Started by Eater of Clowns, August 11, 2016, 12:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 15, 2016, 01:01:44 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 15, 2016, 12:46:35 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 14, 2016, 11:41:50 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 14, 2016, 11:20:43 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 14, 2016, 10:50:35 PM
Hey, you know what's better than a great bigass bear on the mountain?

A mated pair of bigass bears on the mountain.  :banana:

The Holy Man class gets attack bears now. I have a barely formed "Final Fantasy" like rpg video game in my head from since the Jehovabubba incident and the Holy Man gets attack fauna under a power called Holy. Thinking angry weasels, supply pigeons, and now attack bears.

I'm trying to flesh out the basic rules from the card game in my head right now though. I'm most of the way through a play description and hope to have it roughed out to post before I flesh out more cards so it won't be without context.

All I'm saying is, nobody better make fun of my hair.

https://bible.org/seriespage/4-elisha-and-two-bears-2-kings-223-25

QuoteWe must remember, however, that the Word of God, which is alive and active, is also the mighty channel the Spirit of God uses to bring men out of darkness... yadayadayada

After this point it's all Jesusprop, but here's an essential point as I see it. The Holy Fear is a sacred state and dispensation to dispense The Fear a major "perk" of the whole Holy Man gig. There was a time when the rest of nature was a sufficient means to this vital end. It kept humans healthy and REASONABLE to never know when 1200 lbs of fuzzy deathbeast could become a thing at any given time.

But once things got all "civil" the need for supplemental Holy dispensation became evident, thus the Holy Man was set apart to be a reminder to folks of what they had to look forward to going back to if they fuck up, which they always do without healthy dosages of The Fear.

This is why I, as your Holy Man™, have decided to go back to fundamentals.  By which I mean bears.

:baby:
That moment when you think your joke is funny and your Holy Man decided to get all "fundamental" about shit.  :eek:
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 15, 2016, 01:01:44 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 15, 2016, 12:46:35 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 14, 2016, 11:41:50 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 14, 2016, 11:20:43 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 14, 2016, 10:50:35 PM
Hey, you know what's better than a great bigass bear on the mountain?

A mated pair of bigass bears on the mountain.  :banana:

The Holy Man class gets attack bears now. I have a barely formed "Final Fantasy" like rpg video game in my head from since the Jehovabubba incident and the Holy Man gets attack fauna under a power called Holy. Thinking angry weasels, supply pigeons, and now attack bears.

I'm trying to flesh out the basic rules from the card game in my head right now though. I'm most of the way through a play description and hope to have it roughed out to post before I flesh out more cards so it won't be without context.

All I'm saying is, nobody better make fun of my hair.

https://bible.org/seriespage/4-elisha-and-two-bears-2-kings-223-25

QuoteWe must remember, however, that the Word of God, which is alive and active, is also the mighty channel the Spirit of God uses to bring men out of darkness... yadayadayada

After this point it's all Jesusprop, but here's an essential point as I see it. The Holy Fear is a sacred state and dispensation to dispense The Fear a major "perk" of the whole Holy Man gig. There was a time when the rest of nature was a sufficient means to this vital end. It kept humans healthy and REASONABLE to never know when 1200 lbs of fuzzy deathbeast could become a thing at any given time.

But once things got all "civil" the need for supplemental Holy dispensation became evident, thus the Holy Man was set apart to be a reminder to folks of what they had to look forward to going back to if they fuck up, which they always do without healthy dosages of The Fear.

This is why I, as your Holy Man™, have decided to go back to fundamentals.  By which I mean bears.

I think you mean....nope not going to do it....I must resist the pun....

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 15, 2016, 12:50:31 AM
Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on October 15, 2016, 12:14:18 AM
:lulz: People are trying to get pet pigs allowed within Chicago city limits.  I hope people appreciate just how fecking big even small breeds of pigs get.

I feel they have not thought this all the way through.

