News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

wheel of time

Started by Horab Fibslager, February 20, 2005, 10:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horab Fibslager

i've been trying to write about this for a long timewithotu givign anything away. the story is rich and complex, so it's very dificult task to say what it's about, aside from sayign there is no filthy pointy eared culry shoed devilish bastard elves in it. so here is this fromt eh website isntead:

QuoteThe Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

With this phrase, millions of readers have entered a world strikingly real, rich in detail and complexity,Äîthe world of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time. A world of kings, queens, and Aes Sedai,Äîwomen who can tap the True Source and wield the One Power, which turns the Wheel and drives the universe: a world where the war between Light and Shadow is fought every day.

At the moment of Creation, the Creator bound the Dark One away from the world of humankind, but more than three thousand years ago, Aes Sedai, then both men and women, unknowingly bored into that prison outside of time. The Dark One was able to touch the world only lightly before the hole was soon sealed over. But the Dark One's taint settled on saidin, the male half of the Power, and every male Aes Sedai went mad. In the Breaking of the World they destroyed civilization and changed the very face of the earth, sinking mountains beneath the sea and bringing new seas where land had been.

Now only women bear the title Aes Sedai. Commanded by their Amyrlin Seat and divided into seven Ajahs named by color, they rule the great island city of Tar Valon, where their White Tower stands, and are bound by the Three Oaths, fixed into their bones with saidar, the female half of the Power: To speak no word that is not true, to make no weapon for one man to kill another, and never to use the One Power against another except as a weapon against Shadowspawn or, in the last extreme, of defending her own life or that of her Warder or another sister.

Men still are born who can learn to channel the Power, or worse, who will channel one day whether they try to or not. Doomed to madness, destruction, and death by the taint of the saidin, they are hunted down by the Aes Sedai and gentled, cut off forever from the Power for the safety of the world. No man goes to this willingly. Even if they survive the hunt, they seldom survive long after gentling.

For more than three thousand years, while empires rose and fell, nothing has been so feared as a man who can channel. But for all those three thousand years there have been the Prophecies of the Dragon, that the seal of the Dark One's prison will weaken and he will touch the world once more, and the Dragon, who sealed up that hole, will be Reborn to face the Dark One again. A child, born in sight of Tar Valon on the slopes of Dragonmount, will grow up to be the Dragon Reborn, the only hope of humanity in the Last Battle.

A world of kings and queens, nations and wars, where the White Tower rules only Tar Valon but even kings and queens are wary of Aes Sedai machinations. A world where the Shadow and the Prophecies loom together.

This is the world Robert Jordan invites all to enter. This is the world of The Wheel of Time.

i think turd'll back me up here when i say this is a damned good series, worthy of many, many long hours on the couch or udner a tree reading while everyone else is wasting time doing stuff. i want them to mak ean mmorpg out of it, because i think more than any other series of books or universe, this sotry would make a great setting for roleplaying.
Hell is other people.

gnimbley

I read the first book. It was okay. Very repetitive though. Journey to
a village, be attacked, go to the next village, be attacked...

At the pace they were going it was going to take at least six books to
get to the place they were going, and then, suddenly, they find this
convenient tunnel - dark and treacherous, ooooo - and skip to their
destination where they have the climatic battle, and...

And, of course, they win but nothing is settled, other than the groundwork
for an limitless number of sequels.

I never picked up another of Jordan's books. Of course, now I am
reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and have two
novels by Anna Kaven on deck after that, so what do I know?

Horab Fibslager

the first 3 books is all setup. but if you think it was jsut journey to a vilalge, be attack, journey to another village be attacked again, then you obviously didn't read it.

since it's:(spoiler)
get attacked, journed to a town, get discovered, journey get attacked ont eh journey get split up after venturing into ancient evil city, soem charachter travel village to vilalge toward certain direction, soem charachters do other thign setc.

plus it's more fo a charachter study that takes place over days and weeks nstead of jumping ahead months and years when the author gets bored.

i guess there's no accounting for taste eh?
Hell is other people.

East Coast Hustle

WOT IS TEH w00t!

fo' real tho'...best fantasy series since LotR, hands down...

