News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

Wankassery

Started by BADGE OF HONOR, October 26, 2005, 07:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BADGE OF HONOR

Or, What the hell is wrong with being intelligent AND well-spoken?

Read this carefully:

Quote from: Roland BarthesA text is not a line of words releasing a single "theological" meaning (the "message" of the Author-God), but a multidimensional space in which a variety of writings, none of them original, blend and clash.

Now, I know what Mr. Barthes is getting at...sort of...after several hours of learning about linguistics, semiotics, structuralism, and post-structuralism (deconstruction).  So I know that he has made a point--the question is, is there any point to the point?  

Postmodernism and deconstruction are said to be "tools" by which people analyze the world and the products of it.  Many things are kept in mind, such as the influence of perception on meaning, the plasticity of perception, cultural relativism, the media by which messages are conveyed, etc etc etc.  It's the bastard child of psychology and sociology, with a little semiotics thrown in.  

When reading about these sort of things, they seem interesting enough.  

But try actually reading a postmodernist "scholarly" text.  

I dare you.

All of these interesting little bits and pieces don't actually add up to anything.  They have little to do with actual postmodern practices.  You want to know why?  Huh?

To put it simply, postmodern intelligentsia is infected with jargon.

Now, jargon is perhaps a cause, and perhaps a symptom.  Either way, nobody says anything worth reading.  Art, literature, philosophy, and all the parasitical* practices that surround them, have descended into pure gibberish.  Is it a defensive measure?  Has It All Been Done?  Is it a bizarre and sadistic form of competition to see who can be the most incestuously baroque?  I don't know.  All I know is people can get away with things like this:

Quote from: Arundhati RoyAs Khubchand lay dying on his cushion, Estha could see the bedroom window reflected in his smooth, purple balls. And the sky beyond. And once a bird that flew across. To Estha—steeped in the smell of old roses, blooded on memories of a broken man—the fact that something so fragile, so unbearably tender had survived, had been allowed to exist, was a miracle. A bird in flight reflected in an old dog’s balls. It made him smile out loud.

QuoteThe sculpted hollows on either side of his taut, beautiful buns. Tight plums. Men’s bums never grow up.**

Shiny purple dog balls.  And this is one of the seminal texts of postmodern literature.  I know for a fact that she edited three pages of the entire thing.  Three pages.  A pile of stream-of-consciousness purple-dog-ball-tight-plum-bum SHIT.

NO WONDER PEOPLE WANT TO BE STUPID.

When it takes a hundred times as much explaining to understand something as it takes to look at it, it's time to go home and take a fucking nap and a common-sense suppository.

*Meaning dependent on, not but not inimical to
**Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Horab Fibslager

i think i lost ya there...

rawr!
Hell is other people.

BADGE OF HONOR

Well, I made the important part extra-big for the lazy folk.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Horab Fibslager

i want to be punk rock!
Hell is other people.

LHX

neat hell

LMNO

1. The God of Small Things was crap.  But apparently, you knew that.

Quote from: Roland Barthes
A text is not a line of words releasing a single "theological" meaning (the "message" of the Author-God), but a multidimensional space in which a variety of writings, none of them original, blend and clash.  Including what you are reading right now.
Fixed that for him.  Most commentary on post-modernism/deconstructionalists seem to exclude their own writings from the process.

Then again, I may be missing the whole point.  I never said I was smart.

Mangrove

solution?

bob bob bob...blink blink.

it's the only way.

i purchased barthes' "image/music/text" when i was at university because the cliched post modern politcally correct literature brigade made out like it was the BEST THING EVAR.

i didn't read it at the time because...well...i just didn't. i picked it up the other day and had a flip through. it's pointless incomphrensible slop and i'm glad i never wasted my time on it.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

LMNO

Also:  Those are some shiney fucking dog testicles!

Cain

I dig your dislike of postmodernism.  Nice rant too.