News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

Manning trial to set precedent on what "aid to the enemy" means.

Started by Doktor Howl, July 30, 2013, 05:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Subject matter aside, this article makes me sad.

QuotePfc. Bradley Manning, the former Army intelligence officer who was branded both a whistle-blower and a traitor after he sent 700,000 secret government documents to WikiLeaks, was acquitted Tuesday of aiding the enemy but convicted of most other charges.

Private First Class is not an officer rank.

QuoteWikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said from the Ecuadorean Embassy in London, where he has been hold up for more than a year to avoid extradition to Sweden, that Manning was a hero and that the case set a dangerous precedent.

"Holed", not "hold".  Who the fuck writes this stuff?

QuoteRep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., and Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger, D-Md., the chairman and ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, said that justice was served by Tuesday's verdict.

"PFC Manning harmed our national security, violated the public's trust, and now stands convicted of multiple serious crimes," they said in a joint statement. "There is still much work to be done to reduce the ability of criminals like Bradley Manning and Edward Snowden to harm our national security."

When "national security" means "doing whatever the fuck the government feels like doing, for any reason or no reason at all."

Molon Lube

Cain

Of course, this is the same House Intelligence Committee who thinks the NSA is super-awesome, when they can actually agree on what specific lie they are peddling about it that day.  I would expect no less.

And, well, dictionaries are Old Media.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 30, 2013, 09:37:12 PM
Of course, this is the same House Intelligence Committee who thinks the NSA is super-awesome, when they can actually agree on what specific lie they are peddling about it that day.  I would expect no less.

And, well, dictionaries are Old Media.

I expect illiteracy from the general public, ranging from "Texas" to "Semi-Literate", bottom to top.  I don't know why I expect anything more from staff writers.

And as for these yahoos, well, Harry S Truman is dead and gone.
Molon Lube

Cain

Well, journalism school is expensive.  Way too expensive for journalists.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 30, 2013, 09:41:05 PM
Well, journalism school is expensive.  Way too expensive for journalists.

What's funny is that Journalism degrees are mostly good for permanently unpaid interns.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

It is a good question though- who does write these things?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Junkenstein

I've actually pondered that for years.  To be honest if I pointed out every fuckup in any news story I post (Even BBC links) there's at least one typo per article usually.

There seems to be some kind of correlation between the availability of spell-checkers and the total lack of using them. Or the vast majority of articles are written by non-native speakers. That would make sense, we've outsourced most other things, why not reporting?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Left

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 30, 2013, 09:39:04 PM

I expect illiteracy from the general public, ranging from "Texas" to "Semi-Literate",

:crankey:
AR YEW IMPLINING I CAIN'T SPEL RAIGHT?

@ CPD...military culture...
I'm sure the military would have been happy to kill him for revealing  possibly illegal activities, and certainly unethical activities, of our current government...

*Mutters something about defending the constitution against enemies foreign and domestic*
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Doktor Howl

Quote from: hylierandom, A.D.D. on July 31, 2013, 01:41:52 AM

I expect illiteracy from the general public, ranging from "Texas" to "Semi-Literate",

I'm sure the military would have been happy to kill him for revealing  possibly illegal activities, and certainly unethical activities, of our current government...

*Mutters something about defending the constitution against enemies foreign and domestic*

Thing is, the military doesn't care.  It's a big stupid beast, with a rulebook for a brain.  There is no "happy" to do ANYTHING.  Just things get done.  Because.
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 31, 2013, 01:43:38 AM
Quote from: hylierandom, A.D.D. on July 31, 2013, 01:41:52 AM

Thing is, the military doesn't care.  It's a big stupid beast, with a rulebook for a brain.  There is no "happy" to do ANYTHING.  Just things get done.  Because.

Yep. The military is a bureaucracy. it does what Policy and Rules tell it to do.

Nephew Twiddleton

Militaries (and prisons for that matter) are what sociologists call total institutions. They are designed to basically strip you of your previous identity(both also give you a serial number) and build a new you from the ground up. And that new you is supposed to be you for the rest of your life. They both literally give you a uniform and you are supposed to be that uniform. Matter of fact i have no doubt that is why dok specifically chose uniforms for his metaphor for a group identity that takes your individuality over. You can use the word label or ism or what have you. But honestly i cant think of a better metaphor. And i never would have thought of it myself.

Nephew Twiddleton

I also just realized that the united states has given me- as either a citizen or otherwise legal resident- my own serial number.

Twid
Has a social security number

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: FRIDAY TIME on July 31, 2013, 06:09:43 AM
I also just realized that the united states has given me- as either a citizen or otherwise legal resident- my own serial number.

Twid

:? Did you just get one?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 31, 2013, 07:43:15 AM
Quote from: FRIDAY TIME on July 31, 2013, 06:09:43 AM

Twid

:? Did you just get one?

No, it's just that I remembered that I have one and that also counts as a form of serial number.