News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

ANTI-GRAPHITI CREWS BECOME VANDALS

Started by Lies, April 27, 2010, 07:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on April 27, 2010, 10:10:52 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on April 27, 2010, 08:26:17 PM
Interesting ideas being bunted. 

So, what does make art?

A few years back (around 2000) some artists in Toronto captured a stray cat and skinned it alive, while videotaping it.  They said later that it was art.  Some said no, some said yes, for various reasons.  I'm divided on the matter... is something NOT art simply because I find it disgusting and horrendous, morally reprehensible, vile, cruel... etc.  I could go on.  Or, is THAT the art?  I mean, I eat meat... those animals are probably not treated very well... so where does my moral superiority stem from?  Is the killing of the cat art?  Or is the video taping art?  Or is my reaction art?

Or is this discussion art?

Videotaping the skinning of a cat is certainly art.  Carving an image into the skin of a child would be as well.  They're still morally reprehensible works that ought to be punished.  Being art doesn't make it ok.

That's where I'm standing now too.  I used to say it wasn't art, but I tend to feel it is now.  Just art I fucking loathe... like the fucking Group of 7.  I hate them niggaz more than the nazis.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on April 27, 2010, 10:12:55 PM

So, what does make art?

A few years back (around 2000) some artists in Toronto captured a stray cat and skinned it alive, while videotaping it.  They said later that it was art.  Some said no, some said yes, for various reasons.  I'm divided on the matter... is something NOT art simply because I find it disgusting and horrendous, morally reprehensible, vile, cruel... etc.  I could go on.  Or, is THAT the art?  I mean, I eat meat... those animals are probably not treated very well... so where does my moral superiority stem from?  Is the killing of the cat art?  Or is the video taping art?  Or is my reaction art?

Videotaping the skinning of a cat is certainly art.  Carving an image into the skin of a child would be as well.  They're still morally reprehensible works that ought to be punished.  Being art doesn't make it ok.

That's where I'm standing now too.  I used to say it wasn't art, but I tend to feel it is now.  Just art I fucking loathe... like the fucking Group of 7.  I hate them niggaz more than the nazis.

I don't call that shit art.  I call it sadism with an excuse.
Molon Lube

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 27, 2010, 10:05:03 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on April 27, 2010, 10:03:48 PM
It is a cute name.

CUTE?  CUTE?  EET EES ZEE GENIUS, YOU ARE CRETIN!

HE IS HAVING MORE BRAVERIES AND INTELLEEGENCE THAN YOU, ZEE KAI, AND ZEE RUMKLE EEN HEES LEETLE FINGARE!

ZEE BANKSY IS SO EAZEE TO EEMITATE WITH ZEE STENCEEELS AND ZEE PAINTZ AND ZEE SILLY PRANKZ!

EEEVEN MY WEE CHILD CAN DO ZIS AND MAKE ZEE ZOUZANDZ OF DOLLERZ!

WEE JUST PREFUR TO LEEVE IN SMALL APARTMENT AND EAT RICE AND BEENZ.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 27, 2010, 10:18:52 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on April 27, 2010, 10:12:55 PM

So, what does make art?

I don't call that shit art.  I call it sadism with an excuse.

I would file it under both.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on April 27, 2010, 10:19:36 PM
It is a cute name.

HE IS HAVING MORE BRAVERIES AND INTELLEEGENCE THAN YOU, ZEE KAI, AND ZEE RUMKLE EEN HEES LEETLE FINGARE!

ZEE BANKSY IS SO EAZEE TO EEMITATE WITH ZEE STENCEEELS AND ZEE PAINTZ AND ZEE SILLY PRANKZ!

yeah, you missed the point completely.  Banksy isn't easy to imitate well, he is easy to copy.  Any stencil artist is.  You make a stencil, and you spray paint through it, It'll look just like Banksy's stuff, because he did the exact same thing.  Designing the stencil was a work of genius, sure, but a genius stencil is just as easy to copy as a stupid one.  And since Banksy is anonymous there's no way to tell a copy from an original.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Doktor Howl

It is a cute name.

Sorry, Net.  You went after Kai and Rumkle for no fucking reason other than sheer pretentiousness.

If you want to sound like some pseudo-intellectual retard, I'll be more than happy to treat you as one.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Copying isn't art, it's craft. A really good craftsman can make a really convincing copy. Stencils are easy to copy because someone already made one, and all you have to do is make a copy of it.

What's the fucking controversy here?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 27, 2010, 10:26:19 PM
Copying isn't art, it's craft. A really good craftsman can make a really convincing copy. Stencils are easy to copy because someone already made one, and all you have to do is make a copy of it.

I'm not sure.  Something about Kai being substandard because he isn't ZEE GENIUS like BANKSY.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 27, 2010, 10:27:45 PM

I'm not sure.  Something about Kai being substandard because he isn't ZEE GENIUS like BANKSY.

I bet Banksy can neither play classical guitar, nor knows jack shit about caddisflies.

TAKE THAT, ART FAGS.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on April 27, 2010, 10:23:31 PM
It is a cute name.

yeah, you missed the point completely.  Banksy isn't easy to imitate well, he is easy to copy.  Any stencil artist is.  You make a stencil, and you spray paint through it, It'll look just like Banksy's stuff, because he did the exact same thing.  Designing the stencil was a work of genius, sure, but a genius stencil is just as easy to copy as a stupid one.  And since Banksy is anonymous there's no way to tell a copy from an original.

I did initially misinterpret Rumckle's post. Then I admitted my mistake. Shit happens.

Does it really matter whether a Banksy stencil is an original or an identical copy though?

I get the sense you didn't read the whole thread in favor of badgering me. No sweat off my nuts.

:apple:
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

hooplala

Do you consider Warhol Campbell's Soup cans art or craft?  

(Not picking a fight, trying to keep this thread on art)

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on April 27, 2010, 10:35:56 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on April 27, 2010, 10:23:31 PM
It is a cute name.

yeah, you missed the point completely.  Banksy isn't easy to imitate well, he is easy to copy.  Any stencil artist is.  You make a stencil, and you spray paint through it, It'll look just like Banksy's stuff, because he did the exact same thing.  Designing the stencil was a work of genius, sure, but a genius stencil is just as easy to copy as a stupid one.  And since Banksy is anonymous there's no way to tell a copy from an original.

I did initially misinterpret Rumckle's post. Then I admitted my mistake. Shit happens.

Does it really matter whether a Banksy stencil is an original or an identical copy though?

I get the sense you didn't read the whole thread in favor of badgering me. No sweat off my nuts.

:apple:

Naw, I read the whole thing.  It's just that you took a swipe at Rumkle and Kai for no reason, and they're worth more than you are.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on April 27, 2010, 10:36:08 PM

Initially art, I suppose.  In a weak-sister kind of way.  Then craft, obviously, once it went to the printer.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on April 27, 2010, 10:36:08 PM

A painting that copies a real object is usually considered art, just as a photograph of a real object would be. A painted copy of that painting would usually be considered craft or practice, as would a deliberate imitation photograph.

A coincidental nearly-identical painting of the same real object would not be a copy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The original conception and execution of a creative idea is usually considered "art", and repetitions of it are usually considered "craft". So if Warhol's initial conception included, say, 1000 iterations of his soup can, each iteration would be part of the original work.