part of the GNU file utilities, and any GNU-based system will have ddate), it is difficult to imagine that he didn't come into contact with some discordian 'stuff'. That said, this doesn't mean that he recognized it as discordian, nor that he identified as discordian.

The Dirk Gently books are awesome. Far better than the Hitchhikers series, IMO.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Dimo1138 on August 06, 2009, 08:35:50 PM
Actually, I have to agree with you on that one. Maybe I should reread them though. I read them when I was ~12 and the Hitchhiker stuff just didn't seem that amusing at all to me.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Dimocritus

Quote from: fictionpuss on August 06, 2009, 09:09:13 PM
Quote from: Dimo1138 on August 06, 2009, 08:35:50 PM
Actually, I have to agree with you on that one. Maybe I should reread them though. I read them when I was ~12 and the Hitchhiker stuff just didn't seem that amusing at all to me.

I've recently re-read both the Hitchhikers and the Dirk Gently series, and honestly, Dirk holds up much better in the long run. The subject matter is a bit more thought provoking and the humor is really top notch. I like his Zen way of figuring out how to get places. He just finds a car on the high-way that looks like it knows where it's going and follows it.

Soylent Green

....Is Larry the cucumber a Discordian?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Dirk Gently was pretty good, but I still laugh out loud in public when re-reading HHG.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Dimocritus

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on August 07, 2009, 07:11:07 PM
Dirk Gently was pretty good, but I still laugh out loud in public when re-reading HHG.

The first two books in HHG were the best, after that it started to taper off a bit. I felt the last book was kind of boring. I liked the first DG better, I have an unhealthy fascination with wacky time-travel.

the last yatto

still cant believe they are making another one

Dimocritus

the last yatto

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

could be interesting.

any devaluation of the original books is solely inside your head. reading the new book can only hurt you if you let it.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"