Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

This Oregon gunman seems to be a piece of work

Started by Cain, October 02, 2015, 12:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 02, 2015, 09:51:46 PM
Quote from: Nast on October 02, 2015, 09:44:40 PM
And people don't want to think about how our society is an environment that keeps producing these people.

THAT SHIT.  RIGHT THERE.

Cookies to anyone who can turn that into an article.

Fuck, cookies for EVERYONE if that gets turned into an article. I am sick of the "don't glorify the perpetrators" narrative. You don't fix problems by focusing on where they aren't.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 02, 2015, 10:36:53 PM
And people don't want to think about how our society is an environment that keeps producing these people.

THAT SHIT.  RIGHT THERE.

Fuck, cookies for EVERYONE if that gets turned into an article. I am sick of the "don't glorify the perpetrators" narrative. You don't fix problems by focusing on where they aren't.

I'll write something here, with Nast's permission, but I don't do articles.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nast

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 02, 2015, 10:37:52 PM

THAT SHIT.  RIGHT THERE.

You have 110% of my permission!
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nast on October 02, 2015, 10:45:12 PM

THAT SHIT.  RIGHT THERE.

Okay, let me see what I can do with it.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 02, 2015, 11:04:34 PM
Quote from: Nast on October 02, 2015, 10:45:12 PM

THAT SHIT.  RIGHT THERE.

Okay, let me see what I can do with it.

On a note about his environment, Redgy Semaj has been a long time, if rare posting, FB friend of mine and posted this not long ago. Asked him if I might share it here and he said go.

Seems like a pretty sick environment to me. I can barely read the shit and haven't finished yet, but will after I post this.

The term "moralfag" made me want to purge the heretic really, really thoroughly.  :evilmad:

On a technical note is this from some sort of reddit archive site?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 02, 2015, 07:53:21 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 02, 2015, 07:24:22 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 02, 2015, 07:19:06 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 02, 2015, 07:10:35 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 02, 2015, 05:05:09 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 02, 2015, 03:43:09 PM
In other words, a typical Oregon boy.

Portland as compared to the rest of Oregon is sort of like the Egyptian national museum surrounded by ISIS.  It boggles my mind that this sort of thing hasn't happened before.

We had a mall shooter a couple of years ago.

Same thing, or just a maniac?

I guess I'm failing to recognize the distinction between the two.

One thinks his beliefs justify violent action.

One thinks Barney Rubble is giving him instructions.

I think that the line between these two is too thin to place them in separate categories.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I would like to participate more meaningfully in this thread but I really am just not emotionally in a place where I can do that. It's too close to home, in too many ways. Hopefully later on after letting it settle I can contribute more.

One of the thoughts I keep having is about how we send kids to war where they shoot people and that's supposed be OK, but then sometimes, like my little brother, they come home and they try to live a normal life and go to school and they can't do it and they put a gun in their mouths because they just spent the last 18 months shooting people they don't know and they cannot reconcile being a person who murders strangers with being a guy who goes to class and makes friends and is a good human being.

And then there are little loser assholes like this guy, and all the other guys who decide to shoot up a school or a mall or a park, and I honestly just can't reconcile that we have kids that we SEND PLACES to murder strangers and then we act all shocked when someone murders strangers here.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 03, 2015, 05:10:37 AM
I would like to participate more meaningfully in this thread but I really am just not emotionally in a place where I can do that. It's too close to home, in too many ways. Hopefully later on after letting it settle I can contribute more.

One of the thoughts I keep having is about how we send kids to war where they shoot people and that's supposed be OK, but then sometimes, like my little brother, they come home and they try to live a normal life and go to school and they can't do it and they put a gun in their mouths because they just spent the last 18 months shooting people they don't know and they cannot reconcile being a person who murders strangers with being a guy who goes to class and makes friends and is a good human being.

And then there are little loser assholes like this guy, and all the other guys who decide to shoot up a school or a mall or a park, and I honestly just can't reconcile that we have kids that we SEND PLACES to murder strangers and then we act all shocked when someone murders strangers here.

My sincere condolences Nigel. One of my brothers very nearly did the same for quite different reasons. I'll tell the whole story sometime soonish, but I have life-long scars inside and out from the matter.

I too wonder at how we can take someone and weaponize them with absolutely no government systems in place, that I know of, to support their return to civilian life. Marines particularly get a serious mind job done on them to support their battle function, yet when they are discharged, for whatever reason, no trouble is taken to ensure that they can re-adapt.

I lost a very good friend from high school to the Marines. When I saw him again some years ago he WAS like a different person with my old friend's memories. As far as I know he's still in, alive and well, but we could not re-connect meaningfully. I was now a sheep to him. I asked him if he'd follow an order to kill me without evidence of direct threat. He said yes. I asked how he would react if he knew or later discovered that the order was given wrongly and unlawfully. He said he'd follow orders.

There was no lie in his eyes, but I could see his doubt for a moment just before he broke eye contact. I kept looking straight at him until he looked up again and something ELSE had replaced that doubt in about 2 seconds. For the first time in a long time I felt rattled and HAD to look away. It just wasn't him, what was left of my old friend was running on a new OS that saw in me only a hostile signal.

I respect the Marines and the military generally, but they took my friend and I can't, I won't, forgive or forget. Neither seems wise at all.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 03, 2015, 05:10:37 AM

I can't argue with a single thing you said here.

Kalera's Principle, again:  You cannot brutalize others without brutalizing yourself.
TGRR's corollary:  This applies to nations as well as individuals. 

We've spent 220 years shitting on everyone's parade.  How would we not expect to have a bumper crop of lunatics?

Bruno

That's the thing, I think. People don't want to think too hard about the mind of a killer, lest they find that they can actually empathize level with them on some level. It's easier, more comforting, to have villains and heroes, black and white.

And people don't want to think about how our society is an environment that keeps producing these people. Nope, easier to just listen to the talking heads argue about gun control and security in schools.

No way! It's them dang liberals and their dang ol' War on Christianity what dunnit! Jesus dun tole us this would happen!

Formerly something else...

Meunster

I think in some weird way and hompodge of reactions this comes down to our society being way too sex centered.
It's breeding a lot of sexualy frustrated young people. Who hsve no way to get release, and that builds over years. Plus when the media says "you must look like X to get sex" which isnt true, but to people who don't meet standerds it's  a big blow to self esteem. There's no support group for people like that. The old /r9k/ was like that.
So in my shitty opinion we as a society should either, focus less on sex being required to be normal, have therapist for people whom view themselfs as unfuckable, or legalize prostitution.
Poe's law ;)

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Meunster on October 03, 2015, 11:41:00 PMmy shitty opinion

I hope you don't mind, I edited your post to only include the relevant parts.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Meunster

Poe's law ;)

Pergamos

I keep hearing that the Oregon shooter was anti-Christian.  Has anyone else been getting that or is that Fox news misinformation?

LMNO

He was anti-religion in general, going from his web posts.  It appears he was asking people what faith they were, and then shooting them.  Fox has spun this to make it sound like he was targeting Christians.