News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Oh LOL

Started by Cain, July 08, 2014, 11:00:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Shapiro

Suu

YTMND is still a piece of internet artistry.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Faust

Quote from: The Johnny on July 08, 2014, 09:11:36 PM

I know from second-hand that Tumblr is just a bunch of fart huffing about "triggers" and new useless retarded nomenclature, but this seems to go beyond that and its a bit atrocious.

The word "trigger" is very unfortunate in it that it is so cumbersome and backfires. While phrases like graphic, vulgar, upsetting, horrific, traumatic content clearly convey the meaning, posts about triggering tumblrs multitude of mentally scarred ptsd sufferers comes off as ridiculous and is only going to be fuel on the fire. 4chan will be lapping that up.

"Trigger warning" has to be the prime example of well meaning internet phrase development implemented in the most self defeating fashion.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Faust

Quote from: Cain on July 09, 2014, 04:47:34 PM
QuoteTumblr issued it's declaration of war a good 4-5 days ago or so, and provided causus belli within 2-3 hours of 4chan becoming aware of it all.
Tumblr's "attack" consisted of putting "lol we're raiding u" threads up (maybe one or two on the more popular boards) and it fizzled out into obscurity over the course of 12 hours.

Nobody on 4chan even really cares about this anymore...not even the neo nazi imbeciles on /pol/. It's over...and all it amounts to is the occasional thread where some tumblrfag/tumblrfag imitator comes on and rants about how fucked up 4chan is, drops the word "trigger" 9001 times, and then has their thread drop off the board from lack of interest.

Well, I'm so dreadfully sorry that some of us, y'know, work weekends and so have no time to surf the internet for the latest outrages as and when they happen.

As you may have guessed, that's Sarcasmese for "fuck off you pretentious twit."

Yeah this ^^^^

Faust,
Out of the loop.

The Johnny

Quote from: Faust on July 09, 2014, 10:47:11 PM

I know from second-hand that Tumblr is just a bunch of fart huffing about "triggers" and new useless retarded nomenclature, but this seems to go beyond that and its a bit atrocious.

The word "trigger" is very unfortunate in it that it is so cumbersome and backfires. While phrases like graphic, vulgar, upsetting, horrific, traumatic content clearly convey the meaning, posts about triggering tumblrs multitude of mentally scarred ptsd sufferers comes off as ridiculous and is only going to be fuel on the fire. 4chan will be lapping that up.

"Trigger warning" has to be the prime example of well meaning internet phrase development implemented in the most self defeating fashion.

I SUPPOSE there's legitimate uses of the word, but its overuse has converted it into "i disagree with this, so im going to blow it out of proportion to guilt-shame the poster of this thing i disagree with and make him/her look like a monster".

Also, a "trigger" is also a very subjective matter and it has an aspiration to make it an objective interpretation... i.e. "OMFG that picture of a puppy triggered me because X and you are such an insensitive asshole for posting it"... its extending the responsability of oneselves feelings/reactions on the hands of another person.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Ben Shapiro

My trigger word is TUMBLR.

von

Quote from: Cain on July 09, 2014, 04:47:34 PM
QuoteTumblr issued it's declaration of war a good 4-5 days ago or so, and provided causus belli within 2-3 hours of 4chan becoming aware of it all.
Tumblr's "attack" consisted of putting "lol we're raiding u" threads up (maybe one or two on the more popular boards) and it fizzled out into obscurity over the course of 12 hours.

Nobody on 4chan even really cares about this anymore...not even the neo nazi imbeciles on /pol/. It's over...and all it amounts to is the occasional thread where some tumblrfag/tumblrfag imitator comes on and rants about how fucked up 4chan is, drops the word "trigger" 9001 times, and then has their thread drop off the board from lack of interest.

Well, I'm so dreadfully sorry that some of us, y'know, work weekends and so have no time to surf the internet for the latest outrages as and when they happen.

As you may have guessed, that's Sarcasmese for "fuck off you pretentious twit."

Well in that case, im dreadfully sorry to have caused you such anguish. You really seem upset...

The Johnny

Dude, when i grow up i want to be cool like Von, up to date by the hour to all the cool gossip on the internets, then someone will appreciate me.

Until that day comes ill have to suffer an existance of *gasp* being employable! Oh the dread! But one day...
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm the lucky one, because I have nerdy teenage children who are out of school and thus were able to inform me about these important goings-on several days ago.

Being an uncool middle-aged mom has its perks.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm going to assume that von is either an uncool middle-aged mom, a nerdy teenage child, or one of those weird virginal 20-something shut-ins who do the same things nerdy teenage children do.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

Quote from: The Johnny on July 09, 2014, 11:35:46 PM

I SUPPOSE there's legitimate uses of the word, but its overuse has converted it into "i disagree with this, so im going to blow it out of proportion to guilt-shame the poster of this thing i disagree with and make him/her look like a monster".

Also, a "trigger" is also a very subjective matter and it has an aspiration to make it an objective interpretation... i.e. "OMFG that picture of a puppy triggered me because X and you are such an insensitive asshole for posting it"... its extending the responsability of oneselves feelings/reactions on the hands of another person.

There is of course a legitimate use, its just unfortunate phrasing, because the actual sound of the phrase is stupid. No one bats an eyelid if someone posts Warning - Graphic or upsetting content, this was common and used widely.
But if someone posts that ridiculous phrase "Trigger warning - x" is easy for the average person to dismiss it, or react badly to it, or worse directly target it like 4chan did because of the humorous nature of the phrase.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on July 10, 2014, 06:29:48 AM
Quote from: The Johnny on July 09, 2014, 11:35:46 PM

There is of course a legitimate use, its just unfortunate phrasing, because the actual sound of the phrase is stupid. No one bats an eyelid if someone posts Warning - Graphic or upsetting content, this was common and used widely.
But if someone posts that ridiculous phrase "Trigger warning - x" is easy for the average person to dismiss it, or react badly to it, or worse directly target it like 4chan did because of the humorous nature of the phrase.

Yeah, it's one of those terms in psychology -- the concept that certain content can trigger a PTSD episode -- that entered popular lingo and immediately lost its original meaning.

The Johnny

We can contrast this to NSFW and Epilepsy warnings, which actually convey a type of accurate description.

-B.F. Skinner

Pope Lecherous

--- War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

Suu

Relevant. Tumblr's "Dashcon" turned out to be a megashitshow.

http://jezebel.com/the-tumblr-user-convention-dashcon-was-a-beautiful-hil-1604571770

BALL PIT.

EXTRA HOUR IN THE BALL PIT.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."