News:

Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

Well this is fucking depressing

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 19, 2012, 07:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2219240/Tar-Sands-Canada-worlds-largest-oil-reserve-173billion-untouched-barrels.html

Not just because of the loss of wilderness, but because of the long-term (decreasingly long-term, I should say) effects on our environment. We are fucking our own goddamn habitat just as fast as we can, and our response to the news "hey, getting all the oil out of the ground and burning it is going to bring the world as we know it to an end" is "OMG! We need to get all the oil out of the ground and burn it before the world comes to an end!"

FOR PROFITS.

GOTTA MAKE AS MANY PROFITS AS WE CAN WHILE WE STILL CAN.

It's like when you catch a little kid eating something that you know is going to make them really sick if they eat any more, and as soon as you tell them that they start eating it as fast as they can because they know you're going to make them stop.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Man Green on October 19, 2012, 07:56:26 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2219240/Tar-Sands-Canada-worlds-largest-oil-reserve-173billion-untouched-barrels.html

Not just because of the loss of wilderness, but because of the long-term (decreasingly long-term, I should say) effects on our environment. We are fucking our own goddamn habitat just as fast as we can, and our response to the news "hey, getting all the oil out of the ground and burning it is going to bring the world as we know it to an end" is "OMG! We need to get all the oil out of the ground and burn it before the world comes to an end!"

FOR PROFITS.

It's like when you catch a little kid eating something that you know is going to make them really sick if they eat any more, and as soon as you tell them that they start eating it as fast as they can because they know you're going to make them stop.

We're peripherally involved in that.  We keep saying "Hey, in about 3-5 years, we'll be able to get that shit out of the ground without killing everything for a hundred miles in every direction!  Let's cooperate on this tech, and we'll all be rich forever!"

And the 3 other companies tell us "Go shit in your hat.  FRACKING NOW.  FUCK OFF!"

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Maybe if villager and i reunite we wont bother with that whole starting a family thing.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on October 19, 2012, 08:49:38 PM
Maybe if villager and i reunite we wont bother with that whole starting a family thing.

Why?  The world has ALWAYS been going to hell.  Pollution was FAR worse at the turn of the last century.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Juana

QuotePeople flock to live there from around the world in scenes akin to the gold rush, as they look to make their fortune from oil.
It's not like mineral rushes don't ever fuck shit up forever in places they happen. Right? Right. That totally justifies the tar sands.

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 19, 2012, 08:48:47 PM

FOR PROFITS.

We're peripherally involved in that.  We keep saying "Hey, in about 3-5 years, we'll be able to get that shit out of the ground without killing everything for a hundred miles in every direction!  Let's cooperate on this tech, and we'll all be rich forever!"

And the 3 other companies tell us "Go shit in your hat.  FRACKING NOW.  FUCK OFF!"
That shit worries the hell out of me.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 19, 2012, 08:57:02 PM
QuotePeople flock to live there from around the world in scenes akin to the gold rush, as they look to make their fortune from oil.
It's not like mineral rushes don't ever fuck shit up forever in places they happen. Right? Right. That totally justifies the tar sands.

You can get the shit out cleanly.  Honest.  We're THIS close to perfecting it.

But it costs about $0.03/bbl more.   :sad:  Poor, poor oil barons.

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on October 19, 2012, 09:41:36 PM
Such a giant loss!

Oh, yeah, and I forgot to mention that you get to recover all the diesel, meaning you SAVE $0.99/bbl.

BUT THAT'S TOMORROW.  WE NEED MORE $$$ TODAY.  FUCK YOU, CANADA.

Juana

Isn't Alberta Canada's Texas? Because I think that would probably explain a lot.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 19, 2012, 08:48:47 PM

FOR PROFITS.

:horrormirth: SHORT TERM THINKING FTW!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 19, 2012, 08:56:32 PM

Why?  The world has ALWAYS been going to hell.  Pollution was FAR worse at the turn of the last century.

Pollution was. Climate change wasn't.

Our climactic trajectory is bad. Very bad. We haven't passed the point of no return yet, but we've already extracted enough oil to pass the point of no return if we burn it, and of course we will, as we're busily extracting more oil.

Phox

I've got my fiddle, I'm an expert on getting naked, and after reading this, I'm feeling just a tad bit "we don't need no water, let the motherfucker burn".

Phox,
Burn, motherfucker, burn.  :horrormirth:

The Good Reverend Roger

And do you know WHY they do that?

It's gonna piss you off.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Man Green on October 19, 2012, 09:58:28 PM

Our climactic trajectory is bad. Very bad. We haven't passed the point of no return yet, but we've already extracted enough oil to pass the point of no return if we burn it, and of course we will, as we're busily extracting more oil.

Actually, I'm thinking that climate change got it's start, and it's big boost, from 1850-1950.  Coal technology sucks major balls.

What's moving it right along now is automobile engines.  Everyone likes to think it's some Captain Planet-esque group of bad guys.  But it's all of us.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Man Yellow on October 19, 2012, 10:05:23 PM
Quote from: Man Green on October 19, 2012, 09:58:28 PM

Actually, I'm thinking that climate change got it's start, and it's big boost, from 1850-1950.  Coal technology sucks major balls.

What's moving it right along now is automobile engines.  Everyone likes to think it's some Captain Planet-esque group of bad guys.  But it's all of us.

Sure, it got its start, but that's different from a point of no return. And you're exactly right about the cars, although there are other major contributors. We have more people on earth than ever before, and a greater proportion of them than ever before drive.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/26/us-climate-thresholds-idUSBRE82P0UJ20120326

If we lose enough vegetated area that the remaining vegetation not only can't keep up with carbon emissions, but starts to die and add to them... well, "fucked forever" would be putting it lightly.