News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

Rev Roger, Year of the Rat #12: UNNNNNNNNNNNNG!

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, August 27, 2008, 12:50:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Okay, so you're stuck on this planet with the humans, right?  No, scratch that.  You're in a giant convertible full of screaming monkeys, careening around the sun.  Despite the fact that this is the only car known to exist, many of the monkeys are busy shitting on the seats and killing each other in ways detrimental to the vehicle.  A few of the monkeys occasionally suggest different behavior, but they are either ignored or killed.

Is it any wonder that benevolent aliens never show up to visit?

Sure, we get lots of the other kind of aliens...stupid drunken frat kids buzzing the rubes, playing "hide the probe", and occasionally piling up daddy's spaceship in New Mexico...but that's all we're ever going to get, because this is the trailer park of the galaxy.

And whose fault is that?  Who refuses to see that there is light at BOTH ends of the tunnel, and you just have to walk out, instead of fighting over whose fault the darkness is?

Think about it.  When is the last time anyone BUILT something?  We used to build pyramids and cathedrals and suspension bridges...but all we build now is bombs and "detainment camps".  Har!  Another dozen useless atomic bombs?  Sure!  Low cost housing?  Hold on, now...no need to get all crazy.

We make lots of useless crap, of course...but don't expect the next Taj Mahal any time soom.  There's no ART, but there's lots of STUFF.  In fact there's SO much stuff that we're drowning in CRAP.  Even though it's still better than not enough, there's too much.  Something has to give...and, if history is any indicator, that something is you.

Or maybe not you, if you live in a wealthy nation.  Not yet.  Right now, it's probably someone who lives in a nation that has STUFF that your nation WANTS.  Yes, America has gone from a nation of progress and innovation, to the largest armed robber in the world.

Don't it make ya proud?  Doesn't it just make you want to eat stars and shit stripes?  Good old Uncle Sam has traded in his star spangled duds for fatigues and an M4, and is going to teach those dirty Ay-rabs a lesson they'll never forget, for the crime of being there.

How's that?  Are you ready for that?  Are you ready for the fact that America hasn't just gone astray this time...no, it's rotten to the very core.  Bush didn't do all this crap in a vacuum, after all.  He had huge popularity ratings for the majority of his abuses, and yawns for the rest.

But it's all for "freedom", right?  And freedom is the means by which we prosper?  WRONG.  Freedom is its own end, the HIGHEST political end, and you pissed it away.

Get the fuck off my planet.

Or kill me.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

The media just told me I'm still free.

Art doesn't BUILD the bottom line because it's, well, just so damned expensive!

Kai

It doesn't have to be.

The downfall of civilization: the stiffling of creativity and variation. Stagnation occurs, eventually things crumble in the changing environment. Art, politics, science, religion, all are stiffled. Its not about how much money you have, /until/ those with lots of money start destroying your creativity and the variation in society from the ground up. Then it always becomes more about quantity over quality till you are drowning in your own shit.

People live by comparison, and they also die by it.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

Sepia

Yes, lots of mittens for Roger. The introduction is perfect.
Everyone will always be too late

AFK

I loved it all but I really loved this line:

QuoteDon't it make ya proud?  Doesn't it just make you want to eat stars and shit stripes?  Good old Uncle Sam has traded in his star spangled duds for fatigues and an M4, and is going to teach those dirty Ay-rabs a lesson they'll never forget, for the crime of being there.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Payne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 27, 2008, 12:50:13 AM

We make lots of useless crap, of course...but don't expect the next Taj Mahal any time soom.  There's no ART, but there's lots of STUFF.  In fact there's SO much stuff that we're drowning in CRAP.  Even though it's still better than not enough, there's too much.  Something has to give...and, if history is any indicator, that something is you.

Having spent a good month in Edinburgh, surrounded by the Festival (an annual arts/comedy/book/TV etc etc etc thing, takes up the entirety of August), here are some of my thoughts. The most telling example of it was stepping out of the National Gallery of Scotland, having just seen an exhibition of Impressionist and related artists, into a street filled with drum circles, "performance art" and lots of various other bits and pieces of pretentious contentless crap.

All the Festival is now is an opportunity to make money, and lots of it. The great artistic achievements you mention were often created for some other reason, like a demonstration of power and wealth, or as insurance that the person commissioning the art would have a direct one way ticket to heaven or equivalent.

In this plastic world, a lot of the urgency and power of artistic enterprise has been sapped away, and what we are left with is occasionally eye candy, but often just an empty promise of what might have been.

And if our "glorious leaders" can't even be bothered to create (or allow to be created) these great monuments to human endeavor, it highlights what they think of the masses. How they view their power as a short term, sterile and gangsterish grab for infamy, perpetrated in our name.

They have enslaved the hairless apes by killing imagination. It brings to mind the "falling angel or rising monkey" phrase I heard here a while back. But instead of ceasing to be an Angel falling from heaven in exchange for a monkey clawing our way back, we have become monkeys falling from the top of a very high tree. And that's sadly maddening.

Just a few confused thoughts on your post.

:mittens:

wade

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on August 27, 2008, 12:50:13 AM
Okay, so you're stuck on this planet with the humans, right?  No, scratch that.  You're in a giant convertible full of screaming monkeys, careening around the sun.  Despite the fact that this is the only car known to exist, many of the monkeys are busy shitting on the seats and killing each other in ways detrimental to the vehicle.  A few of the monkeys occasionally suggest different behavior, but they are either ignored or killed.

I'm going to have to paint this.  thanks.

REALLY real discordians

i wouldnt hurt a fly
:thumb: :kojak:

Jenne

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 27, 2008, 02:09:21 PM

QuoteDon’t it make ya proud?  Doesn’t it just make you want to eat stars and shit stripes?  Good old Uncle Sam has traded in his star spangled duds for fatigues and an M4, and is going to teach those dirty Ay-rabs a lesson they’ll never forget, for the crime of being there.

That was my fave line too!  I'm sooo yoinking that!

Ari

パンクビッチ

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Dysfunctional Cunt

While I love the eat starts and shit stripes line.....

My favorite from this has always been the trailer park of the galaxy line...

Should be someone's by-line, coming to you live from Earth, the trailer park of the galaxy.....

I love this, I have it on my wall here at work....

AFK

Quote from: RWHN on August 27, 2008, 02:09:21 PM

QuoteDon't it make ya proud?  Doesn't it just make you want to eat stars and shit stripes?  Good old Uncle Sam has traded in his star spangled duds for fatigues and an M4, and is going to teach those dirty Ay-rabs a lesson they'll never forget, for the crime of being there.

I still love that line.  I think I used it over at PCF as a sig line for a time after this.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Even more relevant today.

The Year of the Rat must be a lonnnnng year. Like Jupiter years.

If the monkeys don't pile us into an oak tree before its over.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division