News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

What Gets You Moving?

Started by Cuddlefish, August 03, 2010, 07:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: Cuddlefish on August 03, 2010, 08:38:37 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 03, 2010, 08:34:42 PM
Get everyone jobs that pay 100k, with benefits, with a 30 hour work week, and then you'll have more participation. 

I understand that many people are busy, however, it doesn't always take a long time to pitch an idea, or pitch in on a project. We're a collective of minds, which can greatly reduce the workload.

What kind of project would motivate you to take a few minutes to help with?

You don't understand.  I HAVE contributed to projects.  I was a BIP author, I've done a bunch of audio projects, I've written rants and essays, I've churned out a couple of pamphlets.

But I literally don't have the time to contribute anymore.  When I'm at work, I'm at work.  As soon as I get home, it's domestic-time.  It isn't a lack of motivation, it's literally a lack of time, that is, a lack of sufficient time to contribute anything of quality.  I don't want to speak for others but I suspect this and life in general is a common thread that impacts abilities to contribute. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

This is true.  I often think I'm sacrificing advancement at my job in order to post for 8 hours a day here.

Wow.  That's pretty pathetic, when you think about it.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on August 03, 2010, 08:39:18 PM
Quote from: Cuddlefish on August 03, 2010, 08:32:10 PM
Ok, but can we somehow use that to help motivate people into participating in projects.

"I will personaly have teh secks with anyone who helps me with my project"

?????

Extend that offer to include your girlfriend, and I'll consider it.

Ok, but I think we're missing the point...

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 03, 2010, 08:42:12 PM
Quote from: Cuddlefish on August 03, 2010, 08:38:37 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 03, 2010, 08:34:42 PM
Get everyone jobs that pay 100k, with benefits, with a 30 hour work week, and then you'll have more participation. 

I understand that many people are busy, however, it doesn't always take a long time to pitch an idea, or pitch in on a project. We're a collective of minds, which can greatly reduce the workload.

What kind of project would motivate you to take a few minutes to help with?

You don't understand.  I HAVE contributed to projects.  I was a BIP author, I've done a bunch of audio projects, I've written rants and essays, I've churned out a couple of pamphlets.

But I literally don't have the time to contribute anymore.  When I'm at work, I'm at work.  As soon as I get home, it's domestic-time.  It isn't a lack of motivation, it's literally a lack of time, that is, a lack of sufficient time to contribute anything of quality.  I don't want to speak for others but I suspect this and life in general is a common thread that impacts abilities to contribute. 

Ok, what makes you think I don't understand? So YOU have no time, and have done your share. This topic may not be for you, then...
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

AFK

You're right.  I just wanted to make the point that it might be more than an issue of motivation and desire to participate for some. 

I'm not here to poo-poo on trying to stoke activity, just wanted to add a little perspective is all.   
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 03, 2010, 09:08:54 PM
You're right.  I just wanted to make the point that it might be more than an issue of motivation and desire to participate for some. 

I'm not here to poo-poo on trying to stoke activity, just wanted to add a little perspective is all.   

I understand.

I just feel like, and this is not addressed directly to you, that a lot of people that I know will use a similar excuse to not do other things. HOWEVER, we all (or most of us) have time to take a few minutes and participate in a project, even if it's just some initial brainstorming.

What type of things can motivate these "micro-transactions" of participation?
That's more along the lines of what I want to discuss here.

The Wizard

QuoteWhat gets you MOVing?!

The forces of Evil.

Quotewhat DEmotivates you?

Clowns. Fucking clowns... :x
Insanity we trust.

Juana

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on August 03, 2010, 10:02:53 PM
Quotewhat DEmotivates you?

Clowns. Fucking clowns... :x
Combined with teeth.  :horrormirth:

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Wizard

Insanity we trust.

Jasper

Tim Curry rules.

Motivates me:  Urgency.  Immediacy.  High gains or high risks.  Humor value.  A sense of "why the hell not?".   Yes, sex.  Yes, money.  Also, narrative logic or forms tend to be a factor.  In A SENSE.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on August 03, 2010, 08:46:53 PM
This is true.  I often think I'm sacrificing advancement at my job in order to post for 8 hours a day here.

Wow.  That's pretty pathetic, when you think about it.

Is it really, though?

I mean, as far as I've heard from you, you got a pretty decent well-paid job, with the only downside that it can be kind of boring (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, IIRC, you posted about gaining some advancement (raise, better position or whatnot) a few months ago, right?

So, if the job is good now, and it lets you spag around on the forum all day, what benefit would you gain from further "advancement"?

If it is more money, do you need it?

Cause I bet what you really want is not more money but less hours, so you can spend more time in your studio. But you only get more money, not more free time to spend it in.

So right now, you got the middle road, not exactly free time, but free enough to chat with your friends and poke at things on forums.

I dunno, I'm just saying, work and career are not always the ultimate goals in life. Unless, see I don't know what you do, if it's like RWHN in drug counseling, I can totally see how he can have a true passion for that and wants to give it his best. As I said I don't know exactly what you do (something with insurance?) but I never really got the sense of this burning passion from you. So in that case, for me, I would want to have the least amount of hours that will get me to live comfortably, and the rest in free time. Because in the end, that's really it, it's not entirely due to you that you don't spend those 8 hours on more useful things, it's also your job that keeps you from doing truly useful things (like recording songs or writing).

It's a bit of an odd angle, but a good perspective to look at, from time to time.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

-Kel-

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on August 03, 2010, 07:43:51 PM
Sex.

What you got?

Ditto here, if sex is not avilb. ill settle on self gratification.

NotPublished

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on August 03, 2010, 10:27:21 PM

Ah, fuck no...

oh holy fuck no!

I find myself in a strange place, I mean nothing motivates me at this stage - but the thing is, I haven't run out of motivation. I'm not saying that I have a lack of motivation, its quite the opposite; I have all this motivation and I don't know where its come from.

Just overall I feel happy with my existance, but that could be youth speaking, I guess time will tell? :lol: I somehow think I will still be a 5 year old.
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Sigmatic on August 03, 2010, 10:36:20 PM
Tim Curry rules.

Motivates me:  Urgency.  Immediacy.  High gains or high risks.  Humor value.  A sense of "why the hell not?".   Yes, sex.  Yes, money.  Also, narrative logic or forms tend to be a factor.  In A SENSE.

Urgency: great for "new threats," such as swine flu, not so good for long standing issues. How can we apply the same sense of urgency to something that has been around for some time?

Immediacy: reDUndant? (see above)

High Gains: Gains in what, if not money? Or sex?

High Risks: Redundant? The higher the risk, the higher the gain?

Humor Value: I find this to be self explanitory. But what makes you laugh?

A Sense of Why The Hell Not: What enduces this sense?

Narrative Logic: Can't this be applied to just about anything?

These are just questions.