It's certainly going to add a new element of terror to Chicago's burgeoning gang warfare.  Just wait until actual pigs are getting shot.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 15, 2016, 04:13:15 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 15, 2016, 12:50:31 AM
Quote from: Trivial <insert joke> on October 15, 2016, 12:14:18 AM
:lulz: People are trying to get pet pigs allowed within Chicago city limits.  I hope people appreciate just how fecking big even small breeds of pigs get.

I feel they have not thought this all the way through.

It's certainly going to add a new element of terror to Chicago's burgeoning gang warfare.  Just wait until actual pigs are getting shot.

:lulz: It's going to create a whole new dynamic.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

So my cousin, who used to live in Phoenix but now lives in Texas somewhere, is a die-hard Trump suppporter. 

I actually like him, but everything of his that pops up in my fb feed is pro-Trump bullshit.  I don't know whether, at this point, to cut all ties with him (because the shit he posts is truly grotesque) or keep trying to bash him around the head with logic. 

MithridatesXXIII

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Freeky on October 15, 2016, 08:48:09 PM
So my cousin, who used to live in Phoenix but now lives in Texas somewhere, is a die-hard Trump suppporter. 

I actually like him, but everything of his that pops up in my fb feed is pro-Trump bullshit.  I don't know whether, at this point, to cut all ties with him (because the shit he posts is truly grotesque) or keep trying to bash him around the head with logic.

Try after the election, when he can justify changing his mind because Trump's a loser1.

If he could listen to logic right now, he wouldn't be voting for Trump.

1 Seriously, Trump now brings to mind the image of a suicide bomber whose bomb vest just won't blow the fuck up.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

MithridatesXXIII

Quote from: Freeky on October 16, 2016, 05:01:01 PM
Quote from: MithridatesXXIII on October 16, 2016, 06:43:59 AM
Freeky, have you tried pathos or ethos?

Both.

It doesn't matter, I finally blocked him.

I feel for you. I actually have a cousin in Jersey who's a Trump supporter, but after a lot of peer pressure from the family he claims he won't vote for him. Unfortunately that doesn't stop him from posting alt-right memes and red pill type shit. Hopefully he doesn't actually plan to vote for Trump in secret while he silently regards us as cucks lol.

Freeky

Yeah, shit like that sucks.

In other news, I found a font that is dicks.  Seriously.  http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=112&psize=s&l[]=10&l[]=1 Should be second one down, it's called "semi."

Q. G. Pennyworth

Survived family gathering with the racist uncle. Nobody called the cops, even!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

DAY 15 ALONE IN THE HOUSE: 

Room is spinning.  Fred and his cousins are wearing grass skirts while they do their dance for me.  "Where did you hide the axe," Fred croons at me, "And how do you expect to get your mail delivered from now on?"  I laugh and laugh until I can't stop screaming.  Fred smiles his little lizard smile, his feet making tacky sucking noises from the congealed, rust-colored fluid puddled on the coffee table.  I would try to get up off the floor if there were any point to it.  I think I have guinea worms.  Or that Thai takeout was probably a little older than I thought.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

So, teaching college students is "fun" and "rewarding" in some ways that deserve to be airquoted, but it also introduces a whole level of WTFery. I have six students who just never turned in their homework, but they keep coming to lab. There are no participation points and the only things they're graded on are the weekly quizzes and lab reports. Why do they show up when they have apparently ALREADY committed to failing the class? It's a mystery.

Then there are the ones who apparently think that not knowing how to do something is sufficient reason to not have to learn to do it. These students apparently mistook the university for summer camp, because they don't seem to grasp that the point of paying $1200 for the class is to learn stuff they don't already know, like how to follow directions on a protocol and properly format a lab report, so as to ultimately be able to get and keep a job.

These, beyond a doubt, are the students who will, ten years from now, complain that college isn't worth it because they couldn't get a job in their field.

Junkenstein

QuoteWhy do they show up when they have apparently ALREADY committed to failing the class? It's a mystery.

Please inform them of this in your usual delicate way. Please also ensure someone is nearby with a camera to capture the reactions. I'm guessing a mix of anger and denial depending on how smart they are.

I'm starting to understand why your colleges are talked about as adult daycare though.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.