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Merciless Heathen

Wheel of Time kicks ass, currently on Fires of Heaven. Yes, best part is, NO FUCKING ELVES, and seriously lacking in the long-bearded goofy hat wearing wizard dept. as well.
If you like fantasy without the typical fantasy bullshit that everyone rips off Tolkien, check out Sword of Truth also, which is a little more adult oriented than Wheel of Time. Also without the fucking elves.

I just read the part where Rand and a big fuckload of Aiel retake Cairhein from Couladin. Lots of shit blows up, lots of fuckers die.

I go to a weird ass European high school where all the classes are in some fucked moonman language that I can only barely understand, if it were not for Wheel of Time I would have died of utter boredom in class long ago. THANK YOU ROBERT JORDAN
Ja jsem Keltsy Pohon Valečník!!! AGBAR!!!!!!!!

Merciless Heathen

Quotei want them to mak ean mmorpg out of it, because i think more than any other series of books or universe, this sotry would make a great setting for roleplaying.

oh yeah, btw, there IS a wheel of time RPG out there somewhere, either it wasn't succesful or its still in development, I'm not quite sure. Not exactly a typical RPG from what I read. Also the game is only set in the wheel of time world, has nothing to do Rand or any of that shite.
You can choose from like five different characters or something, the Commander of the Children, The Amrylin Seat, and I forget which others. Anyway, its like a strategy game or something, your PC can only use ter'angreal, and aside from that you just order around your soldiers, Trollocs, Aes Sedai, or whoever depending on which side you're playing I can''t remember the website, unfortunately, just search it on google, maybe you'll find it, but its there somewhere.
Ja jsem Keltsy Pohon Valečník!!! AGBAR!!!!!!!!

Ghost In The Machine

Quote from: horabi've been trying to write about this for a long timewithotu givign anything away. the story is rich and complex, so it's very dificult task to say what it's about, aside from sayign there is no filthy pointy eared culry shoed devilish bastard elves in it. so here is this fromt eh website isntead:

QuoteThe Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

With this phrase, millions of readers have entered a world strikingly real, rich in detail and complexity,Äîthe world of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time. A world of kings, queens, and Aes Sedai,Äîwomen who can tap the True Source and wield the One Power, which turns the Wheel and drives the universe: a world where the war between Light and Shadow is fought every day.

At the moment of Creation, the Creator bound the Dark One away from the world of humankind, but more than three thousand years ago, Aes Sedai, then both men and women, unknowingly bored into that prison outside of time. The Dark One was able to touch the world only lightly before the hole was soon sealed over. But the Dark One's taint settled on saidin, the male half of the Power, and every male Aes Sedai went mad. In the Breaking of the World they destroyed civilization and changed the very face of the earth, sinking mountains beneath the sea and bringing new seas where land had been.

Now only women bear the title Aes Sedai. Commanded by their Amyrlin Seat and divided into seven Ajahs named by color, they rule the great island city of Tar Valon, where their White Tower stands, and are bound by the Three Oaths, fixed into their bones with saidar, the female half of the Power: To speak no word that is not true, to make no weapon for one man to kill another, and never to use the One Power against another except as a weapon against Shadowspawn or, in the last extreme, of defending her own life or that of her Warder or another sister.

Men still are born who can learn to channel the Power, or worse, who will channel one day whether they try to or not. Doomed to madness, destruction, and death by the taint of the saidin, they are hunted down by the Aes Sedai and gentled, cut off forever from the Power for the safety of the world. No man goes to this willingly. Even if they survive the hunt, they seldom survive long after gentling.

For more than three thousand years, while empires rose and fell, nothing has been so feared as a man who can channel. But for all those three thousand years there have been the Prophecies of the Dragon, that the seal of the Dark One's prison will weaken and he will touch the world once more, and the Dragon, who sealed up that hole, will be Reborn to face the Dark One again. A child, born in sight of Tar Valon on the slopes of Dragonmount, will grow up to be the Dragon Reborn, the only hope of humanity in the Last Battle.

A world of kings and queens, nations and wars, where the White Tower rules only Tar Valon but even kings and queens are wary of Aes Sedai machinations. A world where the Shadow and the Prophecies loom together.

