News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Top 10 things millenials hate about OB that we didn't know last week!

Started by Doktor Howl, April 23, 2015, 04:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 24, 2015, 03:26:40 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 23, 2015, 04:36:56 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 23, 2015, 04:02:43 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 22, 2015, 04:54:22 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 22, 2015, 05:51:04 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 21, 2015, 03:40:37 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 21, 2015, 05:41:03 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 21, 2015, 05:36:34 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 21, 2015, 02:38:13 AM
I have really become a cranky bastard over the last few weeks.

EMBRACE IT. IT IS YOUR DESTINY.

Yeah, I hate not having a job.  Even though there's still money.

Anyway, Matt Kilb and Joseph came along and demanded my bad day, on the FB discordian thingie.  So I feel slightly better.

Mine was only to be the fucking idiot I am. I've felt like shit since. This is because I was shitty. I'm sorry and now realize you have every right to be mad and to block me. I got angry and stupidly afraid of yet another pointless fight cropping up. I should have simply contacted you with what I was thinking. Instead I shit posted thoughtlessly. I'm not going to go on about it, but I've tried to analyze why I behaved as I did. The butthurt is mine. I regret it and the thing is there's no undoing it. I'll have to live with it.

Sadly I don't think my boyfriend is going to be too keen on posting in your group anymore.

It's too bad, he was going to post the step-by-step development of his plum beer recipe with photos.

But it did at least reinforce that Discordian groups on Facebook aren't for either of us, albeit for different reasons.

Well I apologize. I thought his parody was some form of attempt to subtly resurrect that meme, which I learned to HATE in 2014. There have been various attempts at shitstarting by the Discofuks. One recent example was a possible sock that slipped the filter. Argument: "I don't have any problem with saying N" because he was just a super awesome artistic genius and was into hip-hop. He quickly came to my attention and kept trying to edge around the rules of discourse to be a dick. I ultimately banned him and deleted his shitty trollthread. Part of me saw the same posting pattern, but I was unsure and really DID want a recipe as , uh, proof..yeah. Howl clued me in. Please give him my sincere regards and sorry. That really was funny and emulated well enough to make me VERY UNSURE without other info.

On another note Nigel I understand if you're not into the group, especially if I offended you & your boyfriend, but I partly came to ask if you're willing to admin and so am asking anyway. We had one step down and his replacement qualifier was to find a female, of which we have none. If you're understandably not interested we'll ask the group for volunteers and select that way. I nominated you and so was sent to ask. We need the Science Nigel. Need it!

Gotta get to work, check back later!

I will happily accept your invite to admin, because it will totally freak out a number of people.

However, I should give you the heads-up that I will completely disappear for periods of time up to a month long due to issues like being in the rainforest, or Finals. If that is incompatible with your admin needs, probably another person would be a better choice.

Far as I'm concerned our current admin needs are plurality, smarts, and occasional induction of extra stress hormones into primate brains post-utero.

Take however long off whenever. Just knowing that YOU'LL BE BACK should strike appropriate terror. A little warning could be good for the rest of us, but there's no code of conduct in the "oligarchy". Also I'm the last of the original 3 for now. The idea was to keep it to 5 persons and see where it went. I'm only even on speaking terms with one other. Don't really know the rest. Thanks for accepting!

2015 will be SO much better now I think. 
:lulz:

DS 2015 is now my preferential dumping ground for posts that don't really seem to belong anywhere else. :)

WHOOHOO! That's all it really is. A dumping ground for neat stuff and a "get to know about Discordia" outlet. Writing up a bit of unpaid shill work for a long time alternative thought outlet I've followed for years on FB called the Arcane Front. One guy with a laptop and a head full of dreams, I dig it! He joined up after I offered to shill instead of donate my limited cash for his efforts.

