News:

PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

All I Have to Say

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, September 02, 2014, 05:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Your self-analysis interests me. I'm looking at my own brain too. All these trips to Montana have really messed with my head. What if I really AM a Big, Gay Cowboy?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 02, 2014, 11:19:39 PM
Your self-analysis interests me. I'm looking at my own brain too. All these trips to Montana have really messed with my head. What if I really AM a Big, Gay Cowboy?

What I've taken away from this is that you gotta be what you are.  I've spent 8+ years trying to be something different, in what is now clear to me to have been some weird quest for validation from people who despise me.

So I'm going to be me from now on.  I was happier that way, anyway.

The big question is "who exactly am I?"  After 8 years, you can kind of forget, so the me I am going to be now reflects my current priorities.  These priorities do not include kowtowing to people who consider me as, shall we say, less than a peer.

Instead, right now, I am fascinated by the weird science we're doing at work.  Anything that advances that, in the long or short term, is good.  Anything that hinders it is bad.  Anything that does neither is irrelevant (with the obvious exception of my wife and my friends).

Example:  Egalitarianism is good, because it increases the chance of people advancing on merit.  This means more educated people, which advances my interest.  The finer points of privilege, on the other hand, I find irrelevant.  Racism and sexism are bad, because they prevent a vast number of people from reaching their potential.  Likewise, people who will tolerate racism or sexism are bad, because they hand a nice mask to the people who actively promote these things.

Also, I can stop being so fucking friendly all the time.  It really was never part of my nature.

And that's a bit of a relief.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

An extension of that last bit is that people who feel that I have become some kind of pariah these days, or don't feel that I merit the time of day, can kiss my ass until it blisters.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Well, I still love you.  So there's that.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 02, 2014, 11:43:53 PM
Well, I still love you.  So there's that.

:lulz:

You don't have a choice.  You're Montana Jesus.

LMNO

"And lo, he spoke thus: 'Rub some dirt on it. You're fine." And it was So."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 03, 2014, 12:49:01 AM
"And lo, he spoke thus: 'Rub some dirt on it. You're fine." And it was So."

And he laid his hand upon the beefsteak, and LO!  It stood up.  And the gathered cowboys said amongst themselves, "Who is this wiseass?", and they picked up sticks and beat the cow back onto the plate.

Suu

I don't care if he
lulz or sneezes
As long as I've got my
Montana Jesus
Ridin' on the motorcycle
with HIMEOBS

Through his ROFLs
And LMNuendos
And his travels
to GAY BARS
With Montana Jesus
I'll go far...
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Suu on September 03, 2014, 01:01:30 AM
I don't care if he
lulz or sneezes
As long as I've got my
Montana Jesus
Ridin' on the motorcycle
with HIMEOBS

Through his ROFLs
And LMNuendos
And his travels
to GAY BARS
With Montana Jesus
I'll go far...

:lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

Feel free to give me a buzz whenever you need. If I don't get a chance to pick up, I'll call you back when I see it. Not sure what happened, but I'm going through a bit of who am I stuff myself.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ållnephew Tvýðleþøn on September 03, 2014, 02:59:16 AM
Feel free to give me a buzz whenever you need. If I don't get a chance to pick up, I'll call you back when I see it. Not sure what happened, but I'm going through a bit of who am I stuff myself.

It was the whole blow up in late July.

tyrannosaurus vex

the problem with being yourself is there is no such thing as self, man.
  \

actually i find this to be pretty good advice, even if it isn't handed down in some prophetic sense. being what you're supposed to be is a bad idea for two main reasons, A) it's a lot of work for nothing, and B) what you think you're supposed to be is always wrong anyway. personally i don't even have time for capitalization anymore, so where i'd get the time to be something i'm not i have no idea.

i dig the idea of not needing to be nice to dickbags, though. just telling it how it is, is a lot more satisfying than making it seem to be like how you tell it.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I don't know man, I think I missed whatever happened due to life bullshit.

I think you're awesome, Roger, and I admire you. I know you have this thing about relating on a peer level, but I don't think I'm your peer. I lack a good decade in life experience, and I don't think I hold a candle to your writing talent. But I do count you as a friend and a major source of inspiration in my life.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Junkenstein

Quote from: Hoopla on September 02, 2014, 08:36:40 PM
Your moral stand certainly did not cost you my friendship. 

That.

For what it's worth, I'm still plotting your demise with as much vigour as before. So you've got that to look forward to at least.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Well, if it counts for anything I'm not angry or disappointed or think less of you or anything, in relation to July's disagreement.  It's a disagreement, nothing more.  I disagree with practically everyone about everything, if I made things like that personal on top of them, I'd never have anyone to talk to.

I mean, I have no-one offline to talk to anyway, but that's more a function of living in the middle of fucking nowhere around people who look at me funny because I can string a sentence together without going "oo-aaar" and don't drink cider.  Because cider's a repulsive drink, and come the revolution all cider drinkers will be put up against a wall.