News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

The Millstone

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, September 24, 2012, 04:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Quote from: Waffles, The Iron on September 24, 2012, 10:36:54 PM
This one actually brought a tear to my eye.

DAMN YOU ROGAR! RUINING MY MACHO MANLINESS IN A WAY ONLY MANLY MOVIES LIKE "MY GIRL" HAS DONE BEFORE!

PUNCH A GIRL! RUB A CACTUS ON YOUR CHEST! JAZZERSIZE!

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on September 24, 2012, 10:40:23 PM

DAMN YOU ROGAR! RUINING MY MACHO MANLINESS IN A WAY ONLY MANLY MOVIES LIKE "MY GIRL" HAS DONE BEFORE!

PILATES?
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Waffles, The Iron on September 24, 2012, 10:43:59 PM

PILATES?

I don't even KNOW you anymore, man.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

Quote from: Waffles, The Iron on September 24, 2012, 10:43:59 PM

PILATES?

JAZZ HANDS AND SPIRIT FINGERS AT TGE SAME TIME!

The Good Reverend Roger

Thread has been saved, Vietnam War style.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fidel Castro on September 24, 2012, 04:51:22 PM
You should have known her when I knew her.  You should have seen her with her head held high, walking through the world leaving 3" deep footprints, stomping reality until it conformed to her wishes.   But that was more than a quarter-century ago. 

Things have changed.

Now she's beaten down by life, and the stunning good looks she had have pinched into perpetual regret, bitterness, and unhappiness.  She waited for perfection, and perfection never called.  There is a great millstone on her back, she says, and she can't move.  It's a damn shame, really...If she had have realized that perfection is the enemy of the good, or even of getting anything done, she'd have been much happier and much more successful.  Because sometimes good enough really IS good enough.

But she never saw that, and she sits there in the Midwest, spitting venom on everyone who comes near her, and wondering why she never gets invited to parties.  By this point, it would take 3 sticks of dynamite to clear her head, even just enough to realize that there's no perfect world anywhere.

In the end, she was serious about everything but having a good time.

Now, I can see how this might make people sneer at her; because WE'RE all perfect, right?  We don't carry around a millstone of regret for might-have-beens or things we could have accomplished if only we'd been luckier or better or if that <insert jackass> hadn't FUCKED US OVER FOREVER.

HAR!  We all have our millstones.  We all have cringe-worthy memories.  We all have our regrets.  But the thing to remember is that nobody can make us into something we're not, if we don't allow it.  We are the architects of our own reward...That is not to say that we are responsible for everything that happens to us, but we're certainly in control of our own emotions. 

Now, this isn't always easy...There's a lot of PTSD floating around, and everyone's millstone is unique.  That doesn't mean we should take that millstone and jump in the water, right?  No, we take that millstone out to the desert and leave it there.  Let those who have harmed us dwell on these things, and let's you and I move forward, into The Future™.

Yesterday may have been awful.  But it's dead, and dead things should be buried.

That's all.

Fucking hell, yes. You take those experiences, and you recognize that they inform who you are, but they don't define who you are. They might inform who you are to the point where you make a career out of making it better for others, but you don't let them trap you, or... well, you're trapped.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Ayotollah of Ass

Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 24, 2012, 09:50:25 PM
This'll probably get me branded as a poseur pedantic fuck, but I'll just drop this link here and be on about my day off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candide

"Best of all possible worlds" and "tend your own garden", two great tastes that taste great together.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ayotollah of Assehollah on September 25, 2012, 11:25:31 AM
Quote from: Internet Jesus on September 24, 2012, 09:50:25 PM
This'll probably get me branded as a poseur pedantic fuck, but I'll just drop this link here and be on about my day off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candide

"Best of all possible worlds" and "tend your own garden", two great tastes that taste great together.

:lulz: 

Um, wait.

NOT SURE IF SRS