News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

Mascot

Started by Cramulus, August 03, 2009, 04:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

This is a no-wrong-answer question, just think about it and be creative. What is the mascot of the Principia Discordia community?

can you visualize an avatar that represents this thing?

Bu🤠ns

fomenter

"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Requia ☣

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: 冷蔵庫 ც℧ℜℕ∫ on August 03, 2009, 04:21:12 AM
Because i'm nice, i think Yatto posted the wrong post in the wrong thread.
This leads to a headache-inducing mindfuck when I consider the possibility that all of Yattos posts are in the wrong threads, but would somehow make sense if put into their correct context. Ouch!

As for a mascot, my immediate thought was an angry interrobang eating TGRR's avatar, but that doesn't make much sense. Perhaps in another thread. Sorry.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cramulus

I know I said there are no wrong answers, but I want to clarify my intent in starting this thread. I'm not asking for an image existing in our emote box.

I'm asking you to visualize a new avatar

is there an image, a character, a logo, a symbol of some sort which could stand for this loose network of Discordians who are all like "Think For Yourself Shmuck!" (and other things)

Cramulus

I'm thinking: Maybe a pterodactyl with glasses.

He's pretty well read, but when you see him you're still like -SWEET MERCIFUL FUCK!-

AFK

The Scrid.  I know it's not new, and I know currently it is linked to the PD.com/EB&G/POEE crowd, but I think he's a really good avatar/mascot to represent the TFY,S mentality.  Particularly I'm thinking of the original version Syn (or maybe it was someone else, I don't remember) cooked up.  (No offense Cram)  :wink:
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Triple Zero

my first thought was that furby with the expedition hat.

but then I realized I associate this guy with PD mostly: :lulz:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

Actually I think both the scrid and the lulz icon are great answers. I want to develop these images a little bit more...

:lulz: is the same guy as  :horrormirth:    - let's think about this guy more

why is he wearing a party hat? - what party is he at, anyway?
        why is he smoking a cigarette? why does he have a noisemaker?

I think he's outside, smoking a cig on the porch of the party. He's looking in the windows and laughing his ass off at someone about to get hit with a barstool.

The horrormirth icon - he doesn't have a cig, he has a noisemaker thing. Here, he's inside the party, participating. And he's overwhelmed with the horror of it all, the human condition.

As for the Scrid

he's a many armed bartender. He can serve any drink. He seems to float. I think he's at the same party as the lulz guy.

The thing about the scrid is that he's in a service role. You go to the scrid and ask for something, he silently gives it to you. This doesn't seem like a typical PD interaction to me. (Unless sometimes you order a beer and he gives you a glass of pee or something)

AFK

For the scrid, I am particularily thinking of the version that has one of the hands pointing back at the viewer.  The other hands are pointing in various directions, I would pair this with the discussions we've had about Paths, representing the many different ways a person can go.  And the finger/hand pointing back at you is kind of, silently, begging the question.  "So, where are YOU going to go?" 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Payne

Whatever the mascot is, it's going to be filled with massive contradictions, and will probably be impossible to fit into any kind of avatar due to the massive amount of different things it would have to represent.

Even the most basic philosophies of this place engender massive screeds of debate, argument and flame wars. There is the hideous and the cute, the intellectual and the silly, the disgusting and the sublime, the violence and the apathy. All of these things are important to PD, and any mascot would need to in some way reflect each of them in some way.

Also, I reckon that a lot of the things we don't immediately identify as "being" from somewhere else have actually been taken from somewhere else anyway, we're just so used to it that we don't notice/remember that any more. Originality might be a difficult thing to achieve too.

One image kinda comes to mind though. A jailer in the background, with the inmate standing in the foreground and bars between them, but it being impossible to tell who is actually in the cell and who is outside it.

Dunno if that's worth anything.