News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

BUSINESS MODEL: WE PAY GOLDMAN-SACHS TO NOT PUT US IN JAIL

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, August 03, 2012, 06:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/02/4685218/goldman-sachs-to-invest-in-nyc.html

Oh god. No way this is a good idea, but then again we already have private prison systems which profit from the criminalization of the citizenry, and they have huge and powerful lobbies which promote increased criminalization and heavier penalties.

I strongly dislike the idea that we, as citizens, are going to pay corporations for our freedom, though, which is what this amounts to.

When you realize the extent to which these corporations influence whether and for how long people are imprisoned for certain crimes, or even whether they are crimes at all, this whole mess looks even less savory.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

It looks like they only make money if the recidivism rates drop, which should mean fewer convictions...

...however...

...it occurs to me that this only reflects repeat offenders.  They would make a boatload of cash if they increased the amount of first-offender convictions, as that would statistically rase the rates of non-recidivism.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

I heard this story on the radio when I was lost in the hills this morning. I had hoped it was a side effect of the panic. Seems I wasn't panicked enough.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

tyrannosaurus vex

How long til we come all the way back around to selling indulgences?
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on August 03, 2012, 06:37:34 PM
It looks like they only make money if the recidivism rates drop, which should mean fewer convictions...

...however...

...it occurs to me that this only reflects repeat offenders.  They would make a boatload of cash if they increased the amount of first-offender convictions, as that would statistically rase the rates of non-recidivism.

Yep.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

BabylonHoruv

Will this have any particular impact on what happens if the board members/management of goldman sachs end up in New York city jails?
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

The Wizard Joseph

I did some digging and can't seem to find a reference to the time terms of the bond. That is to say how long they have to reduce said recidivism rates. I'd really like to know what kind of return on investment over time they expect. The possibility of failure that will cost up to $2.4mil over a possible $2.1mil max profit seems like a big fat risk. I know it's just a relatively small pilot program, but I'm sure the real lucre they want is control in the long term.  If this program is successful they'll likely get quite a bit of it!

Also:
Philanthropy works just fine without a profit motive GODDAMNIT!  :argh!:

And:
Babbsy, GO fuck a corpse sweetie. Relevant spags are trying to talk like adults here.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on August 03, 2012, 10:49:17 PM
I did some digging and can't seem to find a reference to the time terms of the bond. That is to say how long they have to reduce said recidivism rates. I'd really like to know what kind of return on investment over time they expect. The possibility of failure that will cost up to $2.4mil over a possible $2.1mil max profit seems like a big fat risk. I know it's just a relatively small pilot program, but I'm sure the real lucre they want is control in the long term.  If this program is successful they'll likely get quite a bit of it!

Also:
Philanthropy works just fine without a profit motive GODDAMNIT!  :argh!:

And:
Babbsy, GO fuck a corpse sweetie. Relevant spags are trying to talk like adults here.

Volunteering are you?  I'm sure the derail is appreciated (and will probably be jumped on by a few others)  I'm sure there are others who wont jump on it who could give you lessons in acting like an adult.

In regards to the actual meat of your post, Goldman Sachs doesn't make stupid investments, risky ones yes, stupid ones no, if the potential for loss is greater than that for profit than someone else is going to be paying the losses. 

Philathropy doesn't work very well at all without a profit motive in our current system.  Philanthropy without profit is a brief act of good that dies out, without making any real ripples.  Not that there is any real philanthropy in anything GS does mind you.

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

East Coast Hustle

It is a testament to my benevolent and reasonable nature that you haven't become the first and only person ever banned from PD merely for being so completely objectionable a person. Now please go back to shutting up.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"