News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Duh Rugs

Started by Tor Hershman, August 03, 2014, 02:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on August 27, 2014, 08:46:20 PM
Quote from: Cain on August 27, 2014, 07:52:13 PM
No evidence of thinking about the children ITT

You're right of course. I'm disgusted at myself. What say we imprison them all, pre-emtively. To protect them from the inevitable gateway to meth?

It's the only right way  to protect our assets™.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I mildly wish I was privy to a "preventionist" forum so I could see what shrill denial screeching is happening about this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

My bet is that they wouldn't even be aware these stories existed.

axod

Because all their assets are bad, bad, bad, and bad.
just this

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2014, 08:57:22 AM
My bet is that they wouldn't even be aware these stories existed.

That's a depressing thought. Their bubble excludes facts that run counter to their agenda.

And now that you say it, that's almost certainly the case.

Cain

Its like that NYT article I posted on FB...academic and disciplinary/work field bubbles are even more likely than social networking and political ones.

I mean, at least sizeable amounts of both Republicans and Democrats disagree with the Drug War.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 29, 2014, 07:52:25 PM
Its like that NYT article I posted on FB...academic and disciplinary/work field bubbles are even more likely than social networking and political ones.

I mean, at least sizeable amounts of both Republicans and Democrats disagree with the Drug War.

I've definitely noticed the academic bubbles... behavioral economists totally recreating research that was done by psychologists in the 50's and 60's, and calling it "groundbreaking".

Telarus

A clean, open-and-shut Rastafarian Jury Nullification?

Why yes, yes it is. The peanut gallery may continue to wail and nash their teeth, if it really makes them feel better.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/17/doug-darrell-marijuana-jury-nullification_n_1890824.html
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Telarus on September 09, 2014, 07:43:50 PM
A clean, open-and-shut Rastafarian Jury Nullification?

Why yes, yes it is. The peanut gallery may continue to wail and nash their teeth, if it really makes them feel better.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/17/doug-darrell-marijuana-jury-nullification_n_1890824.html

Amazing.  Actual justice.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

It seems worth noting that that tale is 2 years old. A couple of quick searches and I can't find any updates but I've not heard about this Jury nullification law either. I'm guessing that got beaten to shit in the past couple of years.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Hmm.

Who's ready for some laughs?

QuoteThat's what bailed out 59-year-old Doug Darrell. Darrell is a piano-tuner and harp manufacturer from a rural New Hampshire hamlet. Darrell's turn in the criminal justice system began unluckily: A National Guard helicopter flying over his house in 2009 spotted some pot plants in his backyard, leading to his arrest and prosecution on felony marijuana charges.

But then things swung his way. First, he had a member of the Free State Project on his jury. Members of the FSP want to start a new libertarian society in the Granite State, and this particular Free Stater actively lobbied her fellow jurors to vote to acquit.

QuoteSecond, the judge in this case instructed jurors prior to deliberations that they had the tool of jury nullification at their disposal. This is very significant. Usually, a judge tells jurors that in fact nullification is not in their power. "Judges in most states, including California, tell juries they have no power to disregard the law," the Chronicle's Bob Egelko reported earlier this summer.

They have a "third", but I suspect that a picture is a lot more telling:

http://www.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2012/09/21/jury-nullification-does-work-if-youre-a-white-rastafarian

Crazy woman on the jury, crazy judge and it saves a white guy. I can't help wonder how much these people would have helped the chap if his ethnic background was different.

So it's certainly American Justice, no doubt about that.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Telarus

Oh definitely :P. But, note that it's been tried before by white Rastafarians. They mention California, so that would be Eddy Lepp's case... the Feds really didn't like Eddy. Eddy cited scripture (Rasta) which instructed him to grow it, but to also offer at least 1/3 of his land for others to grow on. So.. 32,000 plants wasn't something the Feds could look past.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Jury nullification isn't really a law so much as a natural feature of the jury system. The main question is whether the judge or attorneys can instruct the jury about it.

It's kind of a dumb question though, since telling the jury that they don't have that power is...lying, and telling them they do have the power is self-evident, but prejudicial.

The history of jury nullification isn't all rainbows and roses, though. Think juries in the 50's in Bumblefuck, Mississippi deciding the case of a white man accused of burning a black church, for instance.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

axod

just this

scaredchao

Quote from: Cain on August 22, 2014, 08:56:58 AM
But how can this be?  RWHN assured me, quoting a very impressive study from two RAND Corporation experts that legalising marijuana in the USA would have no impact on the Mexican cartels?

Oh, it is having an impact.  3 to be specific. 

1. Some are adjusting and switching to heroin.  Heroin being grown by Mexican farmers who were growing marijuana.  All of this cheap heroin flooding the streets in the US?  Yep, you can trace it, in part, back to marijuana legalization. 

2.  The above said, the cartels still have plenty of business in Colorado, they are simply undercutting the taxed price and still doing quite well for themselves.

3.  Their main competition now is Colorado itself, which has essentially become the marijuana black market for the rest of the country.  A lot of Colorado weed is flowing from the border to 40 of the 50 states.  So Colorado has become for weed, what Florida is for the illegal pill trade.

4.  Hi guys! 

5.  Bye guys!