Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Protests EVERYWHERE

Started by Cain, June 18, 2013, 09:50:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Quote from: deadfong on June 18, 2013, 09:28:45 PM
Quote from: The Twid on June 18, 2013, 03:44:36 PM
Note, I'm not trying to make a one liner there, just show that it's probably not a concern for them. Will also see if I can read this a bit after the boss man goes home. (I'm leaving for work shortly).

This.  I've seen similar views from up-scale housing colonies in India.  Worse, actually - Indian slums are fucking horrifying, and the horror is compounded by the fact that they are everywhere.  And yet, the middle and upper classes who live in those colonies can't, or won't, see it.  They actually get angry when foreigners come to India and talk about all the poverty.

The fuck? Is this kind of like the "I don't see race" thing, but "I don't see poverty"?

It may be that the wealth divide is not that drastic in the UK, and I've seen relatively little of non-western countries but I really doubt I could sleep with that as my view. From either direction. Fuck no.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Parts of London are like that.  Shoreditch isn't far from Dalton, and Southwark has gated compounds next to some of the most violent and crime-ridden council estates in the UK.

Because they can lock it out and not deal with the consequences, they don't have to care about it.  Somebody Else's Problem.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on June 18, 2013, 09:28:22 PM
There are a lot of July 4th protesty things planned around the country, I would recommend finding or starting one locally for your stomping pleasure.

All the ones we have here are protesting the fact that a Black man became president, when you get right down to brass tacks.
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 18, 2013, 09:37:17 PM
There are a lot of July 4th protesty things planned around the country, I would recommend finding or starting one locally for your stomping pleasure.

All the ones we have here are protesting the fact that a Black man became president, when you get right down to brass tacks.

Up here we're too busy arguing over whether recommending a dress code is too exclusionary and also did you know that getting the stink eye is a hate crime now?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on June 18, 2013, 09:41:46 PM

Up here we're too busy arguing over whether recommending a dress code is too exclusionary and also did you know that getting the stink eye is a hate crime now?

A dress code?  You're SHITTING me.

And when *I* do the stink eye, it's a Goddamn CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY.  Tell those bastards to straighten up before I have to come out there.
Molon Lube

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on June 18, 2013, 09:36:03 PM
Parts of London are like that.  Shoreditch isn't far from Dalton, and Southwark has gated compounds next to some of the most violent and crime-ridden council estates in the UK.

Because they can lock it out and not deal with the consequences, they don't have to care about it.  Somebody Else's Problem.

I've not seen many of these kind of things though, they seem to be a newer choice for developers. Again, I don't get the idea as it's a total fucking illusion of safety. It's not like the gates rival Troy and there's a SWAT team in the basement.

Probably over-estimating humans again thinking they'd actually do something about the problem they see out of their window every day. At least, in any long term way the changes the system.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Please tell me this is something along the lines of "No tea party shit"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 18, 2013, 09:45:55 PM

Or no hipsters.  Or New England snobs not wanting to be seen with young people.

THIS IS NOT CANADA.  NO.  WE DO NOT NEED A TIE TO YELL AT PEOPLE.
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 18, 2013, 09:42:58 PM

A dress code?  You're SHITTING me.

And when *I* do the stink eye, it's a Goddamn CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY.  Tell those bastards to straighten up before I have to come out there.

True, but when mere mortals do it and someone literally calls it a hate crime  :horrormirth:

Junkenstein

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 18, 2013, 09:48:30 PM

You misunderstand.

"No tea party shit" excludes likely tea-party supporters. And at a protest like this they're going to be fucking insufferable. Some of that random rhetoric had a chunk of truth, kind of, and you will fucking hear about it.

All. Damn. Day.

But hey, on your head. Just trying to save your brain from melting here.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 18, 2013, 09:52:31 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 18, 2013, 09:48:30 PM

You misunderstand.

"No tea party shit" excludes likely tea-party supporters. And at a protest like this they're going to be fucking insufferable. Some of that random rhetoric had a chunk of truth, kind of, and you will fucking hear about it.

All. Damn. Day.

But hey, on your head. Just trying to save your brain from melting here.

But that's all I have left.  :(

I'm taking my cue from Nigel on this; in these matters her advice is nearly of Redman quality.

I am going to go tell them what.
Molon Lube

deadfong

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 18, 2013, 09:34:03 PM
Quote from: deadfong on June 18, 2013, 09:28:45 PM
Quote from: The Twid on June 18, 2013, 03:44:36 PM
Note, I'm not trying to make a one liner there, just show that it's probably not a concern for them. Will also see if I can read this a bit after the boss man goes home. (I'm leaving for work shortly).

This.  I've seen similar views from up-scale housing colonies in India.  Worse, actually - Indian slums are fucking horrifying, and the horror is compounded by the fact that they are everywhere.  And yet, the middle and upper classes who live in those colonies can't, or won't, see it.  They actually get angry when foreigners come to India and talk about all the poverty.

The fuck? Is this kind of like the "I don't see race" thing, but "I don't see poverty"?

It may be that the wealth divide is not that drastic in the UK, and I've seen relatively little of non-western countries but I really doubt I could sleep with that as my view. From either direction. Fuck no.

I think much of the reason rampant poverty is so tolerated/ignored in India is the caste system.  It's such a rigid hierarchy, and so huge, that there's almost always going to be someone below you and someone above you, and the culture really enforces the belief that that's how it should be.  And caste is something you're born into - no matter what you do, even if you manage to make it big somehow, your caste never changes.  It cannot change.  BIP, indeed.

Salty

Quote from: Cain on June 18, 2013, 09:07:56 PM
The 60s were very different ideologically though, in that there was an articulated program for alternative means of governance and a method of action behind them ie; Communism, the New Left, New Agers etc.

Now there is, as we are so often reminded, no alternative.  And none is being articulated.  Therefore, discontent is articulated exists entirely within the malfunction of the current arrangement, and as soon as the primary reasons for that discontent are removed (the lack of jobs), then the status quo, in America at least, will be much more secure.

I mean, realistically, jobs aside, there is no difference in the economic conditions of today, five years ago, ten years ago or twenty years ago.  The discontent does not come from the operation of the system itself, but in how it affects one personally.

Do you think a new or alternative ideology has the strength to change that? Could such a thing occur? Or is No Alternative without and alternative?
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Cain

Well, so far, fascism and Islam are presented as alternatives, but both have bad PR and one is culturally alien to the current global powers.

Junkenstein

I suppose there's communism too, but the PR isn't great there either.