News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Advances in artificially made organisms

Started by Sir Bearington, July 24, 2012, 07:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Bearington

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on July 25, 2012, 08:51:46 PM
Quote from: Sir Bearington on July 25, 2012, 08:50:06 PM
Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on July 25, 2012, 08:42:39 PM
Sorry to disrupt the thread drift (which is infinitely more interesting, guns are awesome), but I really am curious what his what-if scenario has to do with anything.  I mean, what's the point of saying "Humans aren't so great, because what if we didn't have that thing that made us great?"

Well if we weren't here, something else would take our place.

And?  You posited that humans aren't great, special, or particularly dangerous.  Defend your claim.

Give chimpanzee's increased intelligence and guns.

With that done they are automatically the superior animal despite the fact that biologically in pure nature's terms weaker.

Freeky

Quote from: Sir Bearington on July 25, 2012, 08:55:30 PM
Sorry to disrupt the thread drift (which is infinitely more interesting, guns are awesome), but I really am curious what his what-if scenario has to do with anything.  I mean, what's the point of saying "Humans aren't so great, because what if we didn't have that thing that made us great?"

And?  You posited that humans aren't great, special, or particularly dangerous.  Defend your claim.

With that done they are automatically the superior animal despite the fact that biologically in pure nature's terms weaker.

But, in point of fact, they don't have superior intelligence.  Humans do.  Don't talk to me about what ifs and suppositions when your assertion isn't an if-then, tell me why chimpanzees are so much better than humans as reality is right now.

Nephew Twiddleton

I think the problem is we cant actually know if something would take our place. We have several unique mutations in a winning combination. We won the lottery. I suspect part of the reason we havent gotten any stray alien signals is because we are the superior species in this part of the *galaxy.* theres no guarantee if the neanderthals survived they would even have advanced past stone axes.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Sir Bearington

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on July 25, 2012, 08:59:10 PM

But, in point of fact, they don't have superior intelligence.  Humans do.  Don't talk to me about what ifs and suppositions when your assertion isn't an if-then, tell me why chimpanzees are so much better than humans as reality is right now.

They are not, but if you did give the chimpanzee's superior intelligence they would be more superior to humans

Nephew Twiddleton

I mean if we went extinct right now whales would be the most advanced and they cant light a fire or manipulate objects.

Sir Bearington

Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on July 25, 2012, 09:05:08 PM
I think the problem is we cant actually know if something would take our place. We have several unique mutations in a winning combination. We won the lottery. I suspect part of the reason we havent gotten any stray alien signals is because we are the superior species in this part of the *galaxy.* theres no guarantee if the neanderthals survived they would even have advanced past stone axes.

Infact it may be a statement in saying that because humans are weak, we needed to advance and survive.

Neanderthals wouldn't probably get further than stone age technology because they are already perfectly adapted to live in their environment and handle everything in their way.

Nephew Twiddleton

If you gave chimps superior intelligence they still wouldnt have fine motor skills like we have. And then theres that energy efficiency thing again.

Freeky

Quote from: Sir Bearington on July 25, 2012, 09:05:36 PM
Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on July 25, 2012, 08:59:10 PM

They are not, but if you did give the chimpanzee's superior intelligence they would be more superior to humans

Then why are humans not so special in general, reality being as it is right now?  How are our numerous adaptations, which have been mentioned in this thread, not such a big deal?  Is this just pseudo-intellectual wankery, as LMNO suggested?  Are you high?

Nephew Twiddleton

The fact that we are able to split the atom shortly after we evolved means that we are perfectly adapted. Not because were weak. Were strong just on endurance alone. Like i said our main weakness is poor sense of smell which we apparently dont need that much.

Sir Bearington

Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on July 25, 2012, 09:06:52 PM
I mean if we went extinct right now whales would be the most advanced and they cant light a fire or manipulate objects.

Time is not a problem for evolution and ingenuity.

Even without any of these aspects they may still demonstrate art, language, music and literature as well as social structures as well as prejudice, hatred and other negative aspects.

Naturally they would find a way to utilize their brainpower to progress, and if they cannot wait to go and do it themselves they wait for evolution to take its course.

Freeky

I mean, seriously, you can't just give a species of animal intelligence.  You can't just give them fine motor skills, an inventive frame of mind that is species inherent, or a language center of the brain.  These are things that are extremely rare in the animal kingdom.  We killed off the other species that may have had it. 

So how are humans not special?

Nephew Twiddleton

I think the problem here is that you arent realizing how random mutations are. When i said we won the lottery that wasnt just a metaphor.

Sir Bearington

Quote from: The Freeky of SCIENCE! on July 25, 2012, 09:14:41 PM
I mean, seriously, you can't just give a species of animal intelligence.  You can't just give them fine motor skills, an inventive frame of mind that is species inherent, or a language center of the brain.  These are things that are extremely rare in the animal kingdom.  We killed off the other species that may have had it. 

So how are humans not special?

Outside our minds we are weak

And to help defeat you "you can't just do that" attitude lets just assume i have god like powers and i can give them that kind of intellect.

Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on July 25, 2012, 09:17:33 PM
I think the problem here is that you arent realizing how random mutations are. When i said we won the lottery that wasnt just a metaphor.

Its a miracle we are not even fully covered in hair.

Of course i know that it was a pure lottery.

Nephew Twiddleton

Endurance. We outlast everything else. We can chase prey for days.

Sir Bearington

Quote from: Bruce Twiddleton on July 25, 2012, 09:20:42 PM
Endurance. We outlast everything else. We can chase prey for days.

African wild dogs can eat a wildebeest while its still running.

Endurance is nothing special.