This is the world Robert Jordan invites all to enter. This is the world of The Wheel of Time.

i think turd'll back me up here when i say this is a damned good series, worthy of many, many long hours on the couch or udner a tree reading while everyone else is wasting time doing stuff. i want them to mak ean mmorpg out of it, because i think more than any other series of books or universe, this sotry would make a great setting for roleplaying.

But the question remains:  Will Robert Jordan EVER finish a series?

DJRubberducky

Quote from: horabi want them to mak ean mmorpg out of it, because i think more than any other series of books or universe, this sotry would make a great setting for roleplaying.
Wheel of Time is probably one of the most-often ripped-off settings for MU*s out there, in case you get impatient waiting for a graphical version.

The odds of finding a really authentic one are slim to none for legal reasons, but still. :D  http://www.pandapub.com/
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

Horab Fibslager

Quote from: Merciless Heathen
Quotei want them to mak ean mmorpg out of it, because i think more than any other series of books or universe, this sotry would make a great setting for roleplaying.

oh yeah, btw, there IS a wheel of time RPG out there somewhere, either it wasn't succesful or its still in development, I'm not quite sure. Not exactly a typical RPG from what I read. Also the game is only set in the wheel of time world, has nothing to do Rand or any of that shite.
You can choose from like five different characters or something, the Commander of the Children, The Amrylin Seat, and I forget which others. Anyway, its like a strategy game or something, your PC can only use ter'angreal, and aside from that you just order around your soldiers, Trollocs, Aes Sedai, or whoever depending on which side you're playing I can''t remember the website, unfortunately, just search it on google, maybe you'll find it, but its there somewhere.

fixed your quote there, yeah ii've beenover to dragon mount and saw that, it's apaprently goign to be on the "the elder scroll 4" engine, which i sa bad diea, considering how bad tes3(morrowwid) sucked(nto that it didn;t have it's high points, tho they're purely sugarcoating on a rotten brussel sprout core). i palyed th edemo for the fps game, was pretty silly, was trying to find a torrent for it but couldn't, don't think it's possibel to even buy the game at all anymore, unless soemone can find it in a bargain bin somewhere.

after soem trying this past year, i decided id idn't like mud's, and i think one i did try was a wot themed one. i was thinking something alogn the lines of a modern mmorpg interface, 3rd person perspective, tho iwth loads of interactivity and content and whantot.

gitm: i think he will finish the seres, i dunno how he'll do it in only two books, the 11th(2nd last one) is done but in editing and to be released in october apparently. of course then after that he's goign to finish the new spring trilogy, adn there's the comic coming out soon, which may be the first comics i buy in years(the art looks uber awesome, but there's always the feeling of wasting 5$ on 10 pages of story)
Hell is other people.

East Coast Hustle

I heard there were supposed to be two more volumes coming after the 11th which supposedly comes out this summer/fall

8)

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Horab Fibslager

that'd be uber cool, given i find it hard to beleive he coudl insih it in only the two planned or whatever from my source.

don't get yoruhopes up tho, apparently(coudln't find it tho-at dragonmount.com) their soruce for there only being 12 books in total for the main story is direct from jordan himself... tho time will tell eh.
Hell is other people.

East Coast Hustle

near as I can tell, RJ takes perverse pleasure in telling his most loyal fans baldfaced lies about the series.

8)

Horab Fibslager

Quote from: Bathory's Sainthoodnear as I can tell, RJ takes perverse pleasure in telling his most loyal fans baldfaced lies about the series.

8)

makes thign sinteresting anyways. they've got some uh interesting theories over there, despite how he alludes to things all over the place cosntantly. it may be more apparent on the 2nd read.
Hell is other people.

fluffy

which is better
wheel of time
or
wheel of fortune

wheel of fortune
is the walmart
of american tv
therefore it pwns everything

Chef

Quote from: fluffy
which is better
wheel of time
or
wheel of fortune

wheel of fortune
is the walmart
of american tv
therefore it pwns everything

VANNA WHITE HAS TEH BOOBS.

TEH WINNAR!
CHEF LIVES IN A MANTION.  YUO LIVE IN TENSE.