News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

The Confessional is OPEN.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, November 04, 2011, 06:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EK WAFFLR

Opphavet til ordet troll er usikkert. Noen har foreslått en forbindelse til gamle germanske ord for å knuse eller tumle, andre tror det kan være en dempende og feminin form av et eldre ord som nå er ukjent. Å trolle er en sideform til å trylle, selv om ordene har forskjellig utgangspunkt. Opprinnelig betød trolle det «å gjøre til troll», og trylling har dermed røtter i trolldom, trollskap og trollmakt.

Uttrykket å gå troll i ord, altså at noe negativt skjer hvis en snakker om det, bygger på forestillinger om noaord og tabuer, det vil si den utbredte og urgamle redselen for å omtale onde krefter eller farer ved deres rette navn. På svensk het det allerede i 1678 at «när man talar om trollet, så är det inte långt borta» (på tysk finner vi varianten «wo der Teufel genannt wird, da will er sein»).

Gigantiske troll kan på dansk og svensk ofte kalles jætte eller jätte, altså kjempe. Ordet jætte stammer som det norske ordet jøtul direkte fra det norrøne jotun som igjen kan ha sammenheng med «storeter».
Troll kan i overført betydning også brukes om en vill og umulig person. I dag brukes derfor troll eller internettroll på engelsk om anonyme deltakere som ødelegger debatter med sinte og hatske innlegg på diskusjonsfora på Internettet,.

Andre betydninger.

Ordet troll har også helt andre betydninger på norsk. Troll kan være både allsang, særlig kanon, men også fiskesnøre på ei fiskestang. Troll er dessuten et utbredt egennavn på produkter og annet, se pekersida troll.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Waffle Iron on December 07, 2011, 06:48:01 AM
Opphavet til ordet troll er usikkert. Noen har foreslått en forbindelse til gamle germanske ord for å knuse eller tumle, andre tror det kan være en dempende og feminin form av et eldre ord som nå er ukjent. Å trolle er en sideform til å trylle, selv om ordene har forskjellig utgangspunkt. Opprinnelig betød trolle det «å gjøre til troll», og trylling har dermed røtter i trolldom, trollskap og trollmakt.

Uttrykket å gå troll i ord, altså at noe negativt skjer hvis en snakker om det, bygger på forestillinger om noaord og tabuer, det vil si den utbredte og urgamle redselen for å omtale onde krefter eller farer ved deres rette navn. På svensk het det allerede i 1678 at «när man talar om trollet, så är det inte långt borta» (på tysk finner vi varianten «wo der Teufel genannt wird, da will er sein»).

Gigantiske troll kan på dansk og svensk ofte kalles jætte eller jätte, altså kjempe. Ordet jætte stammer som det norske ordet jøtul direkte fra det norrøne jotun som igjen kan ha sammenheng med «storeter».
Troll kan i overført betydning også brukes om en vill og umulig person. I dag brukes derfor troll eller internettroll på engelsk om anonyme deltakere som ødelegger debatter med sinte og hatske innlegg på diskusjonsfora på Internettet,.

Andre betydninger.

Ordet troll har også helt andre betydninger på norsk. Troll kan være både allsang, særlig kanon, men også fiskesnøre på ei fiskestang. Troll er dessuten et utbredt egennavn på produkter og annet, se pekersida troll.

I bet this'll be delightful after Google Translate mangles it for me.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Waffle Iron on December 07, 2011, 06:48:01 AMThe origin of the word troll is uncertain. Some have suggested a connection to the old Germanic word for crushing or playground, others think it can be a calming and feminine form of an old word which is now unknown. To trolling is a page form to magic, although they have different starting points. Originally meant trolling the "to do the magic" and magic is thus rooted in sorcery, witchcraft and magic power.

The phrase to go troll the word, meaning something negative happens if one talks about it, based on the belief noaord and taboos, that is, the widespread and ancient fear to mention the forces of evil or danger by their right names. In Swedish it was stated already in 1678 that "När Mon speaks about the troll, so it är inte långt away" (in German we find the variation "wo where Teufel genannt wird, then goodwill is late").

Gigantic trolls can in Danish and Swedish is often called jætte or Jatte, that fight. The word jætte tribes like the Norwegian word giant directly from the Norse giant who in turn may be related to "glutton."
Troll can figuratively be used on a wild and impossible person. Today, therefore, troll or Internet roll in English about the anonymous participants who destroys debates with angry and hateful posts on discussion forums on the Internet,.

Other meanings.

The word magic also has completely different meanings in Norwegian. Troll can be both singing, especially the canon, but also the fishing line on a fishing rod. Troll is also a common proper names of products and more, see the pointing hand magic.

:lulz: Thank you, Google Translate.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Nigel on December 07, 2011, 09:47:55 AM
Quote from: Waffle Iron on December 07, 2011, 06:48:01 AMThe origin of the word troll is uncertain. Some have suggested a connection to the old Germanic word for crushing or playground, others think it can be a calming and feminine form of an old word which is now unknown. To trolling is a page form to magic, although they have different starting points. Originally meant trolling the "to do the magic" and magic is thus rooted in sorcery, witchcraft and magic power.

The phrase to go troll the word, meaning something negative happens if one talks about it, based on the belief noaord and taboos, that is, the widespread and ancient fear to mention the forces of evil or danger by their right names. In Swedish it was stated already in 1678 that "När Mon speaks about the troll, so it är inte långt away" (in German we find the variation "wo where Teufel genannt wird, then goodwill is late").

Gigantic trolls can in Danish and Swedish is often called jætte or Jatte, that fight. The word jætte tribes like the Norwegian word giant directly from the Norse giant who in turn may be related to "glutton."
Troll can figuratively be used on a wild and impossible person. Today, therefore, troll or Internet roll in English about the anonymous participants who destroys debates with angry and hateful posts on discussion forums on the Internet,.

Other meanings.

The word magic also has completely different meanings in Norwegian. Troll can be both singing, especially the canon, but also the fishing line on a fishing rod. Troll is also a common proper names of products and more, see the pointing hand magic.

:lulz: Thank you, Google Translate.

Oh my jesus shitfuck. Brilliant!
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

[/b]

Triple Zero

in English it's just "speak of the devil". funny how that's often applicable to internet trolls as well :-)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

EK WAFFLR

The current (been that way for decades) expression for that in Norway is Speak of the Sun and it starts shining.

[/b]

Triple Zero

Quote from: Waffle Iron on December 07, 2011, 04:50:07 PM
The current (been that way for decades) expression for that in Norway is Speak of the Sun and it starts shining.

Sounds like wishful thinking, that :lol:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.