News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

I demand great justice!

Started by Cain, May 10, 2005, 05:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJRubberducky

Quote from: ScribeThe local bookstopre put Sun-Tzu in the business section.
That's also where one of the chain bookstores (I forget if it's B&N or Borders) has decided Miyamoto Musashi's The Book of the Five Rings should also go.

This one is *not* a prank or MF - I went looking through the history section, then the biographies section just in case, then finally broke down and asked someone, and they *pointed* me there, which is in fact where I found it.

Sad. :cry:
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

Cain

Just dont go there, Musashi is my personal hero, and when you read what he actually says about businessmen,(hehe) it almost makes up for it....

Mangrove

yeah scribe, i agree - doing A-level economics is a long way from warrior culture...lol..

musashi often gets chucked into business sections as well. in my local waterstones though it's in both 'martial arts' and 'mind/body/spirit'.

oh...did you know there's a new musashi bio out by kenji tokitsu? big think hardback monster   :twisted:
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Cain

Yeah? Im not surprised, Musashi did alot and started early (13 I believe). Kenji Tokistsu is a good writer too, I already have another of his books.

Ghost In The Machine

Quote from: ScribeYeah? Im not surprised, Musashi did alot and started early (13 I believe). Kenji Tokistsu is a good writer too, I already have another of his books.

But who would win in a fight?  Musashi, or Sun Tzu?

Mangrove

Quote from: ScribeYeah? Im not surprised, Musashi did alot and started early (13 I believe). Kenji Tokistsu is a good writer too, I already have another of his books.

have you read 'ki in the martial arts'? that's the only tokitsu i have, but i did get into it....translation was a little lumpy though - japanese to french to english...lol..

Cain

Yeah, I have that, in places it is abit annoying, but I was surpised when I found out it was a 3 way translation...

Mangrove

Quote from: ScribeYeah, I have that, in places it is abit annoying, but I was surpised when I found out it was a 3 way translation...

i've just finished reading 'hara - the divine centre in man'...or something like that. written in the 1950s by a german guy trying to explain the eastern notions of 'hara'....again, good read but lumpy. take an inscrutable oriental notion, put it in german and then into english? poetry it aint....

East Coast Hustle

Sun-Tzu and Musashi in the business section makes perfect sense, regardless of what the suthors might feel about being categorized as such.

hell, the reason I bought Art of War when I was 19 was to become a more effective drug dealer...pure dumb luck that it's even more suited to my current objectives. Also, the Japanese used to make their salarymen read the Book of 5 Rings and apply it's teachings to the business world, so it's only natural that the mouth-breathing americans would follow suit in a vain effort to play catch-up.

anyway, they don't really have a "subversion/revolution" section in Borders.

8)
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

True, but I'm still going to kick the shit out of every business degree student I can tomorrow.  They deserve it for being rubgy playing deadbeats anyway.

8)

Quoteanyway, they don't really have a "subversion/revolution" section in Borders.

I wondered why they gave me a funny look when I said my copy of the Communist Manifesto had no explosives index....