News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

Advances in artificially made organisms

Started by Sir Bearington, July 24, 2012, 07:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Bearington

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18953034

It turns out that now after progresses in cloning sheep and altering cells, they have actually made a significant organism that can simulate movement, will this lead to new breakthroughs in technology and bio-engineering?

I roughly approximate at the current rate of technology being developed that in the next 20 or even 30 years we will have fully bio-engineered aquatic creatures raised from petri-dishes and simple land creatures co-developed with bio-engineered organs.

(I apologize if this has already been posted somewhere else, i am relatively new to the site, so apologies in advance.)

LMNO

{{Title text: A technology that is '20 years away' will be 20 years away indefinitely.}}

Sir Bearington

Im not a scientist working on it or anything, my estimations are innacurate and based on no factual detail at all.

What do you guys think about it?

The Good Reverend Roger

I think that in 20-30 years, our technology will consist of "fire" and "sharp rocks".

But seriously, the best way to make organisms is to breed them, not cook them up in a lab.  Sheep make better sheep than a cloning facility, for example.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 24, 2012, 08:10:45 PM
I think that in 20-30 years, our technology will consist of "fire" and "sharp rocks".

But seriously, the best way to make organisms is to breed them, not cook them up in a lab.  Sheep make better sheep than a cloning facility, for example.

This. The more you tamper, the weaker it gets, I think. Even selective breeding fucks things up some. Buffalo can handle blizzards, cows die.

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Sir Bearington

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 24, 2012, 08:22:05 PM

This. The more you tamper, the weaker it gets, I think. Even selective breeding fucks things up some. Buffalo can handle blizzards, cows die.

That's because cows selectively bred are bred to be better producers, if they really wanted to create a cow which could withstand a blizzard they could but they don't

You can make them stronger with proper management but human interest to get more produce and productive gain even at the expense of making them weaker.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Trollbear on July 24, 2012, 08:28:40 PM

That's because cows selectively bred are bred to be better producers, if they really wanted to create a cow which could withstand a blizzard they could but they don't

You can make them stronger with proper management but human interest to get more produce and productive gain even at the expense of making them weaker.

That's part of it, but another part is that a lot of natural selection gets thrown out the window when you have valuable animals.

I knew some people who had a pet coyote once. That skinny little fucker could pull harder on a leash than a dog probably twice his size.

Sir Bearington

Quote from: TEXAS FAIRIES FOR ALL YOU SPAGS on July 24, 2012, 08:59:36 PM
Quote from: Trollbear on July 24, 2012, 08:28:40 PM

That's part of it, but another part is that a lot of natural selection gets thrown out the window when you have valuable animals.

I knew some people who had a pet coyote once. That skinny little fucker could pull harder on a leash than a dog probably twice his size.

Mankind always strives to completely disarrange the whole food chain and natural order to comply with his wishes.

Be it introducing/eradicating predators and domesticating once noble creatures to servitude/food to create a self contained ecosystem which applies and benfits best to man's wishes and essentially make him feel special and superior by putting him on top.

Animals should be eating us left right and centre because essentially, humans are weak save only thier intellectual capacity.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Trollbear on July 24, 2012, 09:08:02 PM

Mankind always strives to completely disarrange the whole food chain and natural order to comply with his wishes.

Duh.  "Tool users".

Animals should be eating us left right and centre because essentially, humans are weak save only thier intellectual capacity.

Well, that and our innate viciousness, ability to throw rocks, and capacity to run all damn day until the antelope keels over from exhaustion.

We are the weaponized ape, the best hunters and fighters ever born, the only proof of which I need offer is that we have the leisure time to have this conversation.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Sir Bearington

Quote from: The Dead Reverend Roger on July 24, 2012, 09:11:43 PM

Well, that and our innate viciousness, ability to throw rocks, and capacity to run all damn day until the antelope keels over from exhaustion.

We are the weaponized ape, the best hunters and fighters ever born, the only proof of which I need offer is that we have the leisure time to have this conversation.

Look, human's arent all that special, you are disillusioned to the fact we are the best fighters and therefore the most able and best in general, a chimpazee is way stronger, vicious and can throw rocks and use simple tools aswell as co-ordination in attacking and can outrun a human. A primitive ape runs rings around "weaponized" brainy ape.

Imagine a elephant with the stature of a chimpanzee or ape, increase the population of this particular elephant species and brain capacity and eventually they would become a major threat if left un-noticed, by picking up where we left off at modern day forming thier own identity they may even overtake humans and make the same claims on how great they are.

Disadvantaged only by thier low adaptability they would overpower the human race with thier intellect, senses and brute strength.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Trollbear on July 24, 2012, 09:25:14 PM

Look, human's arent all that special, you are disillusioned to the fact we are the best fighters and therefore the most able and best in general, a chimpazee is way stronger, vicious and can throw rocks and use simple tools aswell as co-ordination in attacking and can outrun a human. A primitive ape runs rings around "weaponized" brainy ape.

Imagine a elephant with the stature of a chimpanzee or ape, increase the population of this particular elephant species and brain capacity and eventually they would become a major threat if left un-noticed, by picking up where we left off at modern day forming thier own identity they may even overtake humans and make the same claims on how great they are.

Disadvantaged only by thier low adaptability they would overpower the human race with thier intellect, senses and brute strength.

Only when the technology to make them got cheap and everybody wanted their own REAL LIVE GANESH FOR $39.95 CALL NOW.

The Dark Monk

He keeps typing "thier" and it destroys this post for me. I have to leave now.
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Trollbear on July 24, 2012, 07:55:55 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18953034

It turns out that now after progresses in cloning sheep and altering cells, they have actually made a significant organism that can simulate movement, will this lead to new breakthroughs in technology and bio-engineering?

I roughly approximate at the current rate of technology being developed that in the next 20 or even 30 years we will have fully bio-engineered aquatic creatures raised from petri-dishes and simple land creatures co-developed with bio-engineered organs.

(I apologize if this has already been posted somewhere else, i am relatively new to the site, so apologies in advance.)

Will they be delicious?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Unlike other animals, our adaptive trait is technology. When our environment changes, rather than our bodies evolving to adapt (for the most part), it's our technology that does. Nonetheless, our use of technology is an innate part of us as a species.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sir Bearington

Quote from: PROFOUNDLY RETARDED CHARLIE MANSON on July 25, 2012, 05:39:36 AM

Unlike other animals, our adaptive trait is technology. When our environment changes, rather than our bodies evolving to adapt (for the most part), it's our technology that does. Nonetheless, our use of technology is an innate part of us as a species.

Without technology we would still be dirty apes and likely extinct.