News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

what the fuck is up with the taboo on 'swear words'

Started by Slarti, March 19, 2004, 01:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irreverend Hugh, KSC

"Time for the tin-foil hats, girls and boys!"

Xoder

Quote from: Moon¬?I can understand the personal distaste for racial slurs, thats really just something that varies between social groups. Its pretty much a sure bet that whenever I hear them, or use them, its entirely for comedic value amongst people who get the joke. I'm not a big fan of getting shot, and I'm usually not a big fan of pissing people off over something which I deem as being incredibly petty. (A lot of humor is blatantly offensive. )

Then again, I also know tons of people who use the word "faggot" without discretion, but get pissed off at racial slurs as a general principle... so really that argument is more directed towards that mindset.

Of course, the really bothersome thing about "faggot" is the definition of it: a bunch of small sticks one uses to start a fire. This is why a good friend of mine won't touch the damn thing.
There would have been a sig here. If you loved your goddess enough!

Set your registers, initialize your program counter, and EXECUTE!

chaosgraves:agentoferis

I Try not to use swear words.

those that use them to excess sound ignorant to me.

almost as if they don't have a better word for the concept they are trying to get across.

not that i care.

It's just someone trying to express themselves...
Constitution?!?!? Isn't that a D&D stat.

Efrim

Swear words should be recognized as part of the multitude of options the english language provides us with. Just like aything else, their excessive or inadequate use is just silly. Every word has a time and a place and a good speaker and/or writer knows when to use them depending on the situation and the desired effect. How often a writer/speaker feels this opprotune moment, is a matter of personal style that you may either like or dislike. After all, there is a diffrence between a talentless hack who does something for effect and a very good writer/speaker whose views and behavior are repulsive.
"There comes a time when every man feels the urge to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken

L,
Efrim

Quote from: EfrimSwear words should be recognized as part of the multitude of options the english language provides us with. Just like aything else, their excessive or inadequate use is just silly. Every word has a time and a place and a good speaker and/or writer knows when to use them depending on the situation and the desired effect. How often a writer/speaker feels this opprotune moment, is a matter of personal style that you may either like or dislike. After all, there is a diffrence between a talentless hack who does something for effect and a very good writer/speaker whose views and behavior are repulsive.
Fuckin' ay

Slarti

okay, i got a bit this from RAW.

i want to revise what i said. my main problem is the way you can say "he slept with a prostitute" on tv but you can't say "he fucked a whore". what's the difference? in my eyes, the meaning is EXACTLY the same. it's things like that. for example, my teachers don't care if you say 'that stinks" but if you say 'that sucks' then you may get 'written up'. what's up with that? same meaning!!!

gnimbley

Words have power and some words have more power than others. They just want to keep you under control, so they don't want you using words with too much emotional power. It tends to get messy when you are in control of yourself.

On the other hand, maybe their moms used too much soap to wash out their mouths.

I'm not sure about all this. Rules is rules. There aren't any in the forest.

Trollax

Quote from: gnimbleyWords have power and some words have more power than others. They just want to keep you under control, so they don't want you using words with too much emotional power. It tends to get messy when you are in control of yourself.

On the other hand, maybe their moms used too much soap to wash out their mouths.

I'm not sure about all this. Rules is rules. There aren't any in the forest.

Fuckin' oath those bastards want us to bite our bloody tongues of just so we won't come out with all the shit that's really on our fuckin' minds.

Personally I have no problem with foul language, and I usually find myself having to curb my tongue around other people, including my family. I can understand the taboo and young kids, especially when so many people are terminally afraid of certain words, and so long as you're not using them any more than you would any other word I don't see the damn problem.

Up with blasphemy!!!

Guido Finucci

Quote from: Slartibartfasti want to revise what i said. my main problem is the way you can say "he slept with a prostitute" on tv but you can't say "he fucked a whore". what's the difference? in my eyes, the meaning is EXACTLY the same.

In your eyes it may be the same but that's only half the story.

Language is a form (the form?) of communication and isn't just about what you throw out there; it is equally about how the message ia able to be received. If you want to communicate with someone, you need to construct your message such that it passes through your filters and their filters and still turns out the way you intended.

"Yo motherfucker! Vend the fucking salt Bitch!" and "please pass the salt" may mean the same thing on the way out but are likely to get quite different reactions (although which one actually gets you the salt will depend on your audience).

~~~~Closed~~~~

Quote from: Trollax
Like rationality to UFO freaks.

I resent that remark...

Quote from: Guido Finucci
Quote from: Slartibartfasti want to revise what i said. my main problem is the way you can say "he slept with a prostitute" on tv but you can't say "he fucked a whore". what's the difference? in my eyes, the meaning is EXACTLY the same.

In your eyes it may be the same but that's only half the story.

Language is a form (the form?) of communication and isn't just about what you throw out there; it is equally about how the message ia able to be received. If you want to communicate with someone, you need to construct your message such that it passes through your filters and their filters and still turns out the way you intended.

"Yo motherfucker! Vend the fucking salt Bitch!" and "please pass the salt" may mean the same thing on the way out but are likely to get quite different reactions (although which one actually gets you the salt will depend on your audience).
two filters people... two yours and theirs... I like this explination.

gnimbley

Quote from: chaosgraves:agentoferistwo filters people... two yours and theirs... I like this explination.

Ah, but do you really exist, or are you just my filter's interpretation of some random chemical luminescence?

Quote from: gnimbley
Quote from: chaosgraves:agentoferistwo filters people... two yours and theirs... I like this explination.

Ah, but do you really exist, or are you just my filter's interpretation of some random chemical luminescence?
Is this your excuse to break peoples ribs and leave them laying in a gutter slowly dying?

gnimbley

Quote from: chaosgraves:agentoferis

Is this your excuse to break peoples ribs and leave them laying in a gutter slowly dying?

What does your filter think I am, a troll? gnomes don't do that. We tie their shoelaces together, hit them with a mud pie and run!

Quote from: chaosgraves:agentoferis

What does your filter think I am, a troll? gnomes don't do that. We tie their shoelaces together, hit them with a mud pie and run!
so what you are saying is that you believe that i have a filter and am not just a figmit of your Imagination( otherwise it would be your filter and not mine)