News:

PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

Good news for solar road future

Started by MMIX, May 13, 2015, 11:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMIX

I'm sure someone mentioned this project a while back but I can't find it now. Anyhoo if this report is to be believed then it looks like solar road surfaces may be a winner longterm. And, unintended consequences notwithstanding, that could be a good thing.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/05/11/3657220/solaroad-producing-energy/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=tptop3
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Reginald Ret

Nifty, I was hoping this would take off.

Can anyone remember what the problems were with this idea?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

MMIX

Currently it is only suitable for light traffic areas, ie push bikes not pantechnicons and the whole deal of replacing an entire class of infrastructure and the costs/problems that generates. And I'm sure there's more, you know what they say

"A good solution is just a whole slew of problems waiting to be articulated"
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Reginald Ret

We could just never try anything new because it might be difficult, but lets try this anyway. It could be fun.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Junkenstein

I seem to remember me and P3nt talking about this somewhere on the science board. Again, if memory serves that was a US product that should have been capable of dealing with cars and heavy traffic. This version seems to be a solid success so I'd expect to see way more of them at least in Europe in the next 5/10 years.

It's amusing to note that "costs" would be the problem in america. Not corporate corruption, greed or deeply embedded interests, no, it's just a cost issue.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Reginald Ret

I hope to see more of these too.

they said it has seen 150.000 bikes in half a year, that would mean about 833 bikes a day.
Sounds like a good test.