News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

Time To Spit It Out.

Started by Salty, June 23, 2011, 06:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

The best part of A New Hope is how Obi-wan describes the Imperial Stormtroopers as the finest marksmen in the Galaxy.

Suu

I still cry a bit during the final confrontation. I can't help it, the minute Luke stands up and goes, "DARTH!" That's it. Ang gets all teary-eyed, like she has no idea wtf is about to happen even though I've seen every movie backwards, forwards, and in Japanese thousands of times. Or, the first time you hear Pops go "Lock S-Foils in attack position." when they approach the Death Star at Yavin 4. Or the way the Rebels stand and wait for the walkers on Hoth. You know they're coming, but you can't see them yet, but you can hear them. That part is fucking brilliant.

The prequels have their gold too, but not in the same way. The Phantom Menace had the magic of being the first Star Wars movie in a generation, and I don't care what anyone says about that movie, but when Darth Maul activates that double lightsaber, my 16 year old soul shits fucking bricks. Every time. When I watch Attack of the Clones, I still see my 19 year old self sitting on the curb, head in hands outside of the theatre, wondering WTF I just saw and why it was so bad, but then remember seeing an all-digital movie for the first time, and the power that special effects like that had in scenes like Kamino, or the seismic charges when Obi Wan was in pursuit of the Fetts toward Geonosis, and with Revenge of the Sith, the way the chill went down your back when you heard James Earl Jones as Vader in the last minutes of the film.  

I haven't watched a whole lot of the Clone Wars, mostly because I don't have cable. At first, I was skeptical, figuring it was juvenile and just reaching out merchandise to the kids, but after watching a few selected episodes with Dartmouth Fett, I was like, "Wait...that was way more violent than a kid's show should be." And he went, "That's because it's not for kids."  We were watching clones getting blown to bits and decapitated. It was gruesome. It was total war! Yeah, there's some annoying fluff episodes in there, but between the 1st and 2nd seasons, shit got darker, this newest season is REALLY dark. It's only a matter of time now. We all know Ahsoka's going bye bye, but no one knows why or how just yet.

It's there, the magic is still there, you just have to find it, and I can guarantee it's not in the action figure section at Wal-Mart. (This coming from a girl who collects only Droidekas and B-Wings.)
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: Cain on June 23, 2011, 09:52:40 PM
The best part of A New Hope is how Obi-wan describes the Imperial Stormtroopers as the finest marksmen in the Galaxy.

It's the E-11s. Everyone knows that.  :roll:

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Telarus

Suu, I've got to back you up on the Clone wars show. It's much darker than I expected, and some of the things they're doing with environments and combat choreography CD gives me that old-school Star-Wars "WTF is THIS! It's AWESOME!" chills.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

LMNO

Quote from: Your Evil Stepmother on June 23, 2011, 10:05:20 PM
I still cry a bit during the final confrontation. I can't help it, the minute Luke stands up and goes, "DARTH!" That's it. Ang gets all teary-eyed, like she has no idea wtf is about to happen even though I've seen every movie backwards, forwards, and in Japanese thousands of times.

Considering the word "Darth" is an honorific title and not his actual name, doesn't that strike you as odd?

AFK

I find your lack of faith disturbing!

YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Suu

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on June 24, 2011, 01:02:25 PM
Quote from: Your Evil Stepmother on June 23, 2011, 10:05:20 PM
I still cry a bit during the final confrontation. I can't help it, the minute Luke stands up and goes, "DARTH!" That's it. Ang gets all teary-eyed, like she has no idea wtf is about to happen even though I've seen every movie backwards, forwards, and in Japanese thousands of times.

Considering the word "Darth" is an honorific title and not his actual name, doesn't that strike you as odd?

No.

We yell, 'MY LORD!' when we try to get their attention when fighting, and well, yelling 'DARTH!' sounds better than yelling 'VADER!' in movie sense.

Cainad (dec.)

I saw the originals on VHS before any of the edits came in and pooped on everything, afaik. I didn't even know they had made edited versions until recently, and looking at clips of where they inserted CGI made me sad.

I always was more of an Indiana Jones kid, even if I only ever saw the first and third ones (discounting the weird... thing they called a fourth movie).

AFK

What I did like about the Special Editions is that they re-released them in theaters so I got to see all of the originals in a theater.  I was a bit young, and lived in a shitty, small town so I didn't get to see the original releases in movie theaters. 

Suu

My parents' first date was to go see Empire Strikes Back.

Remarkably, it was also a notable first date for Homer and Marge Simpson.

East Coast Hustle

I saw Return of the Jedi in the theater when it first came out.

Even at the tender age of 6 I knew it was crap. Fucking ewoks? Really? Choke on 6 miles of dick, George Lucas.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on June 24, 2011, 04:04:21 PM

Even at the tender age of 6 I knew it was crap. Fucking ewoks? Really? Choke on 6 miles of dick, George Lucas.

Dunno if this is true, but the original plot called for a planet of wookies, but it got spielberged.
Molon Lube

LMNO

In my mind, there is a Wookie Cavalry.

My mind is currently a much better place than reality.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 24, 2011, 04:07:15 PM

Dunno if this is true, but the original plot called for a planet of wookies, but it got spielberged.

That's the rumor I heard too.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookiee#Behind_the_scenes
QuoteWookiees were present in the Star Wars saga from George Lucas's earliest drafts. In many early versions of the story which eventually became A New Hope, a crucial battle takes place on a planet full of Wookiees. This idea resurfaced in early versions of Return of the Jedi, though Ewoks would be used instead - in a DVD commentary, Lucas stated that he changed this because he couldn't reconcile the "primitive", Stone-Age race needed for the story with Chewbacca's strong technological know-how. (Note that the name Ewok is Wookiee with the syllables reversed.) In Revenge of the Sith, the long-awaited Wookiee army finally appeared on screen.

AFK

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 24, 2011, 04:07:15 PM

I've heard this too and I'm pretty certain it came from the horse's mouth.  I seem to remember Lucas or some producer mentioning it in one of the commentary sections on one of the editions on DVD.  I think they more or less admitted that they switched to Ewoks to appeal to kids.  

Yeah, basically what Canis just posted.