News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

MISOGYNY STICKERS (a.k.a. the 'Fictionpuss is wrong' thread)

Started by Cainad (dec.), August 11, 2009, 05:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Ideas are not actions.

I really hope I don't have to clarify this any further.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: [uV*] on August 11, 2009, 06:29:34 PM
Cainad, unless you make stickering your full-time job, statistical fluctuation will make any effect meaningless. This would only make sense if it's a VERY CONCENTRATED effort of several people over a limited area and a long span of time (say, a year or five), and I don't think anyone here hates fictionpuss quite that bad.

:kingmeh: ...

Quote from: [uV*] on August 11, 2009, 06:29:34 PM
Umm, I mean, DO EEEET!!! FOR SCIENCE!!!!

:banana:  :mrgreen:

Captain Utopia

Quote from: [uV*] on August 11, 2009, 06:42:10 PM
Way to miss the point. Cainad suggested doing science on this. I pointed out a methodological problem with that. End of story.
I think it's relevant - until such time as models exist which can accurately predict the impact of meme - everything is shades of hypothetical opinion. Maybe the moon is made out of cheese, and maybe reading this will make you kick your granny. The probability of either of those events being true seems so low that it's not really interesting to talk about.

Also, this memebomb will do more good than bad, if it does anything at all,

Prove it or retract your statement.

and you have a very very strange world-view.
I know :-/

Cain

So according to fictionpuss, spreading ideas about Nazism is bad....even if this is in history textbooks telling us how terrible Nazism is.

LMNO

Quote from: fictionpuss on August 11, 2009, 07:05:17 PM
until such time as models exist which can accurately predict the impact of meme - everything is shades of hypothetical opinion.

...And for some reason, you feel your hypothetical opinion is somehow "better" than ours...

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on August 11, 2009, 07:07:38 PM
So according to fictionpuss, spreading ideas about Nazism is bad....even if this is in history textbooks telling us how terrible Nazism is.

BRB, gotta go make a lampshade out of a Jew.

Hey, what the--- MEMES!
:argh!:

Verbal Mike

So... where in the world are there five spags who live within fifteen minutes' walking from one another and are crazy enough to pull this off?

@Fictionpuss: how about you prove your claims that this is harmful? My opinion (not claim or statement of supposed fact) is that this won't make any difference but *might* cause some spags to reasses the way they interact with people. Yours is apparently that people who see this memebomb are likely to become more misogynistic because of it - a much stronger assertion. Also, mine is just my opinion, and I'm not going to tell anybody what to do or not do because of it. Nor am I going to spend any time "proving it". Suck it. Unscientific fuckwit.
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on August 11, 2009, 07:08:30 PM

BRB, gotta go make a lampshade out of a Jew.

Hey, what the--- MEMES!
:argh!:

Incidentally, that idea came to mind not (just) to get to Godwin's Law as quickly as possible, but because I got most of my books on Nazism, fascism, right-wing extremism, Marxism, Communism and anarchist terrorism from a very excellent torrent called "Bad Ideologies".

Also, it would kind of put me out of any possible future work, since my main skill is analysing, dissecting and theorizing on some very bad ideas indeed.

Verbal Mike

On a slightly more serious note, this kind of thinking about dangerous memes is itself incredibly dangerous. Cf. case of that guy Hicham who got (or was going to get?) deported from the UK for studying CIA (?) material on terrorism... If we can't be allowed to deal with dangerous ideas because they're too dangerous, they ironically become much more powerful and capable of causing harm.

(The above is my subjective opinion and I'm not going to cite or "prove" anything, ever. In fact, this is going in my sig now.)
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Captain Utopia

Actually, I don't believe anything close to that. Although it would certainly be funnier if I did. So I'll leave it at then then.

Goodbye, cruel thread!

Cain

Not sure if its the same guy, but I know a student at Nottingham is getting deported to Algeria.  He was, like me, studying terrorism, and, like everyone who studies terrorism, read the 1996 Al-Qaeda manual, hosted on the US Department of Justice's website.  Unlike everyone else who studies terrorism, he was then accused of accessing "terrorist material", thrown in a cell for several weeks, and is now being forced to leave the country.

Because god forbid we have an expert on terrorism who is a Muslim.  He might prove the clash of the civilizations and the naive idea that Islam is uniquely violent as a crock of shit.

Rod Stewart

Cain

Quote from: fictionpuss on August 11, 2009, 07:18:15 PM
Actually, I don't believe anything close to that. Although it would certainly be funnier if I did. So I'll leave it at then then.

Goodbye, cruel thread!

So you don't believe Nazism is a bad idea, then?

Jenne

Quote from: Cain on August 11, 2009, 07:20:37 PM
Not sure if its the same guy, but I know a student at Nottingham is getting deported to Algeria.  He was, like me, studying terrorism, and, like everyone who studies terrorism, read the 1996 Al-Qaeda manual, hosted on the US Department of Justice's website.  Unlike everyone else who studies terrorism, he was then accused of accessing "terrorist material", thrown in a cell for several weeks, and is now being forced to leave the country.

Because god forbid we have an expert on terrorism who is a Muslim.  He might prove the clash of the civilizations and the naive idea that Islam is uniquely violent as a crock of shit.

My brother-in-law direct from Afghanistan-by-way-of-Pakistan now wants to go to UC Santa Barbara to study poli sci IR...times could get interesting for that little fuck soon enough.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on August 11, 2009, 07:21:34 PM
Quote from: fictionpuss on August 11, 2009, 07:18:15 PM

Goodbye, cruel thread!

So you don't believe Nazism is a bad idea, then?

:lulz:

We need a Groucho Marx "You Bet Your Life" smiley.