News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

Calling it now: Dems snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in 2016.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 04, 2015, 12:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 13, 2015, 07:52:53 PM
It would definitely be interesting.  If I were advising the Republicans, I'd suggest they try and focus on a social conservatism that is ethnically inclusive, but religiously derived.  That kind of message could allow them to capture significant black and latino votes, not to mention possibly even win back the Muslim vote (if they toned down the explicitly Christian appeal).

However, given the prominence with which the term "cuckservative" is being used, it seems if anything they're retreating into race-based psychosexual panic of the most hysterical kind.

They severely missed the boat in terms of actually using their religious platform to their best advantage. If they had gone with racial and cultural inclusiveness, they could have the black, the Latino, a lot of the Asian, and possibly even the moderate Muslim vote. They could have left the racists with the historically racist Democrats, and nobody but the rich would be getting abortions or birth control.

It's really for the best that they're stupid, I guess.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 14, 2015, 06:10:27 AM
It would definitely be interesting.  If I were advising the Republicans, I'd suggest they try and focus on a social conservatism that is ethnically inclusive, but religiously derived.  That kind of message could allow them to capture significant black and latino votes, not to mention possibly even win back the Muslim vote (if they toned down the explicitly Christian appeal).

However, given the prominence with which the term "cuckservative" is being used, it seems if anything they're retreating into race-based psychosexual panic of the most hysterical kind.

They severely missed the boat in terms of actually using their religious platform to their best advantage. If they had gone with racial and cultural inclusiveness, they could have the black, the Latino, a lot of the Asian, and possibly even the moderate Muslim vote. They could have left the racists with the historically racist Democrats, and nobody but the rich would be getting abortions or birth control.

I wonder if Colin Powell is interested in running. As a prez candidate or even running mate (though VP would be less ideal) he might be able to bridge the racial gaps, "be strong" on military and intelligence, restore credibility to the Republicans, and make for 2 nonwhite executive elections in a row. Republicans could even intentionally and overtly suggest comparison to promote the idea.

Colin Powell could save the Republican Party and The US, but he's not running. :(
I'd vote for him.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

President Television

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on August 15, 2015, 02:11:39 AM

I wonder if Colin Powell is interested in running. As a prez candidate or even running mate (though VP would be less ideal) he might be able to bridge the racial gaps, "be strong" on military and intelligence, restore credibility to the Republicans, and make for 2 nonwhite executive elections in a row. Republicans could even intentionally and overtly suggest comparison to promote the idea.

Colin Powell could save the Republican Party and The US, but he's not running. :(
I'd vote for him.

That's an interesting proposition. I imagine a Powell presidency wouldn't be much different from a Clinton presidency on a practical level, but it could have the long-term effect of fostering greater tolerance within the Republican party. Colin Powell himself seems like a perfectly reasonable conservative, one who looks positively centrist by today's standards. Someone with a preference for low taxes, strong military, and small government, but not a suicidally ideological preference. It could pull them back from the brink while stripping them of the qualities that make them so repellent at present.

Sanders vs. Powell 2012: No matter who wins, we win.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Doktor Howl

I'd vote for him.

Powell will never run, because his wife has some mental health issues, and he won't put her through that.  He's made that absolutely clear over the last few election cycles.

Also, he's more than a little horrified at the moment, by his own admission.
Molon Lube

President Television

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 15, 2015, 02:55:52 AM

I'd vote for him.

Powell will never run, because his wife has some mental health issues, and he won't put her through that.  He's made that absolutely clear over the last few election cycles.

It's such a nice pipe dream, though. Imagine an election in which both candidates treat each other with respect.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Cain

Didn't Powell also endorse Obama in 2008?

I mean, Trump can get away with his funding of Clinton, but I doubt Powell would be let off the hook so easy.  Plus his record at the State Department would make him easy prey for the Democrats, in addition to some Republicans looking to stick the dagger in purely due to his skin colour.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on August 15, 2015, 03:13:12 AM
Didn't Powell also endorse Obama in 2008?

I mean, Trump can get away with his funding of Clinton, but I doubt Powell would be let off the hook so easy.  Plus his record at the State Department would make him easy prey for the Democrats, in addition to some Republicans looking to stick the dagger in purely due to his skin colour.

Yeah, if they could do it and get away with it.

Mostly, they'd just fail to support him.  Like they did to McCain.
Molon Lube

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 15, 2015, 02:55:52 AM

I'd vote for him.

Yeah I figured if he could be he would be. I'm sorry to hear that his wife is unwell.

The whole "clowncar" thing is starting to freak me out. Like it's a little TOO apt.
Last time Trump was running I made the joke in a stand up bit about fortune telling something like

"and with the election of The Trump a clear signal will be given of the end of the age of reason"

Now he's trying again and doing better in terms of polls by playing UP his atrocious and demeaning demeanor. We're fucked.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: President Television on August 15, 2015, 02:52:08 AM

I'd vote for him.

That's an interesting proposition. I imagine a Powell presidency wouldn't be much different from a Clinton presidency on a practical level, but it could have the long-term effect of fostering greater tolerance within the Republican party. Colin Powell himself seems like a perfectly reasonable conservative, one who looks positively centrist by today's standards. Someone with a preference for low taxes, strong military, and small government, but not a suicidally ideological preference. It could pull them back from the brink while stripping them of the qualities that make them so repellent at present.

Sanders vs. Powell 2012: No matter who wins, we win.

At this point he'd be a no brainer just because he'd be the only one who is not batshit crazy in some sense or another. It was just a thought that struck me. He was the only person in the Bush jr. Administration that I really liked and believed wanted the best for the nation, but was not the ultimate shot caller and did his best with the hand he had.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

At this point he's a no brainer because he's not fucking running.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Prediction: Bernie Sanders will lose the nomination, and disgruntled supporters will blame it on Black Lives Matter, fomenting even more (of the already considerable) submerged racism within the Democratic party.

Cain

Ayup.  And then they'll throw their weight behind Hillary, whom I have to say seems very dismissive of BLM.  I mean, she goes through the motions, but she also did the "all lives matter" nonsense and apparently didn't seem very engaged the last time she met with BLM activists.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 15, 2015, 07:47:05 PM
Ayup.  And then they'll throw their weight behind Hillary, whom I have to say seems very dismissive of BLM.  I mean, she goes through the motions, but she also did the "all lives matter" nonsense and apparently didn't seem very engaged the last time she met with BLM activists.

It's going to be hillarious.

See what I did there? It's because I hate humanity.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on August 15, 2015, 04:35:00 PM
Prediction: Bernie Sanders will lose the nomination, and disgruntled supporters will blame it on Black Lives Matter, fomenting even more (of the already considerable) submerged racism within the Democratic party.

I will say that you are absolutely right, for about 20-25% of his voters.  Those being the fanatics.  This also gives the fanatics an "out" to vote for HRC when he loses, so that's exactly what they're going to do.  Disgusting as it may be.

Right now, he's leading HRC in New Hampshire, so I am thinking that 3/4s of his voters are interested in the message and not the cult of personality.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

If they could do that, they wouldn't be republicans.
Molon Lube