News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Nottinghamshire Police write poem about rape.

Started by Pæs, December 16, 2013, 10:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

Forgot to share this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-25362938

They've denied that the poem is offensive and insist that it will raise awareness in rapists about the impact of their crime.

The poem is being placed as posters at train stations.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Faust

If by increase awareness they mean induce hysteria and push others over the edge in the depression season then they have done their job.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I can't stop laughing.

It isn't "offensive", I don't think; what it is, is unbelievably tacky. And bad. It's just bad.

The messages are all good: hey lady, the police are here for you and are on your side! Rapists, you have no right to do that! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

It's kind of just the combination of the three that makes me go  :aaa:  :?  :horrormirth:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies on December 16, 2013, 10:56:42 PM
I can't stop laughing.

It isn't "offensive", I don't think; what it is, is unbelievably tacky. And bad. It's just bad.

The messages are all good: hey lady, the police are here for you and are on your side! Rapists, you have no right to do that! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

It's kind of just the combination of the three that makes me go  :aaa:  :?  :horrormirth:

I admire it on a level of "really fucking awful verse".

I don't see that it's offensive.  Who's the bad guy?  Not her.  Who's to blame?  Not her.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

"Insensitive" is probably a better term than "offensive."

Pæs

There are people offended, so I think it's probably offensive, in the same way that when people are impressed a thing is impressive. I really like the stubborn "I'm not being offensive, you're just being offended" in the face of upset readers.

It sounds like part of what affected some survivors is the tone of the thing. It's like having Oompa Loompas describe a sexual assault.

The LOLDAILYMAIL has got more of the response: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2523174/Rape-victims-attack-Nottinghamshire-Polices-sex-attack-Christmas-poem.html

Quote'I have spoken to some of our clients who have been victims of sexual assault and they have been utterly distressed and shocked by this poem.
'They feel that the re-working of a poem aimed at children trivialises the worst event in their lives ... Children familiar with the proper Christmas poem would be left very confused if they came across this police version.'She added that the force should concentrate on a 'stark, unambiguous message that rape is wrong'.

QuoteA spokesman for the group Sexual Abuse Survivors said the phrase 'happened in a flash' was not an accurate portrayal of a victim's experience. She added: 'That experience can feel like it goes on forever and even after the attack it will stay with that person for a very long time almost like a recording in their mind that goes over and over again.'

Pæs

Quote from: Pæs on December 16, 2013, 11:12:12 PMIt's like having Oompa Loompas describe a sexual assault.

As soon as I typed it... that fucking mental image.

Suu

Quote from: Pæs on December 16, 2013, 11:14:14 PM
Quote from: Pæs on December 16, 2013, 11:12:12 PMIt's like having Oompa Loompas describe a sexual assault.

As soon as I typed it... that fucking mental image.

Thread over.

:potd:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Ben Shapiro

Insensitive in terms of it implies X-mas is the raping season so be really real be careful. Offensive I don't see it because of the last verses.

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Pæs

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 17, 2013, 01:12:50 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 16, 2013, 11:07:30 PM
Yeah?  How?
IMO, because the rape survivors who are responding don't seem to feel that "Oompa, Loompa, floompity fail, if you're a rapist, you'll go to jail." conveys suitable gravitas for the experience it describes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pæs on December 17, 2013, 01:16:38 AM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 17, 2013, 01:12:50 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on December 16, 2013, 11:07:30 PM
Yeah?  How?
IMO, because the rape survivors who are responding don't seem to feel that "Oompa, Loompa, floompity fail, if you're a rapist, you'll go to jail." conveys suitable gravitas for the experience it describes.

Have you ever seen the looks on the faces of police when they arrest someone that really needs to be arrested?  I've enjoyed the experience.  There is a horrible & vast mirth involved.  Ho ho ho.

That poem wasn't written by the police to the victims of rape.  It was written to the rapist.  It is a promise of the transformation of their lives into one never-ending series of tragic misunderstandings.

If, back in the day, I grinned horribly at a wife beater while stuffing him in the back of the cruiser, would you assume that I was laughing at the victim?  Or just enjoying the notion of the next few hours, and the terrible mess that Cletus's life had just become?

Q. G. Pennyworth

It's insensitive in that it is not being sensitive to the feelings of rape survivors or their friends and allies who may be reading it. You can't compare it to the Cletus example because the cop is grinning AT CLETUS. This is a poster at a bus stop facing everyone, and statistically speaking it's pretty unlikely everyone there is a rapist.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I think warping a Christmas poem into an admonition against rape is a little distasteful but I'm entirely willing to admit that has more to do with my own issues than anything else. Christmas is typically seen as something clean or holy . . . when you're ignoring the blatant commercialization and shit. Rape is ugly and dirty. The dueling imagery does well to make one stop and go WTF. Which lends the message a bit of sticking power.

I wonder if they're going to print out the lyrics to Sublime's "Date Rape" and put them up all over, next. That would give me a chuckle.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.