News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

ITT, You recommend Coffeemakers

Started by AFK, September 09, 2008, 01:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on September 13, 2008, 03:06:11 AM
how much water to how much coffee grounds to get the concentrate?

9 cups of water to 1 pound coarsely ground coffee.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

nurbldoff

Me, I've got a bodum santos. Vacuum brewing is just that much more entertaining.
Nature is the great teacher. Who is the principal?

Sepia

Ok.

A) French press. If you're getting one, get one like bodum columbia which will actually keep your coffee hot for more than 20 minutes. French presses can be annoying, atleast if you mainly make your coffee in the morning. You'll have to semi pay attention to the fact that you don't boil your water but take it at about 90 degrees. You should also have some semifresh oily coffee to go with it, colombia excelsio being my favourite as its fat and delicious. The french press will give you the best coffee at home unless you go for option B

B) http://tinyurl.com/4zhl8d
This one if manufactured by bodum but i've drunk my way through most of their models and their quality is quite shitty. There's probably other options of manufacture for this pot which will bring you to your knees and beg for more. The pain in the ass about this fucker is that you'll need a gas top, something that's hard to find in northern europe and it's annoying to work with but it still gives you the best coffee bar none.

C) The all classic bialetti. This is what I use when a lack of money forces me to work on the outside of my home and I have to brew something that will wake me up as I smoke my morning cigarettes. You get the bialetti in sizes ranging from 2 cups to 24 cups, these measured in the good oldfashioned standard of "mokka cups", twice the size of a standard single espresso. I have two different versions of the 8cup and one 24cup. The 8 cup will give you one of your weird measuring cups from over there (2.45 dl in the metric) of sweet sweet wakeup.The brewer of choice if only brewing for yourself.

I'm no barista and I like my coffee black without sugar but these are mainly the things I use. Or, what I'm saying is get a french press and a bialetti.

edit: Also because I sleep away most of my day I buy all my coffee at the grocer and my beans are seldomly fresh but after my favourite coffeeshop closed down last year it's okay. Vacuum packed works.
Everyone will always be too late

nurbldoff

You don't actually *need* a gas stove to use a vacuum pot. May be faster though.

Sepia

Does something to the taste with that big bodum thing. Funny thing is I've dragged it with me on two different camping trips.

nurbldoff

You must really love your coffee, that thing is large. And probably brittle.

I'd like to try it on a gas stove, but alas I know almost nobody who has one.

Voodoo

i ran vinegar through my coffee maker and afterward the coffee still tastes bitter.  I think i just need to continue wasting money at starbucks.

Sepia

I've found baking powder to work better than vinegar. Also make sure you clean the filter thingie you find at the bottom of the thing where you pour your water.

Voodoo

I think it would be easier to just trash this one and buy another.  it is just a cheap hotel-style 4 cup Mr. Coffee anyway

LMNO

Buy a better brand of coffee bean.  Grind it fresh.  Use filtered water.

Voodoo

I probably should be grinding at home.  i usually grind at the store and keep it in the freezer -- does that freezer thing actually do anything?  When I was single, my freezer was usually full of coffee and cigarettes.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Rev. Voodoo on September 25, 2008, 03:56:24 PM
I think it would be easier to just trash this one and buy another.  it is just a cheap hotel-style 4 cup Mr. Coffee anyway

do this:

the plastic thingy costs only like 2 bucks or something.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Alethias

I use a Toddy coffee Maker. http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=67.  It's a cold-brew system.  I brew a full pound at a time by steeping it in cold water over night, and drain the coffee concentrate it produces thru a filter into a carafe that I store in the fridge.  Low-acid, high flavor;  in fact, cold brewing brings out more flavor from the bean than traditional brewing.  In the mornings when I make my cuppa coffee it's as fast as instant and tastes excellent.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on September 09, 2008, 01:41:21 PM
Yep.  Mine, that is, the one that was my wife's when we married, I believe was manufactured some time during the Reagan administration.  I wanna new one.  Any of you spags have any coffeemachines that you would rave about to someone?  Huh, well do you? 

Yes, but she's not for sale.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

phaedrusthemad

Very happy with my Aerobie Aeropress.  Cheap, too.