News:

PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

Fearful. >:/

Started by Sister Fracture, November 20, 2010, 08:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sister Fracture

The City was calling me. It's still calling me. I resisted for a while, but I broke down. Everyone does, in the end. I broke down, but I didn't go. I couldn't. I knew better.

I couldn't stand the pacing in the hall, the racing in my chest. A bad night to be indoors. So I grabbed something warm and shoes and keys and went out and sat in the old, broken woman, but something was amiss. I put the key in the ignition, turned it to Accessory, and felt the Watching. You know the feeling.

I looked round, and at first saw no one. Then I saw- it was lurking, trying to hide. I saw it again, this time in less light. It blinked. It was a shape, sort of like people, but misshapen, wrong. Reddish shadow where it shouldn't be. The City, localized. It watched. Waited.

What could I do? I'm not lucky enough to test when the City comes to call.
Roaring Berserkery Bunny of the North Endâ„¢

A Tucsonite is like a Christian in several important ways.  For one thing, they believe what they say about their god in the most literal, straightfaced way possible.  For another, they both know their god can hear them.  The difference between the two, however, is quite vast in terms of their relationship with their god; Christians believe in His benevolence, but Tucsonites KNOW of The City's spite and hate.

Kai

Keep your meathamma always by your side, SF.

We need to get you a holster for that thing.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish