News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

MAKE MONEY TELLING STUPID PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR, SRSLY.

Started by Lies, February 06, 2010, 04:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

I had been wanting for a book on cold reading. THANKS LYS! Much appreciated!

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: FP on February 06, 2010, 05:16:27 AM
Quote from: Lysergic on February 06, 2010, 04:56:11 AM
I'm not *part of the problem*, I'm profiting *from* the problem.
The problem is, there are stupid people out there with too much money and not enough sense.
You're not curing people of their superstitious delusions, you're encouraging them.  In both cases, your influence radiates outward to everybody else they communicate with - you're simply choosing and justifying an influence which causes more harm than good, but generates a nice personal profit.

It's not really meant as a criticism - overall I think the difference made by another "psychic" earning a living is tiny - but I don't think you can truthfully say that you wouldn't be a part of the problem.  Am I being too pedantic?

If you wanna fight a system, take it down from the inside, they say.
Do you really believe that?

no, you're just being a twat. The world isn't going to run out of superstitious idiots anytime soon, and some streetcorner psychic is not going to convince a superstitious idiot that he his, in fact, a superstitious idiot. All that will accomplish is to drive the idiot in teh direction of anyone who will reinforce his idiocy. That Lys chooses to make a little loot and have a little fun at the expense of superstitious idiots is nothing but laudable.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: FP on February 06, 2010, 04:30:51 AM
Quote from: Lysergic on February 06, 2010, 04:01:47 AM
I thought I'd share these with you guys as I've been practicing a lot of cold reading these days and have been thinking about turning it into a bit of "business" since so many people will easily believe this crap AND will HAPPILY pay for such services.
Thanks for the links - disseminating info is awesome.  Being part of the problem by making people buy into bullshit, literally - not so awesome.

"It is morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money."
- Canada Bill Jones.

FP, we don't owe the humans shit, except maybe a good fleecing. 
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

You're not curing people of their superstitious delusions, you're encouraging them.  In both cases, your influence radiates outward to everybody else they communicate with - you're simply choosing and justifying an influence which causes more harm than good, but generates a nice personal profit.

I fail to see a problem, here. 
Molon Lube

LMNO

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 09, 2010, 04:30:35 PM
Quote from: LMNO on February 09, 2010, 04:27:00 PM
Cue the Parable of the Golden Bull.

We need Enrico back.  This is HIS decade.

We must prepare the sacrificial virgins, and a way to airlift him off the floating pile of garbage out in the Pacific that he calls "home" these days.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on February 09, 2010, 04:20:45 PM
The problem is, there are stupid people out there with too much money and not enough sense.

It's not really meant as a criticism - overall I think the difference made by another "psychic" earning a living is tiny - but I don't think you can truthfully say that you wouldn't be a part of the problem.  Am I being too pedantic?

no, you're just being a twat. The world isn't going to run out of superstitious idiots anytime soon, and some streetcorner psychic is not going to convince a superstitious idiot that he his, in fact, a superstitious idiot. All that will accomplish is to drive the idiot in teh direction of anyone who will reinforce his idiocy. That Lys chooses to make a little loot and have a little fun at the expense of superstitious idiots is nothing but laudable.

Superstitious idiots are a problem, why is it objectionable to point out small but incremental contributions to that problem?  I didn't think I was going overboard, sorry Lys, if it came across as an attack.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 09, 2010, 04:22:34 PM
I thought I'd share these with you guys as I've been practicing a lot of cold reading these days and have been thinking about turning it into a bit of "business" since so many people will easily believe this crap AND will HAPPILY pay for such services.
Thanks for the links - disseminating info is awesome.  Being part of the problem by making people buy into bullshit, literally - not so awesome.

- Canada Bill Jones.

This wasn't about doing anyone other than myself any favours, rather that I would personally like to live on a planet with fewer superstitious idiots.  I think that would be just swell.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: FP on February 09, 2010, 08:58:28 PM
This wasn't about doing anyone other than myself any favours, rather that I would personally like to live on a planet with fewer superstitious idiots.  I think that would be just swell.

Then I would feel bad about fucking with people, and that would be undesirable.
Molon Lube

Captain Utopia

Then quite possibly we have conflicting goals and you may have just uncovered a minor nemesis.

Curses, Doktor Howl - I'm not afraid of you!  :argh!:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: FP on February 09, 2010, 09:14:30 PM
Then quite possibly we have conflicting goals and you may have just uncovered a minor nemesis.

Curses, Doktor Howl - I'm not afraid of you!  :argh!:

Nobody is afraid of Doktor Howl.
Molon Lube

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: FP on February 09, 2010, 08:58:28 PM
Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on February 09, 2010, 04:20:45 PM

Superstitious idiots are a problem, why is it objectionable to point out small but incremental contributions to that problem?  I didn't think I was going overboard, sorry Lys, if it came across as an attack.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 09, 2010, 04:22:34 PM

- Canada Bill Jones.

you seem to be laboring under the mistaken impression that there is ANYTHING that could stop these monkeys from being superstitious idiots.

Given that nothing will change their behavior, we might as well profit from it.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Captain Utopia

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Joh'Nyx on February 06, 2010, 06:29:02 AM

Im not in the mood right now to read.

But i predict the technique it expresses is about giving out make-feel-good transference, making ambiguous but "profound" remarks and about absorbing all the information the person gives you, and "processing it" into "intelligent guessing".

I figure that lonely-avoidant-neurotic people call these services; most just need a pat in the back or someone that will listen to them, im almost sure that they wouldnt call you on a "bad reading" either way...

Did you know that the voice of a person, has a lot of information?

(Example: little girl's voice on any woman over 17, it makes the hair on my neck stand up (which i have none, but you know what i mean))

My friend, who I will for the sake of conversation call Carolina, has a little-girl voice, but that is simply because of the length of her vocal cords. You know that most people don't have any control over that, right? She's a drama major, and has done significant voice modulation training, but her natural speaking range sounds more like that of a little girl than my 12-year-old does.

I have a fairly deep voice for a woman. I didn't do anything to make it that way.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."