News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

my work went from win to....

Started by -Kel-, February 11, 2010, 04:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Kel-

SUCK!!!

We have to go through a remote desktop now cause its more cost effective. But it's slow as fuck and doesn't load right and over zealous admins have blocked irc and i can't even listen to music or my online lectures.

grrrr. i need a new job.

/rant

LMNO

Hey, at least you can still post here...

:emo:

Captain Utopia

I hate over-zealous admins, and I count myself lucky I never had to be one.  Did they block irc/music on the remote desktop, or the local one?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: -Kel- on February 11, 2010, 04:05:35 PM
SUCK!!!

We have to go through a remote desktop now cause its more cost effective. But it's slow as fuck and doesn't load right and over zealous admins have blocked irc and i can't even listen to music or my online lectures.

grrrr. i need a new job.

/rant

:argh!: It's not always overzealous admins... We didn't want to block stuff here, but all the state, federal and PCI regulations just tied our hands on the subject.  :x
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

tyrannosaurus vex

is it blocked on the remote desktop or the local one?

in what way did they block it? did they remove your rights to run some programs/websites or did they block the network ports used for IRC?

chances are you can still use IRC via some subversive techy thing like i do, where i actually use IRC on my computer at home and just leave it running so i can connect to that session from wherever else i might be online.

etc
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

NotPublished

ughh that must suck a fat one Kel :( They'll soon learn that work efficieny will go down alot  8)
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

-Kel-

the tunred off the interent on the local end. they blocked the ports. I use SSH and leave it turned on at home, but its still blocked. I even told them to unblock it and got into a argument with the admin. and to add to things now.....

called in for my asthma meds, and my inhaler is out of re-fills so they have to call my doc and it will take a couple of days. I called my doc, and this is one of her days off. I got a hold of someone and they said they could get me my meds but i dont trust them. So, I'm probably going to be stuck for a couple of days to a week without an inhaler which terrifies me. And advair for a person without health insurace is $250 for one months worth. Knowing my luck, I'll have a bad attack due to my cats and being allergic to them, have to be rushed to the hospital and get a giant bill for like $5000.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: -Kel- on February 11, 2010, 09:43:34 PM
the tunred off the interent on the local end. they blocked the ports. I use SSH and leave it turned on at home, but its still blocked. I even told them to unblock it and got into a argument with the admin. and to add to things now.....

called in for my asthma meds, and my inhaler is out of re-fills so they have to call my doc and it will take a couple of days. I called my doc, and this is one of her days off. I got a hold of someone and they said they could get me my meds but i dont trust them. So, I'm probably going to be stuck for a couple of days to a week without an inhaler which terrifies me. And advair for a person without health insurace is $250 for one months worth. Knowing my luck, I'll have a bad attack due to my cats and being allergic to them, have to be rushed to the hospital and get a giant bill for like $5000.

Ohhh you speak SSH! HAWT!!!!!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Captain Utopia

If they're just doing port-blocking, you could try reconfiguring ssh (and your home firewall) to listen on port 80.  Or 443/https to mask the encrypted traffic.

-Kel-

tyrannosaurus vex

or run PuTTY on the terminal server.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

NotPublished

In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.