News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

Mah sewing.

Started by Raphaella, January 16, 2009, 09:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raphaella

So I finished the pencil skirt in green. I also made a tunic shirt in purple to go with it. I'll have to wear this outfit and take pics sometime.

The zipper came out much better this time around, I used the zipper foot cause you guys reminded me.  :wink:

It's even got the little back vent and everything. I am extremely happy with this skirt. It looks just like something I would buy at the thrift store, which is what I was going for. Vintage fabric in a classic pattern.
For my next trick I'll make a dress with a short jacket. It's another Vogue pattern and it looks as if it has some easing.  :evilmad: I'll give it a go and hopefully learn something so I can finish that other jacket I started.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Eve

All this awesome sewing is really making me want to drag my grandmother's old sewing machine out of the hall closet and start making shit. But damn, everything I want to make is way beyond my skill level, which is to say that I haven't made anything more complicated than a quilt, and that was five years ago.

Penguin, that skirt is FABULOUS. I love the fabric. :)
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Raphaella

Quote from: Eve on February 08, 2009, 11:18:52 PM
All this awesome sewing is really making me want to drag my grandmother's old sewing machine out of the hall closet and start making shit. But damn, everything I want to make is way beyond my skill level, which is to say that I haven't made anything more complicated than a quilt, and that was five years ago.

Penguin, that skirt is FABULOUS. I love the fabric. :)

Sewing just seems harder than it is. You have to just start doing it and pretty soon you'll be able to make what ever you want. I'm still learning and improving and making horrible mistakes all the fucking time as well. I have been working on some very basic things so that I can get better. That jacket I tried was above my skill level though, but I'll get it one day.  :argh!:

Mostly I want to be able to make my own patterns and stuff, but for that I need to know the how and why things are shaped the way they are and what goes where and all that. So I figure if I work with basic patterns for a while I'll eventually learn these things and go on to make my own.

Really you SHOULD go and get out that old sewing machine! Just remember to make a rough draft first! Nothing sucks more than jacking up some really nice fabric because you made a mistake cutting or something. It takes more time, but it's worth it... trust me.
The sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon into blood before the coming of the great and terrible OZ

Raphaella

Raphaella

Here is what broke mah needle. The muslin for the Vogue Dress.

It looks a little weird here because it's too small for the dummy. It's zipper is in the back so it's not zipped up at all here. It looks great on and it fits well so I'm on to making the final garment!! Well, I still have to make a muslin jacket for this dress. But THEN!

This is the fabric I will be working with. The patterned one is for the jacket and the silky one for the dress. Yeah! Thrift store fabric!!

Raphaella

So I have been feeling a bit meh lately and it took a really long time for me to finish this project, but I finally did today.  :mrgreen:

Here is the dress and the jacket!

Here is the muslin and the muslin jacket also mah boots!!!

And because I love it so, here is that green skirt with the purple top.

Seriously look at these fucking pointy toe shoes!!

I found them at the thrift store and thought they were just the right amount of ridiculous.

I bought a few more patterns today, those fuckers are like an addiction but I don't know if I'll start another project soon or not. I think the dress and jacket are perhaps too blue. Maybe I should match the white jacket with the blue dress...  :?

Eve

So much pretty! I'm both impressed and envious of your skillz.  :fap:
Emotionally crippled narcissist.

Jenne

Oooh, purple blouse plus sexy green shirt and pointyasfuck skerple shoes?  FAPALISHUS!

The blue silk stuff and the fabu muslin is also adorable!  WTG!

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Raphaella on February 25, 2009, 01:07:35 AM
So I have been feeling a bit meh lately and it took a really long time for me to finish this project, but I finally did today.  :mrgreen:

Here is the dress and the jacket!

Here is the muslin and the muslin jacket also mah boots!!!

And because I love it so, here is that green skirt with the purple top.

Seriously look at these fucking pointy toe shoes!!

I found them at the thrift store and thought they were just the right amount of ridiculous.

I bought a few more patterns today, those fuckers are like an addiction but I don't know if I'll start another project soon or not. I think the dress and jacket are perhaps too blue. Maybe I should match the white jacket with the blue dress...  :?

HAWTNESS!!!  :fap: :fap: :fap:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Raphaella