News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

what does....

Started by Mangrove, February 13, 2007, 08:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on February 14, 2007, 04:12:50 PMTriple Zero, Talmud/Torah = Jewish, not Islam.

oops, my mistake.

well jewishm makes a lot more sense than islam, so that's good.

except for the penis-cutting

but even that is debatable.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

LHX

Quote from: triple zero on February 14, 2007, 04:20:45 PM
Quote from: LMNO on February 14, 2007, 04:12:50 PMTriple Zero, Talmud/Torah = Jewish, not Islam.

well jewishm makes a lot more sense than islam, so that's good.

??
neat hell

Cain

I wondered about that too.  I often find Islam makes more logical sense, because it had only one Prophet, and the Muslims were led to victory.

In contrast, the OT has several inconsistent prophets, a god who hates his own chosen people and every time they do something right, doesn't reward them, he just doesn't do bad things.

LMNO

000, I don't really know where you're going with this...

How much of the Torah or Koran have you actually read?

Mangrove

that both islam and judaism practise circumcision?
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Triple Zero

never mind, sorry i obviously know nothing about these matters.

i admit i'm really a big n00b when it comes to history. never paid attention to it in school (cause i found it boring as fuck) and i never read any holy books. at least, not major parts of it.

what i meant with that, is that i haven't seen jews doing very strange things "out of religion" (i'm quite sure you an immediately prove me wrong about this, with a counterexample)
while i do see muslims every day doing weird things because of their religion.

on the other hand this probably has more to do with the cultural background of the average jew, average christian, average atheist and average muslim i happen to know, than with what the respective religions have written in themselves.

also i admit that i didn't think very long before i posted those things (hope i didn't offend anybody with it)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mangrove

i don't think there was any offence - just a "where is dude going with this?" feeling and a need of clarification.  :D

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

tyrannosaurus vex

obviously, the BIP is the "mysticism" of discordianism.

say what you want about the greeks, but this "religion" is only 50 years old.  i think the BIP is (or will be) to Discordianism what the early Q'bala (read: not "Kabballah," or anything that Hollywood knows about) was to Judaism.

except without all the grey shit.

executive signing statement: semantical arguments countering this post with bollocks about discordianism/BIP not really being 'religions' per se, shall have no effect on the overall validity of this truth.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

LMNO

Oh, shit.  We have signing statements, now?

tyrannosaurus vex

why not?

in 3 months of brain stagnation it's the best i can come up with.

vexati0n,
going to be a dad again soon.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

LHX

OFUK

is vex jumping back into the mix?

congratulations on the baby news
neat hell

DJRubberducky

To whomever asked (I am really lazy today): No, to my knowledge, there is nothing official in the Talmud that gets rid of the ban on pig meat.

See, from *our* point of view, it made sense to ban pork back then 'cause of the risk of disease.  But there are plenty of other animals that were declared treif with the rule of "split hoof/chew cud" that we don't wonder about.  Also, there's just plain more to the kashrut (dietary laws) than that.  Eating is one of the most basic, fundamental things a human being (or any other creature) does.  By imposing the dietary laws, Judaism makes sure that even the simple act of eating is a reaffirmation of one's faith.

I can totally see the scholars saying "Okay, sure there's no health risk from contaminated pork anymore, at least not in the first-world countries, but can we really be sure that G-d forbade us from eating it because of the health risk?  I mean, He left us plenty of other sources of animal protein; it's not like we're at risk for malnutrition if we don't lift this ban.  Let's leave this one stand as written."
- DJRubberducky
Quote from: LMNODJ's post is sort of like those pills you drop into a glass of water, and they expand into a dinosaur, or something.

Black sheep are still sheep.

Starship, take me

Interesting Kosher fact of the day:
Grasshoppers and a certain species of locust in Yemen are the only species of insect that are not treif.
Extraction of Agent Starship in progress...

Have the Orbital Platforms on Standby, please

B_M_W

Quote from: Starship, take me on February 14, 2007, 10:52:18 PM
Interesting Kosher fact of the day:
Grasshoppers and a certain species of locust in Yemen are the only species of insect that are not treif.

The Jews are missing out.
One by one, we break the sheep from their Iron Bar Prisons and expand their imaginations, make them think for themselves. In turn, they break more from their prisons. Eventually, critical mass is reached. Our key word: Resolve. Evangelize with compassion and determination. And realize that there will be few in the beginning. We are hand picking our successors. They are the future of Discordianism. Let us guide our future with intelligence.

--Reverse Brainwashing: A Guide http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=9801.0

6.5 billion Buddhas walking around.

99.xxxxxxx% forgot they are Buddha.