News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

Illuminatus Trilogy

Started by Churro the Viscous, April 06, 2008, 10:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

Triple Zero

Quote from: st.verbatim on April 07, 2008, 05:10:33 PMI haven't read QP but I noticed that effect with signs etc. I've experienced it often, especially with eavesdropping. I have this habit of trying yo recognize what languages people I overhear are speaking. When I'm looking for Hebrew I can catch Hebrew words in almost any language, though they aren't there. (Depending how badly I can eavesdrop at that moment.)
I also noticed I can read English and Hebrew backwards, sideways or in a mirror, with almost no effort, but when I try and read a language I'm not perfectly fluent in I have a hard time picking out letters and words...

danish always sounds like dutch that you just can't make out from a couple of meters distance
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Verbal Mike

Wait, huh? It always sound like German I just can't make up, to me! Even when I'm right next to the Danes! lol
Unless stated otherwise, feel free to copy or reproduce any text I post anywhere and any way you like. I will never throw a hissy-fit over it, promise.

Triple Zero

there's Covenant, this danish industrial/cybergoth band, in their song "Humility", that i'm pretty damn sure took a sample from some dutch talkshow in the background of the intro .. i just can't quite make out the words .. :)
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

e

Quote from: triple zero on April 07, 2008, 11:45:52 PM
there's Covenant, this danish industrial/cybergoth band...

This is interesting, because the baned named Covenant I know is Swedish and does EBM.  Perhaps "interesting" is the wrong word.

Also on a note here, I can never tell the difference between Korean and Japanese.  Admittedly, I'm not a native speaker, but they sound so similar.  I was beside two Japanese people on a plane and I swear I thought they were speaking Korean, because it sounded like no Japanese I've ever heard.  They were Japanese though, because she was reading a Japanese book. 

Nast

Quote from: TheStripèdOne on April 08, 2008, 02:16:20 AM

This is interesting, because the baned named Covenant I know is Swedish and does EBM.  Perhaps "interesting" is the wrong word.

Also on a note here, I can never tell the difference between Korean and Japanese.  Admittedly, I'm not a native speaker, but they sound so similar.  I was beside two Japanese people on a plane and I swear I thought they were speaking Korean, because it sounded like no Japanese I've ever heard.  They were Japanese though, because she was reading a Japanese book. 

Perhaps they were Okinawan? Or perhaps from Hokkaido? I've heard that their are a lot of dialects in Japan that differ from the "standard" Kanto/Kansai dialect. 
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Nast

Quote from: daruko on April 08, 2008, 05:48:12 AM
I love japanese.  ANd no it's not my goddamned fucking anime geek impulse, or whatever the fuck you want to sucking call it-aRGHHDHSHSHHS  SHH shh shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............   you know what I was thinking of?  DO YA?!  O_o   I made the first eye big and not the second.  Why?   No not why that.  WHy is it so hard for you to understand the beauty, and the... the

:cheers:
                                                                                                            ! "  TRADITION " !
of the japanese people?   Get the fuck going here man, cuz j00 (ALSO spelled jew) r missn 0U+ 0n +h3 r3@L   ©uL+uR3 $h0©k m@n..... Didn't I say it would be big?                                                                                                                                                                                                         translation:   I enjoy much about japanese culture.  Perhaps they will be the first fuckers to fuck reality up for real?  You know?  Minds converge real time with perceptions and reality like a mad dog in a punch bowl

VIRTUAL REALITY

Ouch.  Sorry about the fonts.           :vom:                 

You think you're cute,

but you're not
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

Quote from: TheStripèdOne on April 08, 2008, 02:16:20 AM

yeah, my mistake. thought they were danish.

e

Quote from: Pope Naughty Nasturtiums
Perhaps they were Okinawan? Or perhaps from Hokkaido? I've heard that their are a lot of dialects in Japan that differ from the "standard" Kanto/Kansai dialect. 

Yeah, Japanese dialects are pretty out there.  Though I don't think kansai-ben is exactly the standard.  If you speak Kansai you're normally labeled as a country bumpkin.

Even outside of geography, the way people speak in Japan is usually far different than textbook Japanese.  This is mostly because colloquial Japanese involves dropping pretty much as many words as you can get away with and changing the vowels on the rest.  I'm convinced they do it just to fuck with the devil-foreigners.

In regards to the commonly-found "zomg japanese is liek teh most awesom thing evar" feeling, parodied (I hope) earlier in this thread, my only response is that Japanese culture/tradition is pretty much fucked.  Many Japanese people could certainly do with a little bar-changing.

Daruko

they do make a lot of crazy shows/movies though.. stuff i don't think you'd see from anywhere else.     See:   Takashi Miike http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0586281/

e

Takashi Miike is awesome.  When I took a course on japanese film in university, the professor showed us about half of his movies.  Good stuff.

I had him confused with elseone.  His stuff is crazy but still pretty amusing.  Definitely lends weight to the "Japan is fucked" argument, though :P

Nast

Quote from: TheStripèdOne on April 08, 2008, 05:44:57 PM
Quote from: Pope Naughty Nasturtiums

Yeah, Japanese dialects are pretty out there.  Though I don't think kansai-ben is exactly the standard.  If you speak Kansai you're normally labeled as a country bumpkin.

Ah, I see now. For some reason I was under the impression that people from Kansai (Kyoto and Kobe) spoke mostly close to standard, and that only Osaka had the accent. But now I learned that all three of those cities have different manners of speech, as well as the surrounding countryside.
Interesting...

lolwut666

Quote from: Churro the Viscous on April 06, 2008, 10:33:34 PM
I read half of the first chapter, and I'm really not feeling like it's worth while.
So, I'd like to know from some fellow Discordians:
Is the Illuminatus Trilogy worth it?
Should I continue reading it?
Or is it just some irrelevant novel?

check out the appendices
Oh hi! I upgraded ur RAM!

hooplala

Quote from: lolwut666 on April 24, 2008, 01:35:09 PM
Quote from: Churro the Viscous on April 06, 2008, 10:33:34 PM
I read half of the first chapter, and I'm really not feeling like it's worth while.
So, I'd like to know from some fellow Discordians:
Is the Illuminatus Trilogy worth it?
Should I continue reading it?
Or is it just some irrelevant novel?

check out the appendices

I skipped the appendices the first time I read it, and now they are probably my favourite parts.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman