News:

PD.com: Ten minutes of your life that you can never get back.

Main Menu

Chasing Eris

Started by Placid Dingo, June 29, 2012, 11:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 17, 2012, 05:04:15 PM
I would personally be willing to come back to the project if Uncle BadTouch were booted. Frankly, I can't even figure out what he's contributed - sure, he's a big name in Discordia, but he doesn't seem to have gotten there in his own merit. I'm guessing you feel you have to include him? What do you gain from legitimizing his creeper ass and associating him with the rest of us with him. I don't want to risk it. Nigel can't afford it. Pixie can't afford it. Who else can't afford it? If you're going to go back to teaching, can you afford it?
Aside from losing you way more people to interview, like LMNO said, I'd like to be able to plug this to other people and I will refuse to if LS is included. Including him loses you people who would help get you a broader audience.

I don't think I would, personally, because I don't trust Dingo anymore. It bums me out because it sounded like a good project, but after the way he handled it and treated me I am really leery.

And, frankly, I don't think it's worth my time to participate in a project that claims to represent Discordia but is perfectly fine with leaving Roger out. In my mind that's sort of like a project on Discordia that disregards Kerry Thornley. Because, love him or hate him, the reality is that unlike Uncle BadTouch, Roger is one of the most prolific writers and contributers in Discordian history. Anyone claiming to write about Discordia who willingly leaves him out is, in my opinion, hopelessly dishonest, because he's worth at least 500 Loveshades.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

I agree with all of that. But I think the basic idea of the project is cool enough that it's worth doing a little politicking in order to interject some reason into the dialogue.

Alternately....it might be worth doing our own version if Dingo insists on including Uncle BadTouch at the expense of dozens of other potential contributors.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 17, 2012, 07:54:06 PM
I agree with all of that. But I think the basic idea of the project is cool enough that it's worth doing a little politicking in order to interject some reason into the dialogue.

Alternately....it might be worth doing our own version if Dingo insists on including Uncle BadTouch at the expense of dozens of other potential contributors.

Yes, it would. Plus, a good way to make a public distinction between the Uncle BadTouch cult and Discordianism.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: CAKE on November 17, 2012, 08:21:16 PM

Yes, it would. Plus, a good way to make a public distinction between the Uncle BadTouch cult and Discordianism.

This. And what Nigel said about Roger.

Who the fuck actually reads Uncle BadTouch, anyway?
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

East Coast Hustle

I think it's mostly the kind of people who have mistaken discordianism as a synonym for being a hippie. Also, pedos.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on November 17, 2012, 08:30:52 PM
Quote from: CAKE on November 17, 2012, 08:21:16 PM

This. And what Nigel said about Roger.

Who the fuck actually reads Uncle BadTouch, anyway?

NOBODY. He's never actually written anything that I'm aware of. Although he was trying, years ago, to get listed in Wikipedia as an "important Discordian Author" for that book that Miley Spears came here to pimp, which she claimed just came out last month... so either she's lying, or he is, and it really doesn't matter which.

East Coast Hustle

I thought he wrote the Eksentrikuh Discordia, though it wouldn't surprise me at all if he didn't and just tried to get everyone to think he did.

I haven't read it myself, for the obvious reason that Uncle BadTouch wrote it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on November 17, 2012, 08:53:47 PM
I thought he wrote the Eksentrikuh Discordia, though it wouldn't surprise me at all if he didn't and just tried to get everyone to think he did.

I haven't read it myself, for the obvious reason that Uncle BadTouch wrote it.

That's the book I'm talking about. Except apparently it's a collection of stories written by the underage girls in his harem kid's club. And according to Miley Spears, it ONLY JUST NOW CAME OUT, although Shady's been pimping it as an "important published Discordian work" for years.

One way or the other, somebody's lying.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

http://shii.org/knows/Discordianism

QuoteI had an argument with the "Rev." Uncle BadTouch in 2006 over whether his books should be included in Wikipedia as Discordian canon. In the course of that argument several other Erisians popped up to cast shame on me for mocking their perversion of Discordianism. In the end I had to get some outside Wikipedians to come in and outnumber them before Uncle BadTouch's stuff could be removed from the article. One of the arguments he used was that he was the predominant Discordian of the day and he had written the introduction to the current edition of the P.D. as well as authored various other shitty vanity press books which somehow constituted modern Discordian thought, so I became disgusted with their ilk in general.

You can look at the Wikipedia page history and see that one of the books he had listed was the E. D. Which Miley just pimped as NEVER BEFORE AVAILABLE.

Bu🤠ns

I've been casually following this project and while I'm not directly involved I would like to add something.  It seems to me that the issue here is that Dingo wants this project to maintain a certain level of integrity.  I can understand that.  I can understand the desire to show Discordia in its raw form. 

The issue I see is that this project is not really DINGO's project...not anymore.   This isn't a bad thing.  Actually, it's sort of the way projects tend to come about. Dingo initiated the project but now that it has (had?) a life of it's own it's taken its own level of autonomy.

Dingo's work, as an initiator, would be to know when to step into the process and when to get out of it's way.  In this case, it seems to be the later. 

I think that this is the current struggle with Dingo and it's a learning experience.  I don't think this is really about trust but so much as watching the manifestation of an internal conflict.

The project will be what it will be...and how it comes out is how it comes out.  Dingo, i think, at this point, your role is more like someone guiding a ship on a current than someone driving a car...if that makes any sense.   

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

It occurs to me that it's a little odd that Shii does not appear to be on the list of important Discordians that Dingo tried to contact for an interview. Seems like a primary person who helped to define Discordianism for the masses might be a contender in terms of "influence" before a guy who has essentially made a name for himself by being odiously self-promoting. Speaking of which, I certainly hope Ben Mack is on his list, as he is undoubtedly more influential in Discordia than Shady is.  :lol:

East Coast Hustle

I just came here to post the link to that Shii Knows page and am thrilled to see that someone beat me to it. :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I also want to say that I think it's possible that Shady could have been included in the project in some form, as well as many or all of the people who have dropped out to avoid association with him, IF Dingo had shown the maturity and forethought to open a dialogue about it to get a sense of how the community feels about including him as a representative of modern Discordia. But the way it played out seems premeditatedly heavy-handed, and I feel manipulated. Especially by the whole claim that by dropping out I'm trying to "dictate" to him how he runs his project.

In addition, I have heard that he said that Roger and I "conspired" to ruin his project, which is straight-up bullshit. As is evident in this very thread by the post Roger bumped, he dropped out months ago because Shady was being included, and I missed that fine point entirely until it came up recently, independently, in the Miley thread. At which point I went to Dingo's FB page and ASKED whether that was true, which is where this whole kerfuffle started. So I am feeling slighted by Dingo on a number of levels, and I feel that his apology was disingenuous, which adds another reason that I have no desire to collaborate with him in any way on anything.

If someone else wants to do an interview book on modern Discordian writers and thinkers, I'd be happy to participate, although I am going to say that I think it's unnecessary, as history will do a perfectly good job of determining that for itself and I think my efforts are better spent on other ongoing projects, such as BIP 2012 or one that I've been contemplating moving forward on.

East Coast Hustle

I just dropped that Shii link at the Chasing Eris page on FB and Swabey countered by informing me that Shii apparently credited Uncle BadTouch with writing the Apocrypha? If so, that's pretty fucking retarded.

AFK

I don't have the time to be involved with this at all but Uncle BadTouch being involved definitely gives me more reason to not be involved.  He's an arrogant, self-important prick, and that's before you even bring his ideas around sexuality and kids into the mix. 

The concept seems cool.
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.