I figure as the pile of stuff grows and more folks join the potential to reach out and infuse fresh ideas will be very healthy. Just got to be consistent about the monitoring for my only three real "sins". No direct threats or repeated indirect threats once warned, no slurs or hatespeech, no FB poilcy violations nudity especially.  Very quietly I shall also hold "no disco" sacred, but if someone acts like an idiot I'll just laugh along with everyone else and clean up any spam if necessary.

Yesterday, 23 July 2015 was a fine milestone passing indeed. The 2015 vintage will hopefully prove most memorable.
Thanks to all!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

So, this most recent shooting in Lafayette.

The article I wrote for Rebel News on Dylann Roof hasn't been published yet, but when it is...well, I can't say I didn't call it.  I was speaking with one of the editors about it, and the recent shooting basically reconfirms the entire point I had been making.  The latest shooter shows sympathy with the Golden Dawn and David Duke, thinks the USA is being ruined by a conspiracy of Jews and Blacks and was radicalized online.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on July 24, 2015, 10:53:59 PM

The article I wrote for Rebel News on Dylann Roof hasn't been published yet, but when it is...well, I can't say I didn't call it.  I was speaking with one of the editors about it, and the recent shooting basically reconfirms the entire point I had been making.  The latest shooter shows sympathy with the Golden Dawn and David Duke, thinks the USA is being ruined by a conspiracy of Jews and Blacks and was radicalized online.

This basic "story" arc has been almost too consistent. I sometimes wonder about thresholds of indoctrination and the effects of information exposure on the mind. I suspect that it may be possible to "prep" a mind for violent intent on purpose. Just fill an already hurting mind with NEW reasons for the hurt, new things to blame, then new PEOPLE to blame. Once so deceived the mind snaps into a new state where it MUST all be true.

The phenomenon is horrifically real. My only major question is on whether it's an intentional processing or if the information its self is somehow toxic. I would prefer to think the former, because the latter might imply that "freedom of speech" might be something akin to not wearing PPE.

I know it's oversimplifying, but we're SO far beyond coincidence here and I struggle to grasp the root of the emergent pattern. Can thought be inherently toxic, or is it a matter of intentional "weaponization" of some sort? Is it perhaps neither and an unknown variable remains I have not seen?

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

minuspace

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 25, 2015, 03:34:40 AM

This basic "story" arc has been almost too consistent. I sometimes wonder about thresholds of indoctrination and the effects of information exposure on the mind. I suspect that it may be possible to "prep" a mind for violent intent on purpose. Just fill an already hurting mind with NEW reasons for the hurt, new things to blame, then new PEOPLE to blame. Once so deceived the mind snaps into a new state where it MUST all be true.

The phenomenon is horrifically real. My only major question is on whether it's an intentional processing or if the information its self is somehow toxic. I would prefer to think the former, because the latter might imply that "freedom of speech" might be something akin to not wearing PPE.

I know it's oversimplifying, but we're SO far beyond coincidence here and I struggle to grasp the root of the emergent pattern. Can thought be inherently toxic, or is it a matter of intentional "weaponization" of some sort? Is it perhaps neither and an unknown variable remains I have not seen?
I don't get any news in the box, so I can't comment w.r.t. specific event in question, however, I think the answer is yes and yes.  The unseen variable is the subject, directed against itself by intentionally repeated/retransmitted toxic thought patterns.  Tension builds as subject looks for escape, with a way to the latter provided by the Internet.  I would not be surprised if d/loading the Anarchist's Cookbook automatically signals more toxic traffic to be directed toward radicalizing recipient in question.

But I prefer not to focus on such things :horrormirth:

Cain

Basically, it comes down to this: the far-right tried hierarchical, top-down conspiracies and terrorism (see: The Silent Brotherhood) and it failed.   FBI infiltrated, smashed the thing apart.  So since the late 1980s they've advocated a strategy of "leaderless resistance" or "lone wolf terrorism", whereby the leaders of the far-right propagandize and promote these acts, provide all the information and encouragement a budding terrorist would need...then stand back when events predictably occur and go "not us, guv.  Freedom of speech."

