News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

The Wild, Wild West redux

Started by Doktor Howl, April 17, 2010, 01:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pope Pixie Pickle

Its a concrete suntrap where in summer you can wander around in the evening in a bikini top and jeans, hoping your trainers don't melt on the asphalt.  The air is thick with smog and the water is so bad I was told not to drink it.

The earth is baked to red dust, the roaches are as big as mice (although for Kai this would be fascinating) and the biggest charm is the geckos crawling over the windows in the unbearably hot evenings.

It was horrible and had no weather to speak of, and I wandered around in permanent sunscreen to avoid sunburn.

You need to check your shoes for scorpions in the morning and the amount of bitey little bugs was something else.

Kai

Well, that's what you get for building a city in a desert valley, in close proximity to another desert valley with the name Death.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kai on April 19, 2010, 03:00:50 PM
Well, that's what you get for building a city in a desert valley, in close proximity to another desert valley with the name Death.

Tucson is much the same, but it isn't full of horrible undead bastards.  Well, outside of Oro Valley, anyway.
Molon Lube

Pope Pixie Pickle

Yea I have stated this before and I will state it again.

There shouldn't be anything there. The entirety of Maricopa county is a shit hole.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Rainy Day Pixie on April 19, 2010, 03:04:56 PM
Yea I have stated this before and I will state it again.

There shouldn't be anything there. The entirety of Maricopa county is a shit hole.

This is a fact.  And one day, my Fremen will scour that place clean.
Molon Lube

Pope Pixie Pickle

If I do not drown the place first.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Kai on April 19, 2010, 12:46:59 PM
Phoenix doesn't look that bad from the photos. Just like any other urban/suburban hellhole in this goddamn country.

no, it's definitely that bad.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

I read that as

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 19, 2010, 03:14:34 PM

This is a fact.  And one day, my Frenulum will scour that place clean.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on April 19, 2010, 04:00:40 PM
I read that as

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 19, 2010, 03:14:34 PM

This is a fact.  And one day, my Frenulum will scour that place clean.

Oh, that will do nicely. :)
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on April 19, 2010, 12:46:59 PM
Phoenix doesn't look that bad from the photos. Just like any other urban/suburban hellhole in this goddamn country.

It's different, and there are parts of it that, for some reason, there are no pictures of on the internet.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Requia ☣

Clearly a project is needed to photograph these undocumented parts of the country and put online.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jenne

Y'all speak the tr00f.  My ex-best-friend lives there...with her now-converted-was-atheist husband.   She wonders why "God" is punishing her by not giving her any babies.  I think it's because she loves Phoenix... :x