News:

PD.com: You wont believe our bullshit

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Just so I can get you saying it on the record, you think OWS will still be protesting in the way it is now in three months, that the three parties involved (OWS, cops, gvt) will find the status quo of sleeping in the park, et al, acceptable?

Because NYC isn't letting the tents back in.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 15, 2011, 11:54:31 PM
Just so I can get you saying it on the record, you think OWS will still be protesting in the way it is now in three months, that the three parties involved (OWS, cops, gvt) will find the status quo of sleeping in the park, et al, acceptable?

Not sure you're addressing me Dr. LMNO, but I think that OWS, specifically, may be forced to re-convene elsewhere.  I would be disappointed if they continue exactly as they are now by February, but I think the encampments will continue near Wall St. and elsewhere in NY. 

There is nothing quite like a forcible surprise eviction and seizure of one's stuff for raising hackles and making people want to dig in.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

LOLno. The camps have been pretty badly run from the beginning; adopted by anarchists and hippies with an unworkable blind consensus model. But the movement and the thinkers behind the movement are not at all done. The economy is not going to get better and people are not going to get happier.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The main reason it's not going anywhere is because the userbase is endlessly refreshable, and because the System™ is visibly pushing back. The pushing back makes monkeys want to dig in their heels and screech.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I'm not the one trying to predict the end of OWS. Don't try to foist your OWS eschatology onto me.

You also haven't answered the question of whether you've been to an encampment and talked with people.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

maphdet

ALL this shit is making my brain hurt even more than before.

:argh!:

Yet I still cannot get off the damn fence.

Also-unrelated but related- N17
If any of yous are reading this and will be 'occupying', take a moment or so and remember the 17th of November, the uprising at polytechnic back in 73.

We've been protesting a LONG time...I see no dent anywhere.
:kingmeh:

Not trying to be pro or con for occupy or anything. Just stating what I see/feel/experience through this clusterfuck as it unfolds.

/hijack

I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

LMNO

Quote from: Agent Buttchug on November 16, 2011, 12:25:58 AM

I'm not the one trying to predict the end of OWS. Don't try to foist your OWS eschatology onto me.

You also haven't answered the question of whether you've been to an encampment and talked with people.

I see... So you don't want to answer my question, but instead expect me to accept a change of focus in my inquiries to appeal to your own narrative.

the last yatto

Instead of hurting myself by slamming my head against my desk, I figured id invite you all to witness first hand the cluster fuck that is occupy seattle... started out well by holding down westlake, slowly its turning into a WBC knock off except instead of lawsuit money their goal: bad pr for SPD
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Cramulus

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 16, 2011, 01:08:06 PM
Quote from: Agent Buttchug on November 16, 2011, 12:25:58 AM

I see... So you don't want to answer my question, but instead expect me to accept a change of focus in my inquiries to appeal to your own narrative.

I thought that question was directed at me, and I answered it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That was an interesting (and funny) breakdown. I was especially interested in Newt Gingrich's attempt to piggyback the Tea Party into the Occupy movement.

One thing that occurred to me today is that if we the people decided to commit a little kamikaze action, we could hold the whole fucking country over a barrel by boycotting Christmas. Yes, it would fuck us ALL over, but it's one thing that might actually scare the political machine into taking action to separate corp from state. The Christmas shopping season is absolutely crucial to our economy.

We have the power to completely fuck everything.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nigel on November 16, 2011, 10:21:10 PM
That was an interesting (and funny) breakdown. I was especially interested in Newt Gingrich's attempt to piggyback the Tea Party into the Occupy movement.

One thing that occurred to me today is that if we the people decided to commit a little kamikaze action, we could hold the whole fucking country over a barrel by boycotting Christmas. Yes, it would fuck us ALL over, but it's one thing that might actually scare the political machine into taking action to separate corp from state. The Christmas shopping season is absolutely crucial to our economy.

So Occupy Walmart?

Elder Iptuous

i think if it was presented as a "boycott christmas" thing, then it would get little support from a great deal of people that would see it as a jesus-hating atheist hogwash.  If it were presented as a "homemade christmas" thing, then it might get a bit more support.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pope Pastor Wolf-Something-Or-Other on November 16, 2011, 11:41:17 PM
Quote from: Nigel on November 16, 2011, 10:21:10 PM

So Occupy Walmart?

More like, de-occupy wal-mart.

We could shut this fucker down if we had enough people on board. Complete economic hostage situation. "You fucks get corporation out of government and we'll start buying shit again".

It would be absolutely catastrophic for the economy. But it would work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Iptuous on November 17, 2011, 12:09:04 AM
i think if it was presented as a "boycott christmas" thing, then it would get little support from a great deal of people that would see it as a jesus-hating atheist hogwash.  If it were presented as a "homemade christmas" thing, then it might get a bit more support.

Homemade Christmas, or present it as "You are already squeezed enough, celebrate Christmas by spending it with family and put the squeeze on the corporations that put you in this bind by rejecting the gift-giving aspect".

People already can't afford to do a gluttony of gift-giving... frame it as a patriotic act of protest, and it might even take hold.