News:

It's not laughter if you're just going through the muscle movements you remember from the times you actually gave a fuck.

Main Menu

Maya, Works In Progress

Started by Telarus, January 17, 2009, 10:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 20, 2009, 12:51:46 PM
nice!

but two things
- it doesn't look very sharp?
- and I assumed you were going to use the pictures as textures as well? cause stuff looks more realistic with some scratches and dents on it.

Yeah, those were some of the issues we went over today in class. I've gotten good advice on how to show the nice sharp edge and clean up some of the blade geometry. I'll probably be building the textures myself(this class has de-focused texturing), and I also got some good advice today about how to incorporate the nicks, dings, and surface deformations that make it look like a real, weathered object into the mesh itself.

I'll be working on cleaning this up, as I can bump my grade by doing so. There will be more pics.

Oh, also- Yeah, that's my real name. PROTIP 4 STALKERS: That's my Girl's knife... she keeps it really, really sharp and doesn't care for cabbages.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Payne

I shall take care not to take any valuable cabbage with me then.

Unless I'm planning on making cabbage rolls or some such, in which case, I always appreciate help in the kitchen.

Telarus

New work in progress image. At this point I have to rework the mesh for the handle to bring out RL detail, and then work on the UV layout and textures. Pretty soon I'll have a shot of a character with the object.

Also on my plate for the next seven weeks ----> MODEL A WHOLE FANTASY VIKING AIRSHIP. That should be a good laugh for you all to watch me attempt.

Namaste
Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

CynicalCichilid

Nice work Telarus.

Shouldn't the holes through the knife blade have slightly smooth edges? Does Maya have a way of editing curve creases like blender? That would be a quick way of sorting that out and making the blade sharper.

The fantasy viking airship sounds interesting. You should make it be all steam-punk.

Telarus

Thanks. There is a bevel there (multiple edge-loops close together.. maybe a little too close), but there are also still lighting problems that I'm working out that are blowing out some details.

Ok, my thread, so I'm changing gears a bit. Now you get a list of my Viking Ship references. There'll be shots of the knife cleaned up in a while.

Some background on my next piece: I'm re-imagining a project from a few terms ago of a 'Viking' style airship from a post-apocalyptic high-magic fantasy RPG called Earthdawn (an old FASA product now produced by Redbrick). The clan of Trolls (yeah, this is a game with trolls and elves and fairies..er windlings) that built this specific ship is called the Stoneclaws, who work with living crystal. One of the major themes in the game is the high-magic aspect. PC's are all from a caste of "Adepts" that get magically enhanced skill/talents. There are shards of "True Elements" and things such as TrueFire Cannons that make use of them. True Air may be woven into a ship to enchant the Law of Similarity into it, causing it to act like it's on water while it hovers in the air, etc, etc.

I like this gameworld despite the fluffy fantasy races (PC races are- human, elf, ork, dwarf, troll, t'skrang/'swashbuckling lizardman', windling/'faerie', and obsidiman/'human-earth-elemental-blend'), mainly because the second thing I like about the setting: The Horrors and their taint on the magic-based reality. This, along with the internal world politics make any possible fluffyness of the fantasy tropes tragic and nail-bitingly frantic. The Horrors are Lovecraftian beings that range from mindless eating machines to things that feed on the sense of disgust they generate in the local farmer as they force him to butcher and eat his family. They descended on the world during a peak in the Magic Cycle (yes, this world does tie into Shadowrun) during a period known as 'the Scourge', and everyone hid the fuck underground.

In this world, the dungeons have traps for a reason (to keep Cthulhu's cousin's girlfriend from entering the Citadel and eating half the population, only to raise them as a zombie horde to drink the fear from the survivors during round 2). Even the Elves are emo for a Good Reason (The Elven Court decided to ritualistically cause thorns to grow from the bones of every Elf in the Elven Wood when the Wood's outer defenses failed during the Scourge. The Thorns cause almost unbearable pain.. but the Horrors can't feed on pain they had no hand in causing... and now all the outlying Elven communities in the greater world have to deal with every-one else's opinions about the "Tainted Queen's Blood-Elves").

Ok, my old screenshots:

Telarus, KSC,

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Telarus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2009, 09:50:10 PM
Quote from: Telarus on January 17, 2009, 10:12:53 PM
My Maya instructor

Your what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_(mother_of_Buddha)
QuoteQueen Māyā of Sakya was the birth mother of the historical Gautama Buddha, Siddhārtha of the Gautama gotra, and sister of Mahapajapati Gotami the first woman ordained by the Buddha. "Māyā" means "illusion" or "enchantment" in Sanskrit and Pāli. Māyā is also called Mahāmāyā ("great Māyā") or Māyādevī ("Queen, literally 'goddess,' Māyā").

It's also the 3d software package I'm learning.
Telarus, KSC,

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Telarus on January 25, 2009, 09:55:04 PM

It's also the 3d software package I'm learning.

Oh, I thought you were going all new-age retard on us.  Everytime I hear some fucked up twenty-something babble about how "all is Maya", I consider disproving it by kicking him in the fucking teeth.

Goddamn it, I hate that shit.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Telarus

Ok, breaking off the URL list, cause of the images in that last post.

Resources:
---------------------------------------------

Telarus, KSC,

Telarus

WIP Update:

I've done my research, and I'm going to be doing a viking-style 'clinker' built hull. This means central keel, and overlapping hull plates riveted together. We'll be using this basic cutaway image, and others I've found on the net as reference materials -

First, I'll import just my hull mesh from my previous model and set it as a reference layer.

Next, I'll import a simple character model, and scale it to human average height, duplicate it and scale the new one to average troll height. I'll set them to one side on the ground plane for now. This is used to scale the hull based on some measurements I pulled from one of the Skuldelev wreaks. Our hull ends up 45 meters long, 11m wide, with a base draft of 8m.

Next, I will draw out the 3 pieces of plank that will join to form the keel with the curve tools.

Telarus, KSC,

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,

Jasper

Hey, that's some whiz-bang stuff.  Very neat.

Captain Utopia

Very nice work ITT!  I totally suck at 3d modelling though I've had some projects (dismounted soldier simulation) which require it -  luckily though, that's just mostly requires nice simple square boxy building interiors.  But I know it's a lot harder to do than it looks!

Cainad (dec.)

This makes me want to start playing with Art of Illusion again.

Telarus

Some new pics from the current work in progress:

So this was supposed to be a few weeks long project that was due last Fri. But I had file corruption issues and lost A LOT of work. What you see here I did entirely over the weekend.

Things I've wrapped my brain around due to this strife:

-High Poly Hard Surface Models (getting crisp edges that still reflect light in the right way is hard, yo)

-Displacement! The terrain in my scene is a flat plane (NURBS) with a displacement texture on it. Then texture/specular/bump maps are applied.

-PHOTOREALISTIC RENDERING! I loves me some Mental Ray. Look at that freaking metal stand, check out the shadows. Now these pics were rendered out at "Draft" quality. I should have some "Production" quality pics up later in the week.
Telarus, KSC,