News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

I discovered a nice little set-up from my landlord in the process of moving. I don't have proof of who precisely dunnit, but the intrusions I discovered about 6 mo before I moved and had long suspected such. Pretty sure that the property manager is an ex-spook. Got a personality like wet cardboard and paranoid as fuck. I have been no problem that he can pin down without admitting to unlawful intrusion by either himself or one of his many henchmen.

He has a crew willing to deliver rolls of carpet and padding on a moment's notice on Memorial Day. He didn't bother to tell me he felt that the carpets were uncleanable, I had to text him. He was more cagy than usual in reply.

When I move I'm always very thorough about cleanup. Pretty sure they were counting on the opposite. On top of one of my closet shelves I found a box of girlscout Lemon Cream cookies with no dust on top of it. I hate lemon cream and noticed the odd lack of dust right away. It felt heavy and the cardboard was pristine. Inside:

1 plastic sandwich bag and a brand-new looking electronic scale in its box. On opening the scale's box I found that the cover/weighing tray had a bright red-green little leaflet of pot stuck right to the middle of the cover. Inside, fresh sprinkles of same, but not like an actually used scale which has fine powders at certain common accumulation points. This was just recently sprinkled on. Box dated to the year I moved in, 2012. I wasn't smoking such back then, never owned anything in the box. Contents was EXACTLY enough to burn me for traffic, in LaX simple possession and paraphanelia are misdemeanors, this was evidence of a hard felony. My friend helping me had a four-alarm freak out. I was EXTRA thorough cleaning and photo-documented the room after.

Next day I saw him in the hall when I dropped off my keys. We had a meaningful moment, my GRIN was superior. He couldn't keep my eyes. All the proof I needed. I still have a covert copy of the building key and never really needed one if it came to down to it. Doubt he'll be playing again though. The damages apparently were much worse than he believed. The list of repair costs was worth every penny of my deposit.... and then some :)
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There was a Pikachu near my house and some janky bicyclist got it just as I was abut to.  :argh!:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

MMIX

Quote from: Faust on July 14, 2016, 07:27:44 PM
I moved everything from one server to another, it should be back now

http://www.erisbarandgrill.com/

Nope. It might just be hirley0 & me but it doesn't seem to be back :(
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Nnnnng I need to write my application essay, which is really just a formality but I want it to be impressive so that the application reviewers go "Oh, of course, that's why Dr. L wants her" and not "Really, that's it? Whatever" but I'm just feeling totally unable to make words flow.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Faust

Still exists, hirly uses it a lot.
It was working for about 5 minutes but it said all the directories were read only, trying to find out why now.

Faust

There we go, all file permissions had reset to read only which meant the forum wouldn't load http://www.erisbarandgrill.com/

MMIX

"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm all on tenterhooks right now because my grad school application is READY but I am still waiting on the email with the fee waiver code. I even called and talked to the guy, and he said he would personally check on it and get it to me today. That was an hour ago. :( I guess if all else fails I can go to the admissions office in person on Monday, but they want it ASAP.

The Good Reverend Roger

So, last of the poking and prodding is done.

Not cancer, not popcorn lung, not emphysemia.  Nothing wrong with my lungs at all.  Apparently, I have managed to burn a hole in my epiglotis (sp?) with pure bile (despite Nexium).  Due to the local anesthetic they had me swallow for the tube, my voice sounds like Lemmy after a box of cigars.

But I shall survive to be a pest for some time yet.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quotemy voice sounds like Lemmy after a box of cigars.

Presumably there's also a downside?

I'm frustrated as fuck.  Mostly because Overlook Press apparently can't organise a piss up in a brewery, let alone releasing a book on its actual UK release date, along with its attendant Kindle title on the same day.  Oh no, they'd rather have none in stock, not know when they're going to get more in stock, and not release the Kindle version until the end of September.

As luck would have it, I managed to find a third party seller who had imported a bunch of the books from the US for the release date, and will probably have to wait another week before the book arrives.  And I can't even find pirate copies of it to download in the meantime.

But it's OK.  It's not like it's important or anything.  It's just The Great Ordeal.  It's not like the previous book ended on a series of WTFs and cliffhangers which has taken the best part of 3 years to be written.  Or that I can't even go to certain forums and sites any more for fear of seeing spoilers.  Nope.  Totally not annoyed by that at all.

I know his publishing schedule is glacial by comparison, but at least when George RR Martin releases a book, the Kindle version is out the same damn day.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on July 15, 2016, 01:24:36 AM
Quotemy voice sounds like Lemmy after a box of cigars.

Presumably there's also a downside?

I can't taste anything.

QuoteI'm frustrated as fuck.  Mostly because Overlook Press apparently can't organise a piss up in a brewery, let alone releasing a book on its actual UK release date, along with its attendant Kindle title on the same day.  Oh no, they'd rather have none in stock, not know when they're going to get more in stock, and not release the Kindle version until the end of September.

As luck would have it, I managed to find a third party seller who had imported a bunch of the books from the US for the release date, and will probably have to wait another week before the book arrives.  And I can't even find pirate copies of it to download in the meantime.

But it's OK.  It's not like it's important or anything.  It's just The Great Ordeal.  It's not like the previous book ended on a series of WTFs and cliffhangers which has taken the best part of 3 years to be written.  Or that I can't even go to certain forums and sites any more for fear of seeing spoilers.  Nope.  Totally not annoyed by that at all.

I know his publishing schedule is glacial by comparison, but at least when George RR Martin releases a book, the Kindle version is out the same damn day.

I feel you.  I have a nook, and Amazon is putting the screws on.  Unless you're Stephen King or someone similar, you have to give Amazon a free 6 month exclusive, so I wait for damn near everything.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.