News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

Books That No One Should Read

Started by A.N. Other, August 27, 2008, 04:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Quote from: Kai on August 28, 2008, 03:50:15 PM
Quote from: LMNO on August 28, 2008, 03:48:58 PM
Quote from: Kai on August 28, 2008, 03:45:57 PM
Anything by Terry Goodkind.

Srsly, if the road to hell is really, fully, and completely paved with adverbs, then reading Goodkind is, well...you get the idea.

Fixed for meta.

True dat.

Indubitably.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on August 28, 2008, 03:58:11 PM
Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2008, 11:05:57 AM
The Bible sucks hairy goat balls.  Awful writing, boring plot, nothing of interest whatsoever.  "Elia who begat Noah who begat Adam who begat Joesph who begat NO-ONE GIVES A FUCKING SHIT, THATS WHO."

Nah, you're missing the point. If you disregard any preconceived notions and all the common Christian misperceptions, Christ's philosophy is essentially Western Taoism. Christians have really butchered it with all of their homophobia and everything, but Jesus, whatever else he may have been, is still one of my favorite philosophers. Also, there really is a lot of wisdom in the Old Testament. The thing is, you can't read it as a religious text that anybody really took literally. If you think in terms of "why would they have written this?", you can, at the very least, learn a lot about ancient cultures.

I still think the Bible is the biggest Golden Apple of Discord ever dumped on humanity.

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

nostalgicBadger

Quote from: Cainad on August 28, 2008, 04:55:56 PM
The Bible sucks hairy goat balls.  Awful writing, boring plot, nothing of interest whatsoever.  "Elia who begat Noah who begat Adam who begat Joesph who begat NO-ONE GIVES A FUCKING SHIT, THATS WHO."

Nah, you're missing the point. If you disregard any preconceived notions and all the common Christian misperceptions, Christ's philosophy is essentially Western Taoism. Christians have really butchered it with all of their homophobia and everything, but Jesus, whatever else he may have been, is still one of my favorite philosophers. Also, there really is a lot of wisdom in the Old Testament. The thing is, you can't read it as a religious text that anybody really took literally. If you think in terms of "why would they have written this?", you can, at the very least, learn a lot about ancient cultures.

I still think the Bible is the biggest Golden Apple of Discord ever dumped on humanity.

Troof.

Well, people read the bible in a dangerous way. The bible should be read as a philosophical text. Or a historical text. Or anything, really, except as a religious text, because religion always misleads people.
meh.

Cain

Don't care about Christianity.

Don't care about Judaism.

Have actually read a fair bit of the Bible on my own.

Still sucks as literature, still sucks as writing.

LMNO

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on August 28, 2008, 08:51:58 PM
A few of the psalms are nice.

Granted.  But they do not make up for....well, pretty much everything else.

nostalgicBadger

Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2008, 08:51:06 PM

Don't care about Christianity.

Don't care about Judaism.

Have actually read a fair bit of the Bible on my own.

Still sucks as literature, still sucks as writing.

Still one of the most influential books in the history of western civilization,
still worth reading, if only in a "know thy enemy" sort of way.
meh.

Cain

Influential =/= good reading.  Mein Kampf was influential, and it was still crap.  Kant's Critique of Pure Reason was influential, and also crap.  The Koran is hella influential, and possibly even more shit than the Bible (more coherent, but less psychedelic apocalyptic imagery to make up for wading through hundreds of pages of crap).

And if I wanted to know my enemy, why would I read the Bible?  Its clear they haven't, or else we wouldn't be having a problem.

nostalgicBadger

Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2008, 09:20:10 PM
Influential =/= good reading.  Mein Kampf was influential, and it was still crap.  Kant's Critique of Pure Reason was influential, and also crap.  The Koran is hella influential, and possibly even more shit than the Bible (more coherent, but less psychedelic apocalyptic imagery to make up for wading through hundreds of pages of crap).

And if I wanted to know my enemy, why would I read the Bible?  Its clear they haven't, or else we wouldn't be having a problem.

The funny thing about knowledge is that not everything worth knowing is fun to learn.
meh.

A.N. Other

Well, it does seem crap gets the wins. Not quite sure why this is, but if any more pointless holy books get written along the same styles of the bible and the koran, there isn't going to be a planet left to fight their wars on. Not that it would be a bad thing. Maybe without a planet, the idiots will finally work together. Or fight on the moon.

OK, pointless rambling is over. Back to the usually scheduled thread.
"Wow, for an asshole, everyone loves you, honey." -My wife

Vene

What?  I fucking love the Bible.  I have never picked up a book that is filled with as much sex and violence.

Cain

Quote from: nostalgicBadger on August 28, 2008, 09:34:48 PM

The funny thing about knowledge is that not everything worth knowing is fun to learn.

Keep shifting those goal posts.

nostalgicBadger

Quote from: Cain on August 29, 2008, 09:22:10 AM
Quote from: nostalgicBadger on August 28, 2008, 09:34:48 PM

Keep shifting those goal posts.

Now wtf are you talking about?
The thread is called "books that no one should read", not, "books that we don't particularly enjoy." At St. John's College in Annapolis, which is not really religiously affiliated (despite its name), major religious texts are required reading. This is not because the school promotes the beliefs conveyed in those texts, but because they have had such a major impact on society since they were written that any intelligent, well rounded individual should be familiar. The Principia Discordia isn't exactly a brilliant piece of literature either, or anyway, it has no more literary merit than the bible. I could preach misinterpretations to a bunch of people too and have them turn it into something gross, and would you then say because of those people that nobody should read the Principia anymore as well?
meh.

Lupernikes_shadowbark

I second (or probably third or forth it by now) that sentiment!  Jesus was indeed a Buddhist!  There more of his philosophy I read the more I see Eastern thought predominant but presented in such a way as Western minds can wrap themselves around.  What happened when folk wrote it down though....