News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

Hip Like Me

Started by Salty, March 21, 2012, 01:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty

I propose to travel deep into the hipster world, the hipster mind. I will document my experiences for posterity, and the practice. 

I will drink PBR and ONLY PBR. (whatever is cheapest as subst.)
I will purchase and wear any hat that is moderately hips and wear it in that way they do, I will purchase skinny jeans and appropriate shoes, other clothes as needed to ensure MAX Hipness. 
I will only listen to hipster music. 
I will only watch hipster movies. 
I will take ALL advice concerning what is and what is not hipsteriffic.
I will apply this advice broadly and like unto a piston in the face to those who are less hip than I.

My goal will be to see what life is like as a bona fide, trying as hip as you can hipster. Then, when I am genuinely trying to be a hipster and irony fades into the dust I will no longer be a hipster because I'm trying and that means that I'm just a poseur and not a real for real hipster because their whole thing is not thinking about what you think about them THUS:

I will destroy the quality of hipness from all that associated with being a hipster THUS:

Changing the entire world. 

Suggestions: GO!
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I approve of this plan.

-The Hipster
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

TWEED.  YOU NEED SOME.  GET ON IT.

Doktor Howl

You are truly a martyr for SCIENCE, Alty.  I shall pour a little out for you.  Real beer, I mean.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

El Sjaako

Flannel and fixed gear bike?

Hipsters don't want to think of themselves as hipsters, so to try to be a hipster you need to try to not think of yourself as a hipster. Thus you will only have succeeded when you feel you have failed at becoming a hipster.

Deepthroat Chopra

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on March 21, 2012, 02:54:32 AM
TWEED.  YOU NEED SOME.  GET ON IT.

Is that what Kotter wore in Welcome Back...

Do hipsters still wear pork-pie hats?

Sorry. I live in the country. Very much in the country. My neighbour said he might have spotted a hipster, about five years back.
Chainsaw-Wielding Fistula Detector

Anna Mae Bollocks

We don't have them yet either. Just emo skater types. Dok says they're proto-hipsters.
I see them in the cities, though. They're the snotty people at the shows walking around pretending they're too cool for it all and failing miserably.  :lol:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Oysters Rockefeller

Quote from: Alty on March 21, 2012, 01:17:52 AM
I will drink PBR and ONLY PBR. (whatever is cheapest as subst.)

Oh, wow. You are a braver man than I.

Get some thick black glasses and flannel.
Also, if you aren't a pretentious dick, start being one.

Reading Kerouac and then acting smarter than people who don't has done wonders for my pretentiousness, if you need a jumping off point.
Well, my gynecologist committed suicide...
----------------------
I'm nothing if not kind of ridiculous and a little hard to take seriously.
----------------------
Moar liek Oysters Cockefeller, amirite?!

Salty

I think I can handle everything except the bike.
I don't want a super tall fixed gear monster that will certainly kill me if used to face the elements of my home.

It'll be interesting to compete with Alaskan hipsters. There are a lot more than you'd think, I've seethed drunkenly in their bars before.

What am I saying? They're MY bars now. W00t!

I'm thinking of taking a few months with this, if I spiral out of control I expect proper erisian perspective to be brutally applied to my face.

Salty

I do fortunately already play the ukulele.
This'll be easy!

Freeky

:lulz: 

Oh, oh!  Also you need khaki pants that are a few inches too short. And some sort of button up shirt that is tacky as hell.

Nephew Twiddleton

:looks around bus for inspiration: none here right now but i saw a few last night. Grow a mustache and curl it. Or also neckbeard.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LMNO

This should help you with your fashion sense:

www.latfh.com

Salty

Facial hair is a no go, sadly. Maybe someday! After some hormone treatments...or something.
I actually need glasses so I know what kind of frame to get.

After watching this video though,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYYKOa2KNBY
I am beginning to think I am going to hate myself before very long. Anything for SCIENCE!.

Thanks for the links, guys.