News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Doing some research for a sci-fi story

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, December 30, 2013, 03:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on January 05, 2014, 09:24:29 PM
nah, we wouldn't know shes asexual from the get go; in fact neither would she. Her discovering that about herself would be part of her arc. No need to bludgeon the reader with that right from the get go

If you are serious about writing this, my suggestion is to interview some asexual people about their own self-discovery and find out what that process was like for them.

My other suggestion is, don't write what you don't know just because it sounds "neat" unless you're willing to invest some serious research time.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Chelagoras The Boulder

hmm, I HAVE never had hate mail before...
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 31, 2013, 02:27:28 AM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 30, 2013, 11:47:22 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on December 30, 2013, 11:24:40 PM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 30, 2013, 11:18:24 PM
k, well, one of the reasons i wanna be really certain about this is that one of the points of the setting is that upon discovering that time travel is a thing, they immediately sought to capitalize on the tech in the greediest way possible using many creative variations of the whole "going back to deposit all your money in your preferred bank the day they were established and then collecting on all that interest years in the future" scam. In this world, CEOs do this all the time, with varying shades of James Bond-esque supervilliany in mind. So all of these changes results in all sorts of created alternate universes with crazy historical results. Some results in blasted landscapes of what used to be earth, some are markedly better than what would've happened in any case, and some are almost the same except for some specific details.

Problem is, the people investing would have no chance at all of getting a return.  None.

If you send energy, matter, or even information back in time, the universe can't accept it without violating conservation of energy.  That means a split HAS to occur, and the transported energy, etc, has to be in the NEW branch, not the old.  So the rich bastard sending it back just loses it.  AND something, probably something very loud and ugly and most likely LOCAL, is going to happen to account for the loss of energy in THIS universe, the same way "Ashtekar loops" tangle to retain gravity (and thus energy) when mass leaves the universe in the case of a Black hole. 

Uncle Albert takes no prisoners.  The universe will put up with any amount of fuckery, except when conservation of energy is in question.  Hell, "quantum tunneling" is the universe doing "Enron accounting" to accomodate both the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and conservation of energy.
is Quantum tunneling kind of what is going on in that comic i posted?

No, quantum tunneling only affects things we Doktors refer to as "very very small".

Remember, however, that you are made of very very small things. The possibility of them all tunneling at once, while absurdly improbable, is not entirely impossible

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 30, 2013, 08:13:48 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 30, 2013, 08:02:24 PM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 30, 2013, 07:57:51 PM
can you cite the relevant quote from the bar thread? If the idea is that time doesn't exist (which i rather like btw) what does it matter which direction i move in time, and whats keeping me from moving back to the universe i started from? if time is just an ocean of moments, what makes the point i started from any different from any of the other infinite points i could chose to jump to?

You need to work on coherence.  If time doesn't exist, it doesn't exist.

Buncha crap.  Time is the measurement of entropy.  Since shit falls apart, time must exist.

This "time not existing" concept may (but I'm not sure yet as I didn't read all the way through the original link) be a case of a smart idea being phrased in a stupid and provocative way. A three dimensional universe undergoing processes in time is theoretically equivalent to a very complex but timeless and stationary four dimensional object, just as a moving one dimensional object can be interpreted as an unmoving line and a two dimensional object can be understood as an unmoving sheet.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 30, 2013, 02:17:17 PM
Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on December 30, 2013, 06:44:20 AM
1. I'm planning on taking liberties with the "you can't go back" thing
1.  Then it's not science fiction, it's fantasy.  You can just go ahead and add the telepathic cats now.

