News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

So Just Exactly What ARE We Doing, Anyway?

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 26, 2011, 06:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Utopia

In addition to everything written so far:

1)  Let's not be shitheads to each other, and endeavor to treat each other right good forever.
2)  Except for those who deserve it.
3)  Form more cabals, as it's easier to apply #1 between like-minds

Nephew Twiddleton

Another question I keep asking myself is, how useful is the internet to us (other than to collaborate with each other and foster a sense of community), and if it has uses for us, what is the best way to go about it? In theory it's a good medium to find new ideas and spread new ideas, but there's so much noise out there. We could try and introduce a meme, but is that going to become something distorted and annoying (kinda like the drawbacks Roger points out with Kopyleft)? We could troll, and we get some good members here that way, but trolls always awaken a defense response, creating more unproductive noise. More people prefer a more subtle approach, as LMNO pointed out. Maybe this is a side topic, and if so we can pick up in it elsewhere, but the thread made me think about it.

Well, that and I was looking at "The Art of Trolling" on the Cheezburger network and started wondering what the hell is the point after reading troll after troll based on "I own a horse."
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cuddlefish

Great OP. I can totally get down with Rog's 4-point plan (and Hoops' 5-pointer), and I'm sure that I would be down to share in some others' goals, like both Cram and Nigel, as well as a handful of others. But, this question made me realize that I hadn't ever really thought about it in a way that made any solid sense, so, I guess what's below is the best way I have of wording it at the time.

For me, PD.com and Discord in general holds multiple functions, each with a different set of goals. On a simpler level, this site is both my primary news site and my primary social site, among other things. The goals concerning these functions are appropriately simple: I'm here for the news and the lulz.

On a less simpler level, this site, for me is like going to a school that I really enjoy going to. The goals of this function are to learn as much as possible from others in a range of topics, and to help teach if I can, in whichever way I can. More so, this is a great place to "test your skills," whatever they may be. It's a place where you can go for a really unbiased "pier review," so to speak. This site is the number one place I go to for real, honest-to-goddess constructive criticism. In general, this level is about sharpening the tools. And, as they do, one tool sharpens the other, and there are plenty of tools here  :wink:

However, there is a whole other level of functions that Discord has for me, and this is the toughest one for me to explain, because I understand it the least. Discordianism has taken up the slot I had previously reserved for "religious," "Spiritual," or other "faith" based activities and thoughts. This is a strange thing for me, because up until recently, things in this slot were usually "mahdjikal" in one way or another. Or, the slot was left unfilled, which led to being over nihilistic to a point of despair. So, to have something like Discord fill this slot, well, it can get confusing. But, from what I can tell from here, for now, the goals I have for this level are based on everything above. I want to gather as much information as possible, and propagate as much information as possible, with all my good pals from the interbutts and IRL, and I will do so as if it were my "religious duty," if any of that makes any sense. In this, for me, there is an inherent trend towards a type of "evangelicalism," but if you take it LMNO's way, a lot of that is result of example, as opposed to "preaching," so to speak.

I hope this made sense...
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on January 26, 2011, 07:46:58 PM
Another question I keep asking myself is, how useful is the internet to us (other than to collaborate with each other and foster a sense of community), and if it has uses for us, what is the best way to go about it? In theory it's a good medium to find new ideas and spread new ideas, but there's so much noise out there. We could try and introduce a meme, but is that going to become something distorted and annoying (kinda like the drawbacks Roger points out with Kopyleft)? We could troll, and we get some good members here that way, but trolls always awaken a defense response, creating more unproductive noise. More people prefer a more subtle approach, as LMNO pointed out. Maybe this is a side topic, and if so we can pick up in it elsewhere, but the thread made me think about it.

Well, that and I was looking at "The Art of Trolling" on the Cheezburger network and started wondering what the hell is the point after reading troll after troll based on "I own a horse."

Well, let's not get the cart before the horse.  Let's see if we can agree on objectives first, then we can discuss the means.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Cuddlefish, in the spirit of your post, especially the third paragraph, it's "peer review", not "pier review"... unless you're going to take a long walk while reviewing a short one.

Requia ☣

My goals are much the same as yours Roger, though my focus is on the second point.

Not that I've managed to contribute much.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Sister Fracture

I don't think I really have any objectives, so to speak. It would be nice to spread ideas around to other people, but I don't know how to accomplish this.

I come here for news, to socialize with people who aren't complete morons, and to get ideas for things to do, and also as a toilet for whatever I feel like writing.
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North End™

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 26, 2011, 07:55:06 PM
My goals are much the same as yours Roger, though my focus is on the second point.

Then it's time for that to change, no?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cuddlefish

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on January 26, 2011, 07:54:33 PM
Cuddlefish, in the spirit of your post, especially the third paragraph, it's "peer review", not "pier review"... unless you're going to take a long walk while reviewing a short one.

:lulz: :lulz:

I'll leave it as it is as a constant reminder to check my spell-check.

I'm not mad, though. You pointing that out to me shows you care  :wink:
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sister Fracture on January 26, 2011, 07:56:05 PM
I don't think I really have any objectives, so to speak. It would be nice to spread ideas around to other people, but I don't know how to accomplish this.

Goals first, methodology later, Fracture.  I have some ideas, and so - I suspect - do others.

Requia ☣

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 26, 2011, 07:56:40 PM

Yes, we'll talk more when you get to methods I think.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 26, 2011, 08:05:05 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 26, 2011, 07:56:40 PM

Yes, we'll talk more when you get to methods I think.

Sure.  Tomorrow night, I'm going to boil the listed goals down to their essentials, and ask if everyone is happy with them (some may be merged, etc).  Then I'm going to follow up with a framework for setting up ways to actually work toward some of these goals.  Just a framework, mind you.  This has to be a group effort, or there's no point, so I expect that people other than myself will be doing a lot of the ACTUAL methodology.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 26, 2011, 07:52:21 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on January 26, 2011, 07:46:58 PM

Well, let's not get the cart before the horse.  Let's see if we can agree on objectives first, then we can discuss the means.

Good point, will wait on this.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It's hard for me to decide whether to ignore this thread or tear it apart. :horrormirth: It pretty thoroughly represents everything that I'm against.

I'm Cramulus' nemesis for a reason. I resent any attempt to "bring us together" or find a common agenda outside of the spontaneous trolling zeitgeist that happens periodically on its own when a bunch of people think collaboration sounds fun.

The thing is, following is easy. Once an agenda is decided, people feel free to turn off their critical thinking and just go with the program. I've spent my entire life fucking with what people think they know, with only one goal in mind; to make people think. Whether they like it or not. So I can't participate in any agenda that sets an agenda other than my own, which I won't tell you.

All of us, regardless of race or income, fall into the category of bored middle-class white people. The luxury of agreeing on an agenda, the luxury of HAVING an agenda, on the Internet no less, is the domain of bored middle-class white people.

Bored middle-class white people who have agreed on an agenda are the most dangerous animal on the planet.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on January 26, 2011, 08:31:16 PM
The thing is, following is easy. Once an agenda is decided, people feel free to turn off their critical thinking and just go with the program.

That's actually something I'm trying very hard to avoid.  This is why I am discussing setting up a framework for people to work in, not another GASM.