News:

PD.com: promoting the nomadic, war-like and democratic lupine culture since 2002

Main Menu

Dear Internet: How to get your dick wet without raping anybody

Started by Q. G. Pennyworth, October 31, 2014, 01:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

Junkenstein

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on November 03, 2014, 01:00:10 PM
I'm not sure this is a me problem...

I'm quite sure it is not.

It does appear to affect you/your threads in a disproportionate way. Unfortunately.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 03, 2014, 01:08:54 PM

It does appear to affect you/your threads in a disproportionate way. Unfortunately.

Q.G's awesome does seem to bring out a monkey response.  Or maybe it's a touch of Lewis' Law or #notalllmenz

Doktor Howl

Well, we're certainly not going to blame ourselves.  This is America.

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 03, 2014, 01:10:33 PM
I expected this from MMMW.  Not so much from Johnny.

yea, failure to punch up from MMMW.

it's not like men who are sexually assaulted get ignored and not taken seriously to a ridiculous degree. /sarcasm

I'm not saying they have it worse than women, cause it's all a symptom of toxic gendered ideas whichever way you slice it, but there is less provision and support available for dudes.

Pope Pixie Pickle

enthusiastic consent good!

shitty jokes about sexual assault survivors, bloody awful.  :argh!:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Pope Pixie Pickle on November 03, 2014, 01:15:04 PM

it's not like men who are sexually assaulted get ignored and not taken seriously to a ridiculous degree. /sarcasm

I'm not saying they have it worse than women, cause it's all a symptom of toxic gendered ideas whichever way you slice it, but there is less provision and support available for dudes.

Not really the point.  MMMW thought this was a good subject for humor.  We attract a certain amount of fucking whackjobs and/or perpetual teens, and that's just one example.
Molon Lube

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 03, 2014, 01:17:12 PM
Quote from: Pope Pixie Pickle on November 03, 2014, 01:15:04 PM

Not really the point.  MMMW thought this was a good subject for humor.  We attract a certain amount of fucking whackjobs and/or perpetual teens, and that's just one example.

true.

I was just pissing in MMMW's wheaties,

Q. G. Pennyworth

Enthusiastic consent is good for both sides. Girls are increasingly being told they're allowed to be at least a little assertive in sexual situations and they don't have a lot of good models for not being terrible either, so they can end up modelling their behavior on existing toxic masculine stereotypes.

That doesn't change the fact that statistically speaking, women are more likely than men to be victims of rape, and men are more likely than women to be rapists. Talking about male victims of rape is super important, but it can't hijack every discussion about the problem, and it really can't be the response every time someone wants to talk about better models for consent and how to specifically teach boys to recognize and ask for consent.

In fact, the only group that I'm totally okay with hijacking these discussions are trans folks who desperately need recognition of the fact that they are disproportionately the victims of sexual violence, and are almost completely left out of the discussion.

Talking to men and boys about how to get consent in terms of "here's the rules of how you get your dick wet" leaves out the gender of the person they're trying to get sexy with and is a more productive discussion (imo) than "how do we support women who have been raped?" Focusing on damage control after the fact does nothing to reduce the problem in the first place, and fosters the acceptance of rape and sexual violence as a terrible thing that just happens to people and there's fuckall you can do to stop it. Fuck that. We can be better than this shit. Obviously not all sexual violence is going to be stopped in its tracks by having better discussions about consent, but I think it's very telling that people will gladly admit to behaviors that are rape as long as you don't attach the "r" word to them. Most of us do not want to be rapists. Most rapists do not view themselves as rapists.

And I'm rambling but whatever, shit's been on my mind.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pope Pixie Pickle on November 03, 2014, 01:10:51 PM

Q.G's awesome does seem to bring out a monkey response.  Or maybe it's a touch of Lewis' Law or #notalllmenz

Something about it seems familiar.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 03, 2014, 03:15:27 PM

Ya think?

Woman brings up stats on rape, or anything remotely similar, at least one guy is COMPELLED to attempt to refute said statement, or start whining about "feminazis" (or just make unfunny jokes).  You can set your watch to it.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 03, 2014, 03:22:47 PM

Ya think?

Woman brings up stats on rape, or anything remotely similar, at least one guy is COMPELLED to attempt to refute said statement, or start whining about "feminazis" (or just make unfunny jokes).  You can set your watch to it.

It's deflection. The idea that not raping people is a choice that can be made by following certain reasonable lines of thought seems to make some people uncomfortable.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sexy St. Nigel on November 03, 2014, 04:09:42 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 03, 2014, 03:22:47 PM

Ya think?

It's deflection. The idea that not raping people is a choice that can be made by following certain reasonable lines of thought seems to make some people uncomfortable.

You can get the same behavior by saying "Bush closed VA hospitals" or "Obama is still bombing 3rd world nations".  No matter how heinous the behavior, someone will feel the need to "keep the side up".
Molon Lube