Actually it may not be totally impossible to travel through time, just hugely wildly impractical. If I recall correctly there was some research done several years back at the University of Illinois that suggested that if you could somehow build a structure with the mass of a large star but shaped like a football it could collapse to form a [/url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_singularity]naked singularity[/url], which would allow for all sorts of screwing around with time. The same is true for if one could somehow induce a normal black hole to rotate with sufficient rapidity or accumulate a sufficient electrical charge
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on April 14, 2014, 08:33:43 PM
Remember, however, that you are made of very very small things. The possibility of them all tunneling at once, while absurdly improbable, is not entirely impossible

This is the stupidest thing I've heard all day.  I mean, there's a miniscule greater than zero chance that monkeys might fly out of my grotesque & hairy ass, but I'm not about to ask people to suspend disbelief in a science fiction story over it.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

minuspace

Prelate diog's
QuoteThis "time not existing" concept may (but I'm not sure yet as I didn't read all the way through the original link) be a case of a smart idea being phrased in a stupid and provocative way. A three dimensional universe undergoing processes in time is theoretically equivalent to a very complex but timeless and stationary four dimensional object, just as a moving one dimensional object can be interpreted as an unmoving line and a two dimensional object can be understood as an unmoving sheet

One day they will understand that spatial and temporal dimensions ARE NOT coextensive.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on April 14, 2014, 08:33:43 PM

Actually it may not be totally impossible to travel through time, just hugely wildly impractical. If I recall correctly there was some research done several years back at the University of Illinois that suggested that if you could somehow build a structure with the mass of a large star but shaped like a football it could collapse to form a [/url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_singularity]naked singularity[/url], which would allow for all sorts of screwing around with time. The same is true for if one could somehow induce a normal black hole to rotate with sufficient rapidity or accumulate a sufficient electrical charge

Doesn't matter how you get there, the results are the same, as described earier.

Chelagoras The Boulder

Actually, fun fact: part of the reason for coming up with this concept was seeing how Modern Doctor Who tries to explain their time travel rules,(ie wibbly wobbly timey wimey) flipping the table, and deciding to write a series partly as a fuck you to Moffett, and partly to explore why time travel stories need rules in the first place.

as for science fantasy, hey, if it means i can have lightsabers and 6 ft tall bear people now, that's all gravy to me brother.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on April 21, 2014, 05:35:22 PM
Actually, fun fact: part of the reason for coming up with this concept was seeing how Modern Doctor Who tries to explain their time travel rules,(ie wibbly wobbly timey wimey) flipping the table, and deciding to write a series partly as a fuck you to Moffett, and partly to explore why time travel stories need rules in the first place.

as for science fantasy, hey, if it means i can have lightsabers and 6 ft tall bear people now, that's all gravy to me brother.

You can wallow around in your science fantasy (which we Doktors call "fantasy") all you like.  But you just keep your Ewoks out of my science fiction, okay?

LMNO

But they all dance at the end!

We all dance.  At the end.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on April 21, 2014, 05:40:26 PM
But they all dance at the end!

We all dance.  At the end.

We don't wait for the end.  Or maybe it already happened.  We dance, dude.  Oh, shit yeah.  We dance on the bloody, exposed bones of what were our ankles, before we'd worn through our shoes and our feet.  We dance in The Ballroom of Blades, where every square inch of the floor has a butcher knife jammed through it from the basement...By people or things we simply prefer not to think about.

Dancing is a way of life out here in the desert.  We dance for rain.  We dance to make Whitey fuck back off to Europe.  We dance when we run out of bullets.  We dance in the execution chamber in Florence, AZ.

Even if you don't want to dance.  Even if you don't know you're dancing.  LOOK, YOU BASTARDS!  I'M DANCING!  SEE?  I'M DANCING!  TAKE ONE OF THE OTHERS!

LMNO

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 21, 2014, 05:38:10 PM

You can wallow around in your science fantasy (which we Doktors call "fantasy") all you like.  But you just keep your Ewoks out of my science fiction, okay?
Well, of course. You saw the prequels, you saw what happens when you try to explain why we have space wizards from the future-past. Midichlorians happen. Midi-goddamn-chlorians.  :argh!:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on April 21, 2014, 07:11:34 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 21, 2014, 05:38:10 PM

Well, of course. You saw the prequels, you saw what happens when you try to explain why we have space wizards from the future-past. Midichlorians happen. Midi-goddamn-chlorians.  :argh!:

This is why we don't cross the streams.

LMNO