News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

Chasing Eris

Started by Placid Dingo, June 29, 2012, 11:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: CAKE on November 16, 2012, 03:39:45 PM
Uncle BadTouch is not my people, ergo I have no business appearing in a book about him.

Nail/head.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Placid Dingo

Thank you all very much for the responses, and I appreciate the concerns.

I have seriously considered peoples concerns and ultimately I'm of the same opinion as before. I have a series of in person and internet interviews collected. If you would like to add yours, I would value your time, however if your participation is contingent on having influence over the final product (other than your own interview, which I will send back to you to check for errors), then I'm afraid I'm not OK with that.

Most people here have known me for three or four years now I think, and are capable of deciding if they trust me to represent Discordia fairly. If you don't trust the decisions I make, I'm OK with that, but I won't be doing interviews contingent on anyone else having final say on what I include.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Placid Dingo on November 16, 2012, 09:51:40 PM
Thank you all very much for the responses, and I appreciate the concerns.

I have seriously considered peoples concerns and ultimately I'm of the same opinion as before. I have a series of in person and internet interviews collected. If you would like to add yours, I would value your time, however if your participation is contingent on having influence over the final product (other than your own interview, which I will send back to you to check for errors), then I'm afraid I'm not OK with that.

Most people here have known me for three or four years now I think, and are capable of deciding if they trust me to represent Discordia fairly. If you don't trust the decisions I make, I'm OK with that, but I won't be doing interviews contingent on anyone else having final say on what I include.

Balls.  You defriended at least one person involved, after heaving a bunch of people off the FB page.

Now you're mister reasonable.  "You can all come crawling back, now.  Not addressing your concerns."

Called that shit.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think I would have had more respect for the way you handled it if you hadn't tried to scuff the Uncle BadTouch interview under the carpet; if you'd recognized that it was a potential issue in the beginning and said "Hey guys, there's this. It may affect how you feel about how you are represented and whether you want to participate. Any input on how I should handle it?". But instead, you chose to quietly disregard Roger's concerns when he brought it up, to the extent that other concerned parties missed it. As I believe you intended. Until it came up again and I brought it up as a point that couldn't so easily be blithely disregarded and hushed, although that is, to my eye, exactly what you tried to do when you moved to silence me and shut me down in your group.

As it stands, no, after the way you skimmed over that, banned me from your group mid-argument, and unfriended me because I don't want to participate in your little project, I don't trust you to represent the community, I don't trust your judgement, and I also don't think that a book about current-day Discordians that doesn't include Roger and LMNO is worth my time. You keep insisting that this is about people trying to dictate who you will interview, but it's the exact opposite; it's people removing themselves from your purview. Stop trying to make it into something else.

You yourself asked that we not use your real name on the board because you don't want it associated with Discordianism until you're done teaching... how is it that you cannot understand that some people here, especially those of us whose real identities are closely linked to our Discordian identities, simply don't want to be associated with someone who is a hanger-on with socially repugnant ideas about adults having sex with minors? Congratulations on giving a truly repugnant person what he's always wanted and been laughed off at every previous turn; legitimacy as a truly Important Discordian Person. If, for some unfathomable reason, your painfully incomplete glimpse into the Discordian community ends up legitimizing Uncle BadTouch as a serious contributor to Discordia, I will disavow any and all connection to Discordianism.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

This has been said before, but to reiterate: No need to get all territorial, nobody's trying to CONTROL YOUR PROJECT.

We don't want to be associated with a child diddler.

DUHR.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: CAKE on November 16, 2012, 10:15:08 PM
Congratulations on giving a truly repugnant person what he's always wanted and been laughed off at every previous turn; legitimacy as a truly Important Discordian Person. If, for some unfathomable reason, your painfully incomplete glimpse into the Discordian community ends up legitimizing Uncle BadTouch as a serious contributor to Discordia, I will disavow any and all connection to Discordianism.

I don't think that will be necessary.  I don't see Loveshadeopedia going very far.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on November 16, 2012, 10:16:01 PM
This has been said before, but to reiterate: No need to get all territorial, nobody's trying to CONTROL YOUR PROJECT.

DUHR.

You're missing the point.  Placid Dingo isn't stupid; he can tell the difference between "telling him what to do" and "not taking part".  This is a ruse he can hide behind so that he doesn't have to defend asking people to play bit roles in his hero's epic.

Anna Mae Bollocks

I think I would have had more respect for the way you handled it if you hadn't tried to scuff the Uncle BadTouch interview under the carpet; if you'd recognized that it was a potential issue in the beginning and said "Hey guys, there's this. It may affect how you feel about how you are represented and whether you want to participate. Any input on how I should handle it?". But instead, you chose to quietly disregard Roger's concerns when he brought it up, to the extent that other concerned parties missed it. As I believe you intended. Until it came up again and I brought it up as a point that couldn't so easily be blithely disregarded and hushed, although that is, to my eye, exactly what you tried to do when you moved to silence me and shut me down in your group.