If they were Muslims, they'd be labelled preachers of hate, stripped of their citizenship and then shipped to some third world hellhole for a sustained amount of waterboarding.  But instead the media and law enforcement more generally buy into the "lone wolf" propaganda, that they went off on their own, and are probably crazy anyway (lots of lone wolves do have mental issues.  Both Muslim and non-Muslim.  But only one gets theirs publicized in the press).  And so it keeps on happening.  Again and again and again.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on July 25, 2015, 07:34:48 AM

Basically, it comes down to this: the far-right tried hierarchical, top-down conspiracies and terrorism (see: The Silent Brotherhood) and it failed.   FBI infiltrated, smashed the thing apart.  So since the late 1980s they've advocated a strategy of "leaderless resistance" or "lone wolf terrorism", whereby the leaders of the far-right propagandize and promote these acts, provide all the information and encouragement a budding terrorist would need...then stand back when events predictably occur and go "not us, guv.  Freedom of speech."

If they were Muslims, they'd be labelled preachers of hate, stripped of their citizenship and then shipped to some third world hellhole for a sustained amount of waterboarding.  But instead the media and law enforcement more generally buy into the "lone wolf" propaganda, that they went off on their own, and are probably crazy anyway (lots of lone wolves do have mental issues.  Both Muslim and non-Muslim.  But only one gets theirs publicized in the press).  And so it keeps on happening.  Again and again and again.

The Silent Brotherhood rings a very old bell for me, but specific info is 404. I'll try to refresh. I suspect there is a cult that has very quietly set to reinforcement of the underlying mystic shit that has fueled this "racial purity" concept since well.. before the Nazis & even Thule Society. Some nutter I'd rather not name on the front side of the google wall.

It is not lost on me that the hate group Golden Dawn took the name of the hermetic order, but I have not researched why. Some things are no longer on my menu, but I might have to see about finding a comp I can safely dig from.

Thanks Cain. If you have a chance and I may ask a favor please pm me some relevant links to the threads that may be here. Others if you wish, but hash them plz and I'll get to when I can cobble together a disposable machine.

Something instinctual tells me this is going to get much worse before long.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

minuspace

I was just about to complain about my personal life: Why is it that every time I'm asked for "permission to speak freely", someone manages to really piss me off?  It's strangely dissociative, like watching an infantile version of myself reacting automatically in a way that I would otherwise moderate.

Then I read the last two posts above this re: "not us, guv.  Freedom of Speech"

Then I :facepalm:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm really looking forward to reading that article, Cain
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Gone with the Sin on July 25, 2015, 05:28:54 AM
This is proof people with Apple Iphones are pieces of fucking shit and deserve to be fed to wolves.

Yeah. I'm sure random psychos never have Androids.

-Piece of fucking shit who (along with Little Orange) deserves to be fed to wolves
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So, I'm almost done with this online psych class that I'm basically only taking to be done with my degree. I should have taken social psych, I hate this class for all the same reasons that I hated anthropology.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 26, 2015, 12:40:41 AM
So, I'm almost done with this online psych class that I'm basically only taking to be done with my degree. I should have taken social psych, I hate this class for all the same reasons that I hated anthropology.

Is it less infuriating doing the class online?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 26, 2015, 12:49:00 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 26, 2015, 12:40:41 AM

Is it less infuriating doing the class online?

I actually think this particular class would be a lot more fun if taken in person. It's the kind of class that would generate a lot of conversation in the classroom.

minuspace

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on July 26, 2015, 12:35:12 AM

Me too - would not be opposed to knowing when to look for it.

Cain

Quote from: LuciferX on July 26, 2015, 08:54:42 PM

Thanks, both of you.  Theu should be available whenever Rebel News actually launches....which should be soon.  Ish.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Cain on July 26, 2015, 10:08:44 PM
Quote from: LuciferX on July 26, 2015, 08:54:42 PM

Thanks, both of you.  Theu should be available whenever Rebel News actually launches....which should be soon.  Ish.

Thirded!
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A