News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

Kai's research thread/caddisfly geekout

Started by Kai, October 22, 2008, 11:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

(Formerly Known as "I just discovered a new species today.")

ASK ME ANYTHING!!1
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jasper

Kai

Its a caddisfly of the Genus Ceraclea in the family Leptoceridae (longhorned caddisflies) from Nigeria. I found it in one of the 35 year old Nigerian caddisfly samples I'm working through. They've been on loan from the British Museum for 25 years and they need to go back. ANYWAY.

Technically it is not completely verified yet. I was looking through a sample this morning when I kept running across this Leptocerid that didn't seem to have all the characters of a Leptocerid yet had extremely long antennae (thus the name "long horned"). I showed it to my advisor who is a worldwide expert on Leptocerids, and he said it was probably a Ceraclea. He took a closer look and said "this is an aberant Ceraclea, look at the terminalia. Its different than any I've ever seen, probably a new species." His doctorate was on the revision of the genus, so I'm pretty damn sure he knows what he is talking about. I've looked at the related african species too, and there are none that come anywhere close to resembling this one, even with the abdomen yet uncleared.

So, I have to clear the abdomen with lactic acid, take a closer look and do some comparisons. Then if it really is a species new to science, I get to describe and name it, and then publish.  :D

Better yet, there are likely more unnamed species in the set, this is just the first one that was obvious.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Elder Iptuous

Vene

Quote from: Iptuous on October 23, 2008, 12:01:40 AM
whatcha gonna name it?
I suggest Ceraclea spaggus.  Actually, anything with "spag" in it.

Kai

whatcha gonna name it?

Probably after the type location (still haven't figured out if the name refers to a stream, river, village, region or what), or, as my roommate just suggested, maybe after the person who collected it. I forget what the location is exactly, something like Sarudo, saradu, or suradu.

So, maybe Ceraclea saraduensis, or C. hilli (after the collector), or perhaps just C. nigeriaca.

Its considered in bad taste to name randomly, after pop culture, or after yourself. Remember the Draconis hogwartzia? This is why we can't have nice things.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Kai on October 23, 2008, 01:36:34 AM
Its considered in bad taste to name randomly, after pop culture, or after yourself. Remember the Draconis hogwartzia? This is why we can't have nice things.

What?!  considered by who? stick-in-the-mud taxonomists, that's who....  :argh!:
I'm reminded of the louse specie G.Larsoni named after the illustrator of the FarbSide comic.  that's a nice thing, right there.  :D

Vene

whatcha gonna name it?

Probably after the type location (still haven't figured out if the name refers to a stream, river, village, region or what), or, as my roommate just suggested, maybe after the person who collected it. I forget what the location is exactly, something like Sarudo, saradu, or suradu.

So, maybe Ceraclea saraduensis, or C. hilli (after the collector), or perhaps just C. nigeriaca.

Biochemists are just as bad.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Vene on October 23, 2008, 02:14:25 AM
whatcha gonna name it?

Biochemists are just as bad.
And don't forget Mothers against decapentaplegic.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Kai

Like I said, THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.  :argh!:

Vene

Cain

Congratulations on finding your (possibly) new species.

Cramulus

Longshot question:

Are you familliar with Elise Craddock? She's a horrible old Australian woman who taught my intro to bio class, and considers herself a Big Deal in entomological circles. Apparently discovered some species of hawaiian fly.

Kai

The more I think about it, the more I realize it has to be. The Afrotropics are one of those biotic regions that has been poorly explored. In the Neartic (North and most of central America), 95% of all Trichoptera species are suspected to have been described now. In the West Paleartic (Europe and africa from the Saharra north) that percent is even closer to one hundred. Yet it suspected by trichopterists we have only described 20% of all caddisfly species, the other 80% occuring in the Neotropics (Soth America), the Afrotropics, the East Palearctic (Russia, Japan, Mongolia and Norther China), Australiasian (Australia, New Zealand, Oceana) but mostly it is believed these species will be found in the Oriental, which includes India, China, Southeast asia, and Indonesia. New species are being found from all these regions all the time, so its not that unlikely I have a new species of Ceraclea, especially since the African Ceraclea have been poorly investigated in the past (i.e. there have only been 3 new descriptions in the afrotropics since my advisor published his world revision in the early 70s, and none since the late 80s).

Plus, just thinking about the structure of the terminalia and how none of it matches up to the previous drawings. I will find out for sure today.

Cramulus

looked it up and her name is spelled "Elysse M. Craddock"

again, long shot