As it stands, no, after the way you skimmed over that, banned me from your group mid-argument, and unfriended me because I don't want to participate in your little project, I don't trust you to represent the community, I don't trust your judgement, and I also don't think that a book about current-day Discordians that doesn't include Roger and LMNO is worth my time. You keep insisting that this is about people trying to dictate who you will interview, but it's the exact opposite; it's people removing themselves from your purview. Stop trying to make it into something else.

You yourself asked that we not use your real name on the board because you don't want it associated with Discordianism until you're done teaching... how is it that you cannot understand that some people here, especially those of us whose real identities are closely linked to our Discordian identities, simply don't want to be associated with someone who is a hanger-on with socially repugnant ideas about adults having sex with minors? Congratulations on giving a truly repugnant person what he's always wanted and been laughed off at every previous turn; legitimacy as a truly Important Discordian Person. If, for some unfathomable reason, your painfully incomplete glimpse into the Discordian community ends up legitimizing Uncle BadTouch as a serious contributor to Discordia, I will disavow any and all connection to Discordianism.

Nigel says it so much better than me. THIS.

The Good Reverend Roger

You yourself asked that we not use your real name on the board because you don't want it associated with Discordianism until you're done teaching...

Oh, that's priceless.

:lulz:

"HEY, EVERYONE!  COME RISK YOUR REPUTATION BY BEING IN THE SAME BOOK AS A KIDDIE-DIDDLER.  BUT NOBODY USE MY REAL NAME, BECAUSE I DO NOT WISH TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH YOU PEOPLE."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I also feel as if at least a little deliberate effort, if only in the form of hoping we wouldn't notice or say anything, was made to trick those of us who have repeatedly stated that we will have no association with RL at all, in any way, into agreeing to participate. And if it truly didn't occur to you that it might be an issue, then your judgement is more lacking than I imagined possible.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 16, 2012, 10:18:26 PM

DUHR.

You're missing the point.  Placid Dingo isn't stupid; he can tell the difference between "telling him what to do" and "not taking part".  This is a ruse he can hide behind so that he doesn't have to defend asking people to play bit roles in his hero's epic.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 16, 2012, 10:20:23 PM
You yourself asked that we not use your real name on the board because you don't want it associated with Discordianism until you're done teaching...

Oh, that's priceless.

"HEY, EVERYONE!  COME RISK YOUR REPUTATION BY BEING IN THE SAME BOOK AS A KIDDIE-DIDDLER.  BUT NOBODY USE MY REAL NAME, BECAUSE I DO NOT WISH TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH YOU PEOPLE."

Now I'm not wanting to be associated with Dingo, either.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on November 16, 2012, 10:22:48 PM

DUHR.

Oh, that's priceless.

Me, neither, but that hasn't ever really been an issue.  Dingo's been down on me since he got here, and now I know why.

But, yeah, with that aside, I don't want to be associated with people who are THAT careful about their own reputation, yet have NO consideration for anyone else's.

I was actually okay with him on some level til the whole "Don't ever use my name" following "you guys need to be okay with being stacked up next to Uncle BadTouch."

Fuck that, and fuck him.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I want to make something very, VERY, VERY clear: I am not giving an ultimatum. I am not saying "get rid of that guy or I won't play". I'm simply withdrawing. I have never once said or even implied that I was issuing an ultimatum or making a threat, and I strongly resent being told that I'm trying to dictate ANYTHING other than my own participation. So Dingo, you can go fuck yourself for that insult, too.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 16, 2012, 10:25:05 PM
Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on November 16, 2012, 10:22:48 PM

DUHR.

Oh, that's priceless.

Me, neither, but that hasn't ever really been an issue.  Dingo's been down on me since he got here, and now I know why.

But, yeah, with that aside, I don't want to be associated with people who are THAT careful about their own reputation, yet have NO consideration for anyone else's.

I was actually okay with him on some level til the whole "Don't ever use my name" following "you guys need to be okay with being stacked up next to Uncle BadTouch."

Fuck that, and fuck him.

Correct reaction to that kind of narcissism or whatever the fuck it is.

Quote from: CAKE on November 16, 2012, 10:27:25 PM
I want to make something very, VERY, VERY clear: I am not giving an ultimatum. I am not saying "get rid of that guy or I won't play". I'm simply withdrawing. I have never once said or even implied that I was issuing an ultimatum or making a threat, and I strongly resent being told that I'm trying to dictate ANYTHING other than my own participation. So Dingo, you can go fuck yourself for that insult, too.

He IS kind of evangelical about it, isn't he?

This whole thing just gets creepier the longe you look at it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am also pretty irritated that I got my ass jumped in his group just for ASKING whether it was true that Uncle BadTouch was involved, and a ton of assumptions poured onto my question, including that I was giving an ultimatum, which I never fucking did, but was Dingo putting words in my mouth. And THEN I was banned, while I was away at classes, without a chance to finish my end of the conversation or to defend myself from the accusation that I was somehow trying to "control" Dingo's project.