News:

Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

Bookgasm

Started by Aciddino, August 25, 2009, 07:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aciddino

The Bookgasm, as many of you know, is the distrubution of discordian/banned/whatever books to places like charities and libraries. i want to "donate" some books into my school library. any ideas?
i already plan on doing the Principia Discordia.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Xebra

Iron Sulfide

you do realize that simply giving those books to most of those organizations will yield naught, don't you?

at worst they'll be discarded. then you're out a (possibly) good and hard to obtain book.

there have been several ideas pitched for as much here on these boards, but since i can
(perhaps) safely assume you didn't use our search function, i'll digest a few for your sake here:

* don't donate the book. mimic the barcode and indexing system said organization uses, fabricate
  said barcode and index, slap it on the book and shelve it for them without telling anyone. This
  courtesy allows for at least one exposure of the book before it's found, and chaotic headaches
  if a body tries to "check the book out" proper.

* disguise the book. gut some unfortunate tome and your book of donation, insert your book into
  binding of the less fortune, repeat as before. this adds to the confusion, which adds to the secret
  enjoyment of having placed the book there. with this, as long as your cover page matches the cover
  of your "shell" book binding, you can still donate it and stand a much higher chance of it getting
  put on the shelf.

if you dig some here, or think on it, i'm sure you could come up with many more variations and approaches.

either technique would be splendid for 120 Days by De Sade. Or Justine (My fav of De Sade.)

as for books to donate: check out falcon press and loompanics. they both have some gems of pure absurdity and
ooze the Weird.

Prater Festwo,
Worked in a public Library for a Year.
Ya' stupid Yank.

Aciddino

Quote from: Growth Spurt on August 26, 2009, 10:19:05 PM
you do realize that simply giving those books to most of those organizations will yield naught, don't you?

at worst they'll be discarded. then you're out a (possibly) good and hard to obtain book.

there have been several ideas pitched for as much here on these boards, but since i can
(perhaps) safely assume you didn't use our search function, i'll digest a few for your sake here:

* don't donate the book. mimic the barcode and indexing system said organization uses, fabricate
  said barcode and index, slap it on the book and shelve it for them without telling anyone. This
  courtesy allows for at least one exposure of the book before it's found, and chaotic headaches
  if a body tries to "check the book out" proper.

* disguise the book. gut some unfortunate tome and your book of donation, insert your book into
  binding of the less fortune, repeat as before. this adds to the confusion, which adds to the secret
  enjoyment of having placed the book there. with this, as long as your cover page matches the cover
  of your "shell" book binding, you can still donate it and stand a much higher chance of it getting
  put on the shelf.

if you dig some here, or think on it, i'm sure you could come up with many more variations and approaches.

either technique would be splendid for 120 Days by De Sade. Or Justine (My fav of De Sade.)

as for books to donate: check out falcon press and loompanics. they both have some gems of pure absurdity and
ooze the Weird.

Prater Festwo,
Worked in a public Library for a Year.

These techinques were what i ment by "donate". most of the books i intend on donating would never be aprived by the administration of a Catholic school. i plan on finding books the same size as the ones i will donate and change out the covers. also i am pretty cool with the libraryan and could possibly obtain real barcodes so that the only way to see if the book was one of mine they would have to read the inside which they would really not do.

Iron Sulfide

cut out the middle man, and the barcode off another book.

alternately, you can write down a barcode from some other book and use any number of programs to make the actual barcode for your own copy. should scan just the same.

along the same lines, most libraries have taken to selling unwanted but donated books (which, of course, they weed many books out of as well...) if your catholic library does this, it would be interesting to do the same with those books. maybe even purchasing the book back to ensure they get weirded out.
Ya' stupid Yank.