News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

THOUGHTS ON WATCHMEN MOVIE, MOST OF WHICH ARE NOT BY FRED

Started by Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ, March 08, 2009, 04:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the last yatto

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on March 14, 2009, 05:17:54 PM
Quote from: Cain on March 14, 2009, 04:55:16 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on March 14, 2009, 04:53:33 PM
Been meaning to ask - how does the cat look in the movie?

it's the one character I don't think I've seen any pics of

There is only a brief appearance, near the end, but it looked alright, from what I remembered. 

A brief appearance near the end, WTF??

cartoon seems to give them a shaggy and scooby vibe doesnt it
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

LMNO

Quote from: LMNO wants to smother smokngoat with a pillow. on March 16, 2009, 06:02:14 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on March 16, 2009, 05:09:53 PM
Quote from: LMNO wants to smother smokngoat with a pillow. on March 16, 2009, 12:45:13 PM
000; pirate story is allegory of the main theme.

ok I was kinda waiting for someone to say that, I would have pointed it out but I couldn't find the right word--allegory (I thought allegory was something slightly different, but wikipedia says im wrong).

anyway I figured it would be something like that, but it was grasping too far, proper allegory should be more obvious (IMO). It almost felt like a cut-up, a story interleaved with another, giving the suggestion of an allegory, but if the pirate story was one, I really felt any random story could have been.

Which bits of the story correspond to which bits of the main theme then? Especially since the pirate story reaches its conclusion before the main one does.

QuoteAlso, author of pirate story wrote the telepathic script to put in giant squid's head.

okay I gotta admit I missed that part. I only skimmed that bit of text between the chapters, read most of the others, but since the story wasnt that compelling (IMO), I didnt feel like reading it. FTR, I did read the other between-texts, though.

all in all, I suppose the Watchmen comic didn't impress me much, because I only just finished reading Transmetropolitan in one action packed hate fun horrormirth reading streak, which was 10x more awesome (IMO). And it appears to be where Roger gets a lot of his lines from :-) [or maybe it's the other way around  :eek:]

An innocent man is witness to horror, and sees the horror en route to slaughter all he knows and loves best.

To save them, he first endures comitting horrible acts in order to get to a place he can stop the threat.

Deranged by fear and the atrocities he has witnessed, he winds up acting out the horror he wished to avoid.

He eventually sees he is dammned by his own pathetic attempts to save that which he had loved.

I think it's perfectly clear, actually.

In case 000 missed this amongst all the spaggishness.

Thurnez Isa

I know this is a bump

Just seen this movie, and coming from someone who never read the book (or comic, I think it's a comic) I was confused and bored. I think it was because I didn't have any emotional connection to any of the characters going in I just didn't fully grasp what the film maker was getting at.
It looked nice, but was very long, and WAY too many characters who I had no attachment with. So unfortunately I got bored. Not cause I was craving more action, actually was craving less and more back story if that makes sense.

I'm going to watch it again during the Christmas holidays next month with my friend who knows about the source material so that might change my opinion.

Just wanted to give my two cents on the movie, coming from someone who didn't even hear about the source material till this year, and only really from this site and few other internet sites.

This seems like more of a movie for the fans, (which is not a bad thing) so if your like me in your lack of knowledge of the source material and your thinking of buying it maybe rent it first.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Faust

Seems like a reasonable summary, the film was sterile, boring, and generally more miss then hit.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Triple Zero

i had the same feeling when I read the comic. then I watched the movie and loved it. IMO, you have to see it twice, I think, because the story is a lot cooler if you see it all coming.

also somewhere on this board (or in this thread maybe) is some kind of philosophical deconstruction on Watchmen, I read that in between the comic and the movie and it was very helpful on appreciating the movie.

also, when I read the comic, I kind of glossed over the "alternative history" element in the story :oops: but then, I think it's harder to miss that with the movie.

just be thankful the movie didn't have the pirate comic-in-a-comic "watch the author fail at allegory" bullshit.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Faust

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 03, 2009, 07:21:30 PM
i had the same feeling when I read the comic. then I watched the movie and loved it. IMO, you have to see it twice, I think, because the story is a lot cooler if you see it all coming.

also somewhere on this board (or in this thread maybe) is some kind of philosophical deconstruction on Watchmen, I read that in between the comic and the movie and it was very helpful on appreciating the movie.

also, when I read the comic, I kind of glossed over the "alternative history" element in the story :oops: but then, I think it's harder to miss that with the movie.

just be thankful the movie didn't have the pirate comic-in-a-comic "watch the author fail at allegory" bullshit.
While the pirate story is pretty bland and uninteresting It does make the squid ending tangible and keep up the suspension of disbelief, granted that would never have worked for the film and I am glad they didn't attempt it.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Fredamir Putin on March 08, 2009, 04:43:57 AM
my dad was displeased with frequent viewing of dr manhattans blue glowing penis  :lulz:

bump to comment on something that bothers me (not with Fred's dad but people in general):

JESUS MONTE CHRISTO ON A CRACKER, Dr. Manhattan's wang gets a grand total of maybe 10 seconds of screen time if you add it all up. Holy fuck when will the world I live in quit being made of 5th-graders? :crankey:

Triple Zero

srsly I was looking for his pen0r, the way people went on about it, I was expecting at least one close up, but the only times when I think I saw it was from a distance and a bit unclear cause he's being all blue and glowy.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

the other anonymous

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 06, 2009, 01:26:53 AM
srsly I was looking for his pen0r, the way people went on about it, I was expecting at least one close up, but the only times when I think I saw it was from a distance and a bit unclear cause he's being all blue and glowy.

You're not looking hard enough.

East Coast Hustle

I just saw this movie for the first time.

I'm not impressed, but for totally different reasons than I expected.

I figured that I'd mostly dig the movie until the changed ending, which I figured would totally piss me off.

Most of the movie was pretty boring and utterly lacked the suspense that propelled the book, but the revised ending actually seemed to fit better and make more sense in the narrative than the original ending.

At least they did a good job of making the characters look sort of like they did in the book.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 06, 2009, 06:03:08 AM
I just saw this movie for the first time.

I'm not impressed, but for totally different reasons than I expected.

I figured that I'd mostly dig the movie until the changed ending, which I figured would totally piss me off.

Most of the movie was pretty boring and utterly lacked the suspense that propelled the book, but the revised ending actually seemed to fit better and make more sense in the narrative than the original ending.

At least they did a good job of making the characters look sort of like they did in the book.

The more I think about it the more Terry Gillian's idea of making a 10 part mini series for television sounds better. Of course it would have been unfilmable in his opinion, costing a million dollars a page - but that was almost 20 years ago now, and with modern technology, as an HBO special I think it could have worked.
Well it least they didn't let Micheal Bay direct it (he was one of the first directors suppose to tackle it) though the director of Requiem of a Dream (don't remember his name) was the second director. He wanted to set it in modern times with Vietnam being replaced with Iraq, Nixon replaced with Bush, ect. which made the studio a little nervous.  :lulz:
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

East Coast Hustle

Darren Aronofsky.

Who got dumb lucky with "Requiem for a Dream", apparently, since everything else he ever directed is absolute shit.

Yes, even Pi. Especially Pi.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Faust

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 06, 2009, 08:50:59 PM
Darren Aronofsky.

Who got dumb lucky with "Requiem for a Dream", apparently, since everything else he ever directed is absolute shit.

Yes, even Pi. Especially Pi.
The Fountain is far better then RFAD