News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

The Time Traveller's Almanac

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, September 14, 2014, 02:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

<redacted>

<redacted>

<redacted>

<redacted>

<redacted>

<redacted>

<redacted>

(Editor's note:  I fucking hate you guys.)
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Q. G. Pennyworth

I JUST FINISHED WATCHING PRIMER LITERALLY FIVE MINUTES BEFORE THIS WAS POSTED HALP.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on September 14, 2014, 03:00:53 AM
I JUST FINISHED WATCHING PRIMER LITERALLY FIVE MINUTES BEFORE THIS WAS POSTED HALP.

What's Primer?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Raz Tech

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 14, 2014, 03:06:58 AM

What's Primer?

Probably the best movie involving time travel that there is, at least in my opinion.  Highly recommend checking it out.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Raz Tech on September 14, 2014, 03:29:57 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on September 14, 2014, 03:06:58 AM

What's Primer?

Probably the best movie involving time travel that there is, at least in my opinion.  Highly recommend checking it out.

Will do.  Or did.  One or the other.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Eater of Clowns

Section VII:  Do as the Romans Do

If one delves deeply enough into the Scripts the traveler will find volumes and more written upon the subject of cultural relativism in time travel. I would cite them as any responsible author should but for the simple fact that it would seem oddly self serving. I wrote them. I wrote most of them, at least, in my more naïve and verbose days, and so am comfortable in saying that they, and many of what came before them, are complete tosh. The responsible and interested traveler will nonetheless binge through the archives, I am sure, and this author urges them to be kind and to view them in the light reflected in this Almanac.

The truth about cultural relativism is not that a time is barbaric, or that a culture is barbaric. The truth is that humanity is barbaric. The issue of encountering a practice in travelling that is by any means of the word offensive is not one of if but of when. For the luckiest of our Walkers, and here please reserve judgment on use of that superstitious term until the later chapter entailing it, that first instance of indecency, of callousness, of villainous undertaking will be within the first year. For the average, it will be in less than a dozen visits.

It is upon first exposure to such acts that the harshness of our order's standards are understood. Prior to the Purge, we were encouraged even to participate in such atrocities so as not arouse suspicion, to act as impartial obervers if our own moralities prevented us from direct involvement. Before long even the greatest of our kind were laid low. Against the common bigotry, the casual violence, in the face of plutocracy and totalitarianism many of our brethren in all of our modern sensitivities were warped. Made hard and cold, tempered not to the strength of will we so value but beyond that to brittleness.

When the mob is gathered and the barrage is ready to begin, remember that he who is without sin should cast the first stone, and then do so. The Walker is without sin. Let the stone fly not with viciousness and hatred but with righteousness, and let it fly at the mob.

The aftermath of this act transitions nicely into the next section of our guide.

Section VIII:  On Ever Readying your Exit
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

LMNO

Holy shit.

That was incredible.

I'm rather upset I don't seem to be able to write